COMPLETE Nobody's boy by Hector Malot -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Ok, finally got through chapter 24! It is shorter than I expected it to be given the word count, so I assume I may have been rushing it :oops:. When listening to it myself it sounded very comprehensible though. Let me know if you feel differently Lynda, and I will be more than happy to re record. Had fun with it, and can't wait for my other chapter!

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/nobodysboy_24_malot_128kb.mp3
33:38
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Both these are PL OK Bhavya! Thanks for all the edits - well done!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Foon wrote: March 5th, 2019, 6:05 am Hi Carolin,
Here's section 22:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/nobodysboy_22_malot_128kb.mp3
30:24
Excellent reading Foon! PL OK!

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 8th, 2019, 7:12 am Ok, finally got through chapter 24! It is shorter than I expected it to be given the word count, so I assume I may have been rushing it :oops:. When listening to it myself it sounded very comprehensible though. Let me know if you feel differently Lynda, and I will be more than happy to re record. Had fun with it, and can't wait for my other chapter!

Hi Campbell -

That recording was great and I liked the speed with which you spoke. Humans can listen faster than they can speak so I like it when people speak at a faster rate as then I am not waiting for the next words...

As for PL feedback - here it is -

00:00 - in general I find your recordings start immediately - please leave a .5 to 1 second silence at the beginning.
5:55 – repeat remove the 1st one please
7:59 = repeat remove the 1st one please
11:37 – said “would” text says “could” Makes a difference in the context of the book.
18:01 – missing “I replied”
18:02 – repeat “to prove that” – remove the 1st one please

Talk to you soon!

Lynda
lymiewithpurpose

Lmnei wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:02 pm
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 8th, 2019, 7:12 am Ok, finally got through chapter 24! It is shorter than I expected it to be given the word count, so I assume I may have been rushing it :oops:. When listening to it myself it sounded very comprehensible though. Let me know if you feel differently Lynda, and I will be more than happy to re record. Had fun with it, and can't wait for my other chapter!

Hi Campbell -

That recording was great and I liked the speed with which you spoke. Humans can listen faster than they can speak so I like it when people speak at a faster rate as then I am not waiting for the next words...

As for PL feedback - here it is -

00:00 - in general I find your recordings start immediately - please leave a .5 to 1 second silence at the beginning.
5:55 – repeat remove the 1st one please
7:59 = repeat remove the 1st one please
11:37 – said “would” text says “could” Makes a difference in the context of the book.
18:01 – missing “I replied”
18:02 – repeat “to prove that” – remove the 1st one please

Talk to you soon!

Lynda
Thank you so much Lynda! I apologize for all of my mistakes, as my chronic illness worsens I find myself making more and more and not catching them when re listening. I changed all your feedback, and have a question about the first one. I believed the goal was merely to stay under 1 second, anywhere from 0-1 would be fine but no more than 0.5-1. Is this not correct? I am a bit confused since I have never gotten this note before. I do not doubt your knowledge of the rules (you have been here a very long time and know much better than me :D) I was just hoping to get some clarification on that so I know how to best do future recordings:). Thanks for your careful listening!

33:26
Campbell
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Campbell -

I will let Carolin answer this question about the silence at the start - I have just noticed that your recordings start immediately and I often miss what you first say even though I start at the very beginning. I always start my recordings between .5 and 1 second.

I will Spot PL this in a little bit!

I know what you mean about a Chronic Illness - I am currently in bed doing my PL'ing as I have multiple chronic conditions myself and I have to watch how much energy I spend each day going out or doing tasks...

Lynda
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Lmnei wrote: March 8th, 2019, 10:39 am
Both these are PL OK Bhavya! Thanks for all the edits - well done!

Lynda
Thank you Lynda!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 8th, 2019, 12:31 pm I changed all your feedback, and have a question about the first one. I believed the goal was merely to stay under 1 second, anywhere from 0-1 would be fine but no more than 0.5-1. Is this not correct?
This is correct. The 0.5-1 second instructions basically ask readers not to leave too much silence at the start of recordings. When listeners press play they expect to hear sound within the space of, say, a heartbeat. Our dpls generally do not count milliseconds, and general practice at librivox is that 0-2.5 seconds is okay. This is not an essential part of our recordings after all.

Lynda, i remember that we had two discussions about this issue before. Let me know if i need to explain it again.
Carolin
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Yes Carolin I remember the discussions.

The reason why I brought these up is each time I listened to the recordings BOTH when I had in Audacity and in just a regular player such as Windows Media (just because I thought the Audacity overhead might be affecting the listening) the start of the recording was cut off as the recording started so close to the beginning.

99% of the recordings that I PL the people leave a "heartbeat" as you say at the beginning and it works very well when starting to listen to a recording as the software has the space to begin the recording and the start is heard in full.

I do not think it is too much to ask to leave that .5 of a second.

Lynda
lymiewithpurpose

Lmnei wrote: March 11th, 2019, 9:57 am The reason why I brought these up is each time I listened to the recordings BOTH when I had in Audacity and in just a regular player such as Windows Media (just because I thought the Audacity overhead might be affecting the listening) the start of the recording was cut off as the recording started so close to the beginning.
OK thank you Lynda! If you are missing any of my words than listeners will definitely miss it too and I do not want that to happen. I just wasn't sure if it was a rule or something like that and I wanted to make sure I knew how to best PL and record in the future. Because I do not want listeners to miss my words I will make sure to leave a bit of pause. Thank you so much for your great listening and feedback! Much appreciated!
Campbell
lymiewithpurpose

I finally was able to record again! Here's chapter 27 (I made sure to leave a bit of space at the beginning :D):

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/nobodysboy_27_malot_128kb.mp3
24:10
Lmnei wrote: March 8th, 2019, 1:10 pm
I know what you mean about a Chronic Illness - I am currently in bed doing my PL'ing as I have multiple chronic conditions myself and I have to watch how much energy I spend each day going out or doing tasks...

Lynda
I'm sorry, I know how hard chronic illness can be, in fact the reason I haven't been recording much lately is because it has taken immense effort to swallow/talk. For me it's just hard knowing that I'm only in high school and will have to deal with this my whole life. But hey, that makes two of us who PL while in bed :D
Campbell
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both :thumbs:
Carolin