[COMPLETE][Detective Stories]The Social Gangster by Arthur B. Reeve - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
elmachina

Post by elmachina »

Hi Sonia,

Section 31 is uploaded here: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_31_reeve_128kb.mp3

Length is 10:17. This is my first recording for librivox other than the test one so happy to hear feedback to help me improve!

Also wanted to mention that there's a racial slur included in this section of the book - having found a few other forum posts it seemed the policy is to read as is to be true to the source text, but wanted to flag just in case.

Thanks,
Eleanor
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

elmachina wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 6:22 amSection 31 is uploaded here: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_31_reeve_128kb.mp3
Length is 10:17. This is my first recording for librivox other than the test one so happy to hear feedback to help me improve!
wohooo, thank you so much, Eleanor, this was a lovely reading. I'm afraid I cannot help improve much because to me it sounded great already. Your reading is fluent, but not too fast to follow along. Good enunciation and most of all emphasis, so the text is lively to listen to, especially in the dialogues. I really enjoyed it.

Textually also flawless, so: congrats to your first official PL ok section. :clap: I'm looking forward to the next two chapters.
Also wanted to mention that there's a racial slur included in this section of the book - having found a few other forum posts it seemed the policy is to read as is to be true to the source text, but wanted to flag just in case.
yes you are right, we read the text as it was written. In such old texts, the language often was rougher than we are used nowadays in our politically correct society. I don't even think that many authors meant any harm by using those words, they were simply the words used back then.

Thank you :) and enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
elmachina

Post by elmachina »

Kitty wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 6:41 am congrats to your first official PL ok section. :clap: I'm looking forward to the next two chapters
Brilliant, thank you! I'm looking forward to reading the rest myself, I've not yet jumped ahead to see how it ends :D
Lisaboyd5

Post by Lisaboyd5 »

Here is the final recording of the Cancer House, Part III. Please let me know if you have any edits. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_30_reeve_128kb.mp3
Roger

Post by Roger »

All right then, section 3 has been uploaded. Photo transmission, and welcome to the world of polygraph, which hasn't really seemed to change much a century later!

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_03_reeve_128kb.mp3

Length: 22:08

Thanks! And let me know of any changes needed. :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

If you have any orphans from this project please feel free to use me. I'm always willing to help finish up a project.

Thanks!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Lisaboyd5 wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 7:15 pmHere is the final recording of the Cancer House, Part III. Please let me know if you have any edits. Thanks!
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_30_reeve_128kb.mp3
excellent, thank you Lisa :clap: Sorry for the late feedback, but I was away on a holiday and only came back yesterday.

Another beautiful reading and a surprise ending ! I shudder to think that such viruses can be inoculated just like that :?

A few small edits needed:

> at 0:22: missing "Part 3" between "The Cancer House" and "The Filtrable Virus"
> at 4:53: between "in your interest" and "I know it" - there is a little hum which can easily get cut
> from 6:19 to 6:21: between "that may fit the facts better" and "Dr Goode thought" - the pause is a bit too long, I would cut down a little bit
> from 7:50 to 7:52: between "and Goode houses" and "I have here" - also here the break is too long for comfort
> at the end: you have 6 seconds of silence instead of the standard 5

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: May 27th, 2022, 9:21 amAll right then, section 3 has been uploaded. Photo transmission, and welcome to the world of polygraph, which hasn't really seemed to change much a century later!

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_03_reeve_128kb.mp3
Length: 22:08

Thanks! And let me know of any changes needed. :D
thank you Roger, another great reading. :9: I found the ending a bit strange...so Gloria was abducted and married off against her will but now seems to like the guy ? :hmm: A bit bizarre if you ask me.

I found only a few small errors to edit:

> at 0:22: missing "section 3" between "by Arthur B. Reeve" and "The Social Gangster"
> at 16:08: (p. 27) "that the telephote has been placed" - you say "telephone", but here they mean the new device to transmit pictures
> at 19:44: (p. 29) when suddenly a little buzzer on the telephote warned the operator" - also here

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: May 27th, 2022, 9:26 amIf you have any orphans from this project please feel free to use me. I'm always willing to help finish up a project.
thank you Greg, I'll keep you in mind. There may be a story coming up for grabs soon. You'll be first in line for it.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: May 27th, 2022, 10:43 am
GregGiordano wrote: May 27th, 2022, 9:26 amIf you have any orphans from this project please feel free to use me. I'm always willing to help finish up a project.
thank you Greg, I'll keep you in mind. There may be a story coming up for grabs soon. You'll be first in line for it.

