COMPLETE: The Book of Dreams and Ghosts by Andrew Lang -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SurnameMike

Post by SurnameMike »

dg73 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 10:29 am And I have a question already, please pardon me if the answer is already posted. What is the preferred method of dealing with footnotes? Just say the number then add it on to the end of the chapter or say "footnote 272..."here's the footnote text... end footnote", as it's cited in the main text and then continue on?
Thanks.
Hi, dg! There's no need to read the footnotes in the text, though I won't fault you for reading the footnotes' information aloud if you think it adds to the story. If you do choose to add the footnotes in, I would greatly appreciate if you used the second option. Thank you so much for checking in! :)
-SurnameMike
dg73

Post by dg73 »

SurnameMike wrote: May 12th, 2022, 2:04 pm
dg73 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 10:29 am And I have a question already, please pardon me if the answer is already posted. What is the preferred method of dealing with footnotes? Just say the number then add it on to the end of the chapter or say "footnote 272..."here's the footnote text... end footnote", as it's cited in the main text and then continue on?
Thanks.
Hi, dg! There's no need to read the footnotes in the text, though I won't fault you for reading the footnotes' information aloud if you think it adds to the story. If you do choose to add the footnotes in, I would greatly appreciate if you used the second option. Thank you so much for checking in! :)
-SurnameMike
I will keep that in mind. Thanks very much.
Dan Gurzynski
dg73

Post by dg73 »

flavo5000 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:07 am
Thanks.
I think in the section I read, I followed your second format of having the footnote in the body of the text instead of the end.
Thanks for the advice!
Dan Gurzynski
SurnameMike

Post by SurnameMike »

Now that all of the book is assigned, would it be recommended that the project moves over to "Readers Found"? I assume knotyouraveragejo would know about moving projects over if it's necessary.
dg73

Post by dg73 »

Dan Gurzynski
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

SurnameMike wrote: May 14th, 2022, 12:30 am Now that all of the book is assigned, would it be recommended that the project moves over to "Readers Found"? I assume knotyouraveragejo would know about moving projects over if it's necessary.
Yes, Mike, that it the procedure. It's not automatic. Your MC has to do it.
Jo
SurnameMike

Post by SurnameMike »

dg73 wrote: May 14th, 2022, 4:53 pm My contribution, chapter 10;

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/bookofdreamsandghosts_10_lang_128kb.mp3
length 34:32
Thank you so much! I will get around to proof listening it soon.
rads028

Post by rads028 »

SurnameMike wrote: May 12th, 2022, 1:49 pm
rads028 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:25 am May I claim chapter 13? Thanks!
Sure thing! I see this will be one of your first projects. If you have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask. Happy Reading :D
-Surnamemike
I'm going to take you up on your offer! I am new to Audacity as well, so I need some guidance on how to fix the audio. I recorded the chapter in two sittings, so the second half sounds louder than the first half (which is weird because all conditions were the same). Anyway, how do I make it so that it all sounds consistent? Also, I hear a sharp quality to the sound. Anything I can do to soften it? I know I still have to remove some of the breath sounds, but I wanted to get this question going too. Thanks for your help!

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/bookofdreamsandghosts_13_lang_128kb.mp3
SurnameMike

Post by SurnameMike »

rads028 wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:15 am
rads028 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 11:25 am May I claim chapter 13? Thanks!
Sure thing! I see this will be one of your first projects. If you have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask. Happy Reading :D
-Surnamemike
I'm going to take you up on your offer! I am new to Audacity as well, so I need some guidance on how to fix the audio. I recorded the chapter in two sittings, so the second half sounds louder than the first half (which is weird because all conditions were the same). Anyway, how do I make it so that it all sounds consistent? Also, I hear a sharp quality to the sound. Anything I can do to soften it? I know I still have to remove some of the breath sounds, but I wanted to get this question going too. Thanks for your help!

