COMPLETE: Scientific American Supplement, No. 446, July 19, 1884 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

For Section 3, we'll need some input from Larry. The last paragraph describes the figure, and we are omitting the letters for smoother listening experience, but in the last phrase, the letter is part of the sentence "and M is the outlet for the tar." How would you suggest this be read, Larry? In the recording, it's currently "and finally is the outlet for the tar." but we're not supposed to add to the text (i.e. the word "finally").

In Section 17, the only change I would suggest is in "Ab x d x C(t-t0)", that "x" be read as "times": A b times d times C, etc.

I had some trouble with the sound. It sounded to me a bit muffled. It could be because the volume was quite soft, within the low end of the acceptable range, or because there was excessive post-possessing, like noise-reduction, or because the microphone has a noise-cancelling effect enabled.
What is your editing process like, in terms of what effects you are using? Do you do any noise-reduction, amplification, etc?
Do you use a noise-cancelling microphone?
If you are recording at a lower volume and then need to amplify, check if you can increase your microphone's input volume so that you record closer to the desired volume.

I'm not suggesting re-recording these, it's just worth looking into for future recordings.

One last note, regarding filenames. They have an extra m - no need to fix that, unless you're reuploading the files, but otherwise I've made a note of it in the Magic Window and it can be fixed during the cataloguing stage.

Thanks!
talkendo

Post by talkendo »

Weird, while this is not the first issue I've had with the sound being...off...it doesn't happen very often at all. My biggest problem is that the audio interface I'm using is definitely noisy and sometimes the clean-up (whether I filter it in-line or clean it in post) muddles the work. Sometimes, my reading volume varies too much and I peak, which causes the amplifier to not do nearly as much work as it could to avoid clipping.

These are so short, it's not too much a bother to re-record them, if necessary, but I'll wait for suggestion on how to end Section 3.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 17th, 2022, 2:30 am
For Section 3, we'll need some input from Larry. The last paragraph describes the figure, and we are omitting the letters for smoother listening experience, but in the last phrase, the letter is part of the sentence "and M is the outlet for the tar." How would you suggest this be read, Larry? In the recording, it's currently "and finally is the outlet for the tar." but we're not supposed to add to the text (i.e. the word "finally").
Well, this does get problematic. If the text is read as written, it is just confusing since the other letters have been omitted. I think there is some flexibility for clarity here where we are giving audio representation of a visual element. Personally, I'm fine with "finally" but I might even suggest "a final pipe" would be even clearer. But, what has been omitted is the attribution, "Journal of Gas Lighting," which should be included.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Rapunzelina wrote: August 17th, 2022, 2:07 am
PL notes for 23: at around 6:59, there appears to be missing another short paragraph belonging to the footnote
"[...]give out at, no great depth.

If deposited by solutions [...]"

Then the silence at the end can be increased to 5 seconds.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_23_various_128kb.mp3

11:18, changes added.

Even when I looked with your guidance it STILL took me a second to find the other part of that footnote!
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

tac107 wrote: August 18th, 2022, 5:15 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_23_various_128kb.mp3

11:18, changes added.

Even when I looked with your guidance it STILL took me a second to find the other part of that footnote!
Thanks!
Marked Ready for Spot PL
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 23 is Spot-PL OK! :thumbs:
GranvillePenn

Post by GranvillePenn »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

GranvillePenn wrote: August 24th, 2022, 4:56 pm Hello,

Here is section 6.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_06_various_128kb.mp3

2:34

- Granville
Thank you!
Ready for PL
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Team! Section 6 is PL OK! All great!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Hi Larry,

sorry for bothering you, but I'd need a slight extension of my claim if you don't mind... Thank you!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Availle wrote: September 5th, 2022, 2:35 am Hi Larry,

sorry for bothering you, but I'd need a slight extension of my claim if you don't mind... Thank you!
Not a problem at all.
Thanks for checking in.
~ Larry
BeauWood

Post by BeauWood »

Here is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_12_various_128kb.mp3

File Size 3.2 MiB

Encoding Type MPEG-1 Layer III (encoded with LAME3.100)
MP3 Format 128 kbps 44,100 Hz Mono
Track Length 3:26.65 (m:ss.ss)

Volume 89.0 dB
DC Bias +0 (+0.0001%)
Clipped Audio 0 ms (0.00%)

Thank you,

Beau Wood
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BeauWood wrote: September 6th, 2022, 5:19 pm Here is:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/sciamsuppl446_12_various_128kb.mp3

File Size 3.2 MiB

Encoding Type MPEG-1 Layer III (encoded with LAME3.100)
MP3 Format 128 kbps 44,100 Hz Mono
Track Length 3:26.65 (m:ss.ss)

Volume 89.0 dB
DC Bias +0 (+0.0001%)
Clipped Audio 0 ms (0.00%)

Thank you,

Now in the MW Ready for PL
Please stand by for your report.
Beau Wood
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Beau! Your recording of section 12 was well done and PL OK!
rberenyi

Post by rberenyi »