[COMPLETE] Representative Men by Ralph Waldo Emerson - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Ach!!! Yes, you're right. He was a rather rough-hewn guy from Corsica.
His personality and good luck allowed him to prosper, eh?
and, as we all know, Power Corrupts.

Flora just reminded me of this: 18 May 1804, Napoleon had declared himself Emperor of France. Beethoven was furious. Flying into a rage, the composer shouted: ‘So he is no more than a common mortal! Now he, too, will tread underfoot all the rights of man [and] indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men [and] become a tyrant!’ Snatching up a pen, Beethoven then strode over to the score and scribbled out the title so violently that he tore through the paper. Thenceforth, the work would be known simply as the Sinfonia Eroica
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

FloraMetrick wrote: July 4th, 2022, 6:20 pm Uploaded Section 10, Shakespeare Part 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_10_emerson_128kb.mp3 23:15

This was a difficult first reading!! Emerson used too many hard words!!!

Flora
We need to have 5 seconds of silence at the end of your file. There are only 4.

For future consideration: in the first half (but not the second) there are occasional, soft "clicks" from what source I can't make out. But they are quite soft, probably able to be heard only when listening thru headphones. My guess is that it's some mannerism or piece of jewelry that occasionally "clinks".

In any case, you've done a fine job of this dense and sometimes opaque Emerson prose.

So, please, add the additional seconds of silence at the end of the file, re-upload and announce here in the forum when it has been done.

Thanks, again.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RitaBoutros wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:36 am Ah….a salon of literary minds. Love it
I used to prefer a saloon.
FloraMetrick

Post by FloraMetrick »

Re-uploaded Section 10 with fixes and removed some of the clicks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_10_emerson_128kb.mp3 23:13 :clap:
Flora Metrick
Music sounds the way feelings feel.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Many thanks, Kevin.
This is PL OK now!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

KevinS wrote: July 5th, 2022, 1:36 pm
RitaBoutros wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 8:36 am Ah….a salon of literary minds. Love it
You say TOMAYTO, I say TOMAHTO. :)
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

FloraMetrick wrote: July 5th, 2022, 1:53 pm Re-uploaded Section 10 with fixes and removed some of the clicks.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_10_emerson_128kb.mp3 23:13 :clap:
Thanks, Flora!
Much improved... and elongated.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

williamjones wrote: July 5th, 2022, 2:48 pm
KevinS wrote: July 5th, 2022, 1:36 pm
You say TOMAYTO, I say TOMAHTO. :)
I say 'gin.'
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Still looking for someone to PL my Plato sections 03 & 04...

I have to admit that these are two of the longer sections and contain no Emersonian, knee-slapping jokes; but, the text contains moments of brilliant insight.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

FloraMetrick wrote: July 5th, 2022, 1:53 pm Re-uploaded Section 10 with fixes and removed some of the clicks.

Flora, many thanks!
This section is now PL OK!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Section 13 - Goethe Part 1

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_13_emerson_128kb.mp3 25:55

Only Section 14 remaining on my plate.
Last edited by williamjones on July 6th, 2022, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

williamjones wrote: June 29th, 2022, 7:17 am
Owlivia wrote: June 28th, 2022, 7:58 pm Section 5 Swedenborg, part 1
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/representativemen_05_emerson_128kb.mp3

35:42.04

Not my finest (half) hour I'm afraid; I sound like someone who's fighting allergies (not surprisingly).

Part 2 will NOT arrive as quickly, as friends are coming to stay which will limit my recording time. It will definitely be delivered much before the 2 month time frame. (I know what an impatient coot you are. :wink: :wink: :lol: )

Owlivia/Deborah
Another proof that each of us is our own harshest critic: your voice is very, very fine, calm and assertive.

Here are some notes/comments but I am marking this excellent effort as PL OK.

29:45 to end: sudden decrease in volume (-1.3,, almost trivial) and texture of your voice.
You want to change? It's up to you. Just do it and upload it if you change it. No need to announce it in the project Forum.

Your consistent announcing of Quotes and End Quotes are not bad. but, they are mostly superfluous insofaras most of the sources of the quotes are not explicitly given.

Your rendition was very pleasant and entertaining. Thanks! :clap:

Dear favorite COOT,
I appreciate the notes/comments, and time permitting will try to address them/ do a mending.

Owlivia/Deborah

P.S. Not all coots are "old coots," because the only way for there to BE old coots is if there are young coots. :wink: :D
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thank you, Owlivia.
I'll update the MW right now and definitely PL this section today this afternoon.
This guy Swedenborg has become more interesting the more I learn about him.

You've handled these two of the longest section very well.

-- the Coot Man
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison