COMPLETE: Rose Cottingham by Netta Syrett -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: November 18th, 2022, 7:27 am https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_24_syrett_128kb.mp3

'County people'? Well I would've missed that 10 out of 10 times - not sure I ever heard that expression. And you caught me trying to edit a word into existence - impressionable. Not sure what I said originally, but spent 10 minutes on a five second word thinking what a masterful re-masterer I was! To no avail! Now 27:40

Thanks,
Brize
PL OK! Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: November 18th, 2022, 11:52 am Chapter 28, Fame and an Invitation, attached, in 17:26:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_28_syrett_128kb.mp3

What an honor, to be the 'closer' of this fine book! (I'll watch here and the 'reader's found' threads for any needed 'tweaks' to my effort.)

Thank you,
Brize
Thank you for chapter 28! Nicely done, as always. I have just a few notes:

- At 6:02, "who revelled in a reputation for exotic tastes," I hear "who rebelled in a reputation for exotic tastes" (p. 393)
- At 15:35, "I'm afraid I see her what in your modern jargon is called," you say "I'm afraid I see her in what your modern jargon is called" (p. 398)

It is a fine book indeed! Thank you for helping to bring it to listeners!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Hello, I'm back from like three consecutive road trips, so here at last is...

Section 19
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_19_syrett_128kb.mp3
44:31

That was a long and harrowing chapter. Poor Rose! What a long, dark night of the soul!

Google found me two different pronounciations of Swinburne, and I will totally understand if you'd rather I used the other one. Also I don't actually speak French, and it may show. Also I'm worried I went a little heavy with Mme. La Touche's accent. ALL THE ANXIETY. WE HAVE IT ALL RIGHT HERE. Enjoy? :D
Nicole J. LeBoeuf. It rhymes with "I write stuff."
Recently completed: Orlando: A Biography (Virginia Woolf)
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:10 am Hello, I'm back from like three consecutive road trips, so here at last is...

Section 19
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_19_syrett_128kb.mp3
44:31

That was a long and harrowing chapter. Poor Rose! What a long, dark night of the soul!

Google found me two different pronounciations of Swinburne, and I will totally understand if you'd rather I used the other one. Also I don't actually speak French, and it may show. Also I'm worried I went a little heavy with Mme. La Touche's accent. ALL THE ANXIETY. WE HAVE IT ALL RIGHT HERE. Enjoy? :D
Thank you for section 19! It's PL OK. Syrett portrays Rose's youthful angst so vividly in this chapter!

Your sources of anxiety are nothing to worry about! :) Swinburne's name will be easily identifiable to listeners. Mlle. La Touche's accent was just right, and I wouldn't have been able to tell that you don't speak French.

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:54 pm
Thank you for section 19! It's PL OK. Syrett portrays Rose's youthful angst so vividly in this chapter!

Your sources of anxiety are nothing to worry about! :) Swinburne's name will be easily identifiable to listeners. Mlle. La Touche's accent was just right, and I wouldn't have been able to tell that you don't speak French.
Huzzah! Thank you, that is all very reassuring.

As always, a pleasure working with you on this project. Thank you for your PLing! Can't wait to hear the whole thing when it's done.
Say hi on Mastodon!
BrizeCrize

Post by BrizeCrize »

Scarbo wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:03 pm

Thank you for chapter 28! Nicely done, as always. I have just a few notes:

- At 6:02, "who revelled in a reputation for exotic tastes," I hear "who rebelled in a reputation for exotic tastes" (p. 393)
- At 15:35, "I'm afraid I see her what in your modern jargon is called," you say "I'm afraid I see her in what your modern jargon is called" (p. 398)

It is a fine book indeed! Thank you for helping to bring it to listeners!
Tweaks enclosed, below. I DID actually form the word 'revelled' with my mouth, but it's turned cold around here lately and I think air restrictions in my head airways made the 'v' sound like a 'b'. Hope it's better now, though 'v' is a particularly hard letter to bring out or emphasize. In the second note I think there has to be a micropause prior to the 'what' to make that sound conversational, see if you concur.

A second longer now at 17:27 (must be that micropause)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_28_syrett_128kb.mp3

Over and out, if all is well.

Thank you,
Brize
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

BrizeCrize wrote: November 21st, 2022, 7:32 am Tweaks enclosed, below. I DID actually form the word 'revelled' with my mouth, but it's turned cold around here lately and I think air restrictions in my head airways made the 'v' sound like a 'b'. Hope it's better now, though 'v' is a particularly hard letter to bring out or emphasize. In the second note I think there has to be a micropause prior to the 'what' to make that sound conversational, see if you concur.

A second longer now at 17:27 (must be that micropause)

Over and out, if all is well.

Thank you,
Brize
All is well indeed! PL OK. Thank you!

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 3 is open due to an expired claim. Any takers?

Sarah
LindsayAnnCameron

Post by LindsayAnnCameron »

Scarbo wrote: October 29th, 2022, 6:16 pm
LindsayAnnCameron wrote: October 29th, 2022, 2:02 pm Seems like a lot of mistakes, so I did a new recording for you.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_02_syrett_128kb.mp3

Please let me know how this one is. I hope it's better. :)

I don't understand you comment: "Good rule of thumb for recording...." - I'd love to understand and learn.
Death in family, will be slow to reply, please be patience. I'm committed to this project.
I'm sorry for your loss. Please take the time you need in replying.

Thank you for chapter 2! Nicely done. I know that recording can be time-consuming, so I appreciate the effort you put into making a new recording. I do have a few PL notes, but the first and last ones can be handled without retakes:

- Could you trim the silence at the beginning to about 0.5-1 seconds?
- At 3:32, "county people who for centuries," you say "country people who for centuries" (p. 20)
- At 4:47, "Immorality joined to quickness of intellect," you say "Immortally joined to quickness of intellect" (p. 21)
- At 6:34, "likely to rise to honor in his profession," you say "likely to rise in honor of his profession" (p. 22)
- At 9:12, "just because of this undiscerned fact," you say "just because of this undiscerning fact" (p. 23)
- The volume is 85.2 dB. Could you amplify it a bit to fall within the target range of 87-92 dB?

By working backwards, I mean that when you're editing a recording with PL notes and adding re-recorded lines, if you start by re-recording the line at 9:12, then at 6:34, etc., it will mean that you'll be able to find the previous notes at the time listed, since they won't have possibly shifted around by a few seconds when the re-takes or other edits are added. (For example, if you were to start by shortening the silence in this recording, then it would throw the 3:32, 4:47, etc. off by 5-6 seconds, whereas working backwards will keep them in the same place.) I hope that's clear, but if not, I'll be happy to clarify and answer any other questions you might have. :)
Thanks kindly for your patience with my time. I appreciate it :)
When I tried to increase the volume on the last recording, but there was a buzzing sound on the track which obviously did not exist when I added in my edits.
I did a new recording for you. It's the last, I can feel it. Please let me know if there are any edits I can make to it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_02_syrett_128_.mp3
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

LindsayAnnCameron wrote: November 27th, 2022, 5:53 pm Thanks kindly for your patience with my time. I appreciate it :)
When I tried to increase the volume on the last recording, but there was a buzzing sound on the track which obviously did not exist when I added in my edits.
I did a new recording for you. It's the last, I can feel it. Please let me know if there are any edits I can make to it.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_02_syrett_128_.mp3
Thank you! I appreciate your going to the effort of re-recording. There are just a few word changes to take care of and then you'll be all set!:

- At 4:48, "Immorality joined to quickness of intellect," you say "Immortally joined to quickness of intellect" (p. 21)
- At 6:36, "likely to rise to honor in his profession," you "likely to rise in honor of his profession" (p. 22)
- At 9:59, "to preserve that dominance and authority," you say "to persevere that dominance and authority" (p. 23)

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Scarbo wrote: November 27th, 2022, 2:23 pm Section 3 is open due to an expired claim. Any takers?
Ooh! Me me me can I?
Say hi on Mastodon!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

NicoleJLeBoeuf wrote: November 27th, 2022, 7:10 pm
Scarbo wrote: November 27th, 2022, 2:23 pm Section 3 is open due to an expired claim. Any takers?
Ooh! Me me me can I?
By all means! Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
NicoleJLeBoeuf

Post by NicoleJLeBoeuf »

Thank you! I should have it up in a few days.
Say hi on Mastodon!
LindsayAnnCameron

Post by LindsayAnnCameron »

Scarbo wrote: November 27th, 2022, 6:47 pm
LindsayAnnCameron wrote: November 27th, 2022, 5:53 pm Thanks kindly for your patience with my time. I appreciate it :)
Thank you! I appreciate your going to the effort of re-recording. There are just a few word changes to take care of and then you'll be all set!:

- At 4:48, "Immorality joined to quickness of intellect," you say "Immortally joined to quickness of intellect" (p. 21)
- At 6:36, "likely to rise to honor in his profession," you "likely to rise in honor of his profession" (p. 22)
- At 9:59, "to preserve that dominance and authority," you say "to persevere that dominance and authority" (p. 23)
Thanks so much for letting me contribute to this project :)
Looking forward to hearing it (completed).

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/rosecottingham_02_syrett_128kb.mp3
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

LindsayAnnCameron wrote: November 29th, 2022, 4:32 pm Thanks so much for letting me contribute to this project :)
Looking forward to hearing it (completed).

PL OK! Thank you! You're in for a treat when it's completed. :)

Sarah