COMLETE-romance The Glory Of The Conquered-Susan Glaspell-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Jennifer,

I was afraid you were going to ask that question! I've never been able to get rid of them while recording completely, but people with more experience than I have made some suggestions that help: making sure your mouth is relaxed (over-trying to pronounce clearly makes them worse), making sure your mouth is well-hydrated (stopping to drink occasionally), and eating an apple ahead of time. The ones between words are easy to edit out, but those in the middle of words can be difficult. Phil Chenevert has some very good YouTube videos that you can use to learn all-things-editing for Librivox. If you haven't yet, you'll run into him around here, and he's fun to work with.

I also found that getting my mouth further from the mic helped a lot, so I started using a stand-alone mic rather than a headset, although that brought new challenges with ambient noise.

I got some great advice from another reader whose reading I admired. It's the May 30, 2015 posting in this great topic: Making Your Reading Sound Great.
Arlene
---------------------------------------------
Every day is a new adventure!
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Sure, Jenipher. 10 is all yours.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Thanks!

I am working on 10 and realized I pronounced "Hubers" two different ways! Ack!

In Chap 9 I said "hub-ers." In 10, I said both "hub-ers" and "hue-bers."

Clearly, I need to be consistent (at least within chap 10!) - which why should I say it?
Critical feedback is ALWAYS welcome - in the forum or via PM
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Previous readers have been pronouncing it hue-bers, so it might be best to stick with that.
Arlene
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Here is Chap 10:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/gloryofconquered_10_glaspell_128kp.mp3

Length is 12:47

Luckily, I only mispronounced Hubers 1x and got it right the rest :) I fixed that one.
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

So now I have a Librivox etiquette question:

I am really annoyed that I mispronounced Hubers in the first chap I did (chap 9) even though it is only there in one paragraph (but 2 times there). I am also not thrilled on my re-listen to hear sections that sound oddly echo-y or hollow. I didn't hear that before when I listened.

Anyway... is it more trouble to the PL and the BC (and any one else involved) for me to re-record and reload that chapter? Should I leave it alone or is it OK to redo it?
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Arlene,

Thank you for the tips on recording. I have been watching those videos and have even seen that thread although I don't think I'd read that post.

I tried to incorporate some of those suggestions into Chap 10. I paused, drank etc. I already am using a stand alone mic positioned to the side of my mouth. I did get more aggressive with the listening for and editing out clicks. Some were too much a part of the end of a word for me to get without making the word sound cut off so I did have to leave some.

I would appreciate if you could tell me if you notice a difference.
Jennifer
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

JenniferFour wrote:Anyway... is it more trouble to the PL and the BC (and any one else involved) for me to re-record and reload that chapter? Should I leave it alone or is it OK to redo it?
If you want to re-record it, I don't mind PL-ing it again. It's fine the way it is, but it's important that you be happy with it, because you'll always know it's out there.
Arlene
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

Thank you Arlene, that is very kind of you.

Here is a new version of Chap 9: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/gloryofconquered_09_glaspell_128kp.mp3

This is the first time I used a pop filter - not sure I can tell a difference.

Length: 10:35
Teresita

Post by Teresita »

I am embarrassed and here's how my first librivox recording attempt has gone:

Oct 19th- first one minute test
November 1st- new microphone arrived that day, and in my excitement I redid my one minute test late that night. Two or three hours after posting the test I got a real shortness of breath, and started wheezing and gurgling. I had been taking care of a sick dog that had a severe respiratory infection, and the vet was wrong, it was something contagious to humans. I was sicker than I have probably been in my life, and in bed on my back for 15 days before I started to recooperate but the rasp didn't leave my voice till however, about Nov 8th.

Nov 10th- I recorded two of six pages. Feeling good about that, I then posted a note saying I'd be able to finish by Dec 20th. I relapsed later that night, and much to my shock and dismay, and while the cold was better the rasp in my voicebox was worse. I was really embarrassed, and I kept thinking, "okay, well if I have to do this all on the last day, I will, this is my first recording, and I want to come through on it." I was seeming to get better, and so even though the 20th passed me by I still felt like any day I'd be able to record. Then yesterday, I started to get much worse.

I'm really sorry I did not come through on this, because it is important to me to finish things that I start whether others require that of me or not. However, in this case, I don't see that I will be better any time soon. It seems that, all the course of antibiotics that I was prescribed seems to have done was, provide a lull long enough for me to be better for about four days, before coming back with a lower grade of what I had before. Now that I have gotten worse again, I can't predict I'll able to record any time soon.

When I am back at 100% and staying there, I may put my tail between my legs and try again.

Teresita
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Wow! What a story. I am so sorry to hear. Librivox should be the least of your worrys. Get better soon. If you will feel like returning when you are better, we are here. All the best wishes,
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

The re-recording of Chapter 9 sounds wonderful!

Chapter 10 is great except for a missing sentence. The first sentence of the second paragraph seems to have been cut out.
Arlene
ArleneJoyce

Post by ArleneJoyce »

Take good care of yourself, Laurissa! That sounds just horrible.

I'm looking forward to hearing you when you do get better. As Miss Stav said, we'll still be here.
Arlene
JenniferFour

Post by JenniferFour »

So sorry about the missing sentence! Really glad you caught that. I found it fortunately in one version before the final - you were right, a cutting error.

Here is the new version: https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/gloryofconquered_10_glaspell_128kp.mp3

The sentence is inserted at second 55.

Length is now: 12:51
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hay Jenipher,
thank you. Want to continue with 11 and 12? Regards,
Stav.