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/bookofdreamsandghosts_13_lang_128kb.mp3
Hi, rads! These are both great questions.
For your issues regarding loudness, there's an ability to amplify tracks and certain parts of a track by highlighting them (clicking and dragging until you've gotten all the parts of the track you want to change), choosing the effect tab on audacity, and clicking on amplification. There should be a window where you can slide the amplification up and down. Positive amplification should make the track louder and negative amplification should make the track quieter. Of course, it's best to simply record under the same conditions every time to minimize the need for this, but it's understandable that things may not always work the same way every time.

As for the "Sharp" quality of your recording, this could be caused by plosives in your recording. These are larger waveforms that are seen as more visibly wavy than regular sounds in audacity. Generally, the best bet to get rid of these is to record a bit farther away from the mic and use a pop filter to prevent your p's, s's, and t's from causing plosives. Fixing it after recording can be a little tricky, but there are a few techniques like using Audacity's equalizer function (this only works if your issue is with your microphone) or getting a De-Esser plugin for audacity. There are a few instructional videos and readings on the LibriVox Wiki on this as well if these don't work. I think they're under the "Improve Your Recording" section of the Wiki. Getting rid of plosives is highly recommended but not required to complete a project, so you should be alright for now.

In any case, thank you so much for checking in, and I hope these solutions prove useful!
-SurnameMike
SomethingClever

Post by SomethingClever »

I'm mostly done with chapter 6 but I have a couple of questions before it's ready for review

For the purposes of the start of the recording would the section title be the chapter number or the names of the stories listed in the notes section?
Towards the end of Wyndhams's letter the letter is signed “Sr. Yor., &c.," and I'm unsure of how to read this

Once these issues are handled the chapter should be ready for review, any help is appreciated
rads028

Post by rads028 »

SurnameMike wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:55 am
rads028 wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:15 am

-Surnamemike

Hi, rads! These are both great questions.
For your issues regarding loudness, there's an ability to amplify tracks and certain parts of a track by highlighting them (clicking and dragging until you've gotten all the parts of the track you want to change), choosing the effect tab on audacity, and clicking on amplification. There should be a window where you can slide the amplification up and down. Positive amplification should make the track louder and negative amplification should make the track quieter. Of course, it's best to simply record under the same conditions every time to minimize the need for this, but it's understandable that things may not always work the same way every time.

As for the "Sharp" quality of your recording, this could be caused by plosives in your recording. These are larger waveforms that are seen as more visibly wavy than regular sounds in audacity. Generally, the best bet to get rid of these is to record a bit farther away from the mic and use a pop filter to prevent your p's, s's, and t's from causing plosives. Fixing it after recording can be a little tricky, but there are a few techniques like using Audacity's equalizer function (this only works if your issue is with your microphone) or getting a De-Esser plugin for audacity. There are a few instructional videos and readings on the LibriVox Wiki on this as well if these don't work. I think they're under the "Improve Your Recording" section of the Wiki. Getting rid of plosives is highly recommended but not required to complete a project, so you should be alright for now.

In any case, thank you so much for checking in, and I hope these solutions prove useful!
-SurnameMike

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I really appreciate it. I will play around with Audacity and try to make my recording better and then upload it again. Thanks!
SurnameMike

Post by SurnameMike »

SomethingClever wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:21 am I'm mostly done with chapter 6 but I have a couple of questions before it's ready for review

For the purposes of the start of the recording would the section title be the chapter number or the names of the stories listed in the notes section?
Towards the end of Wyndhams's letter the letter is signed “Sr. Yor., &c.," and I'm unsure of how to read this

Once these issues are handled the chapter should be ready for review, any help is appreciated
That's a great question! "Sr. Yor. &c.," doesn't seem to be anywhere else in the story, so I may be completely off base here. I think it's read as "sincerely yours, et cetera" since it comes at the end of the story and that was part of the time's slang. Ultimately, I think that your vision of the story matters most when it comes to the reading. I hope this helped!
-SurnameMike
mbm0rxi

Post by mbm0rxi »

SomethingClever

Post by SomethingClever »

SurnameMike

Post by SurnameMike »

Thank you so much! I will get around to proof listening it soon :)
-SurnameMike