Sonia
Many thanks and expressions of gratitude! 😀

Take care,

Greg
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks for pointing out my errors. I'm not accustomed to the use of the word 'telephote', I guess. :lol:

Section 3 has been patched and re-uploaded.

I believe the length is about 22:10 now. Although 'telephote' isn't much longer a word than 'telephone'

Thanks again!
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote: May 27th, 2022, 12:09 pmI'm not accustomed to the use of the word 'telephote', I guess. :lol:
:mrgreen: today we say fax-machine

thank you, Roger, perfect edits and now PL ok. Another great story in the box. :9:

Sonia
heizhima

Post by heizhima »

Kitty wrote: April 9th, 2022, 1:04 am
heizhima wrote: April 8th, 2022, 6:25 pmI've just uploaded my 1-minute test and would love to be a part of this project.
Are The Sleepmaker sections still available?
Hello Loretta and welcome to the forum and specifically this project. Happy to have you choose one of the stories for your debut on LV. 8-)

I just checked on your test and apart from the volume issue, all is fine, please see my feedback here: viewtopic.php?p=2036182#p2036182 and post the edited test in that thread over there.

I will certainly reserve you the Sleepmaker stories for the time being while you sort out the volume issue. I would need to open a reader page for you as well, so if you want anything else than your forum name as reader name (for example your real name), please let me know.

See you soon

Sonia
Hello Sonia,

I recorded in the wrong order! Anyway, here is section 17. The rest to come this week.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/socialgangster_17_reeve_128kb.mp3

Best,
Loretta
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

heizhima wrote: May 29th, 2022, 12:26 pmI recorded in the wrong order! Anyway, here is section 17. The rest to come this week.
:lol: ok the order doesn't matter to me. Funny to hear the middle part first.

The horse race was quite eventful and your narration lovely and easy to follow. :thumbs: I really enjoyed it and looking forward to parts 1 and 3 of the story.

There are a few cuts I would suggest making however. Basically they are all the same PL notes, concerning the lengthy silence between sentences. Anything over 2 seconds really feels too long for a listener. I personally tend to get "thrown out" of the story plot when the silence is dragging on for too long. I marked the overlong silences here below, if you could cut there a bit that would make it more fluent. Usually 1 to 1.5 seconds is fully enough, even between paragraphs.

A good suggestion is to start at the last note and work your way up, that way the time stamps all stay the same even with the big cuts. ;)

> from 0:00 to 0:03: at the beginning of the recording we recommend between 0.5 and 1 second of silence maximum
> at 0:30: "the inter-urban handicap" – you can cut the second title, it's enough to say it once in the intro
> from 1:41 to 1:43: (p. 154) between "quiz the waiter" and "this time"
> from 2:03 to 2:05: (p. 154) between "the same face" and "as I studied"
> from 2:21 to 2:23: (p. 155) between "gone to drugs" and "her mirror"
> from 2:45 to 2:47: (p. 155) between "had vanished" and "Murchie had been divorced"
> from 3:10 to 3:12: (p. 155) between "driven her frantic" and "curiously enough"
> from 3:34 to 3:36: (p. 155) between "seen before" and "I was getting"
> from 4:04 to 4:06: (p. 156) between "with it" and "the waiters"
> from 5:15 to 5:17: (p. 156) between "really using" and "late as it was"
> from 5:46 to 5:48: (p. 157) between "in bed at all" and "it was"
> from 7:58 to 8:00: (p. 158) between "and how" and "Kennedy paused"
> from 9:43 to 9:45: (p. 159) between "greatly worried" and "I don't understand"
> from 12:01 to 12:04: (p. 160) between "the men" and "every eye"
> from 12:45 to 12:47: (p. 161) between "Lady Lee" and "like all thoroughbreds"
> from 14:16 to 14:18: (p. 161) between "pull up" and "around they went"
> from 15:14 to 15:16: (p. 162) between "on they came" and "I could not"
> from 16:42 to 16:44: (p. 163) between "was living" and "that night"
> from 17:23 to 17:27: (p. 163) between "murdered" and "end of section 17"
> at 17:26: "end of recording" – this can get cut, it's not part of the outro
> at the end: we need a standard of 5 seconds of silence, you have 8 here, could you cut 3 please ?

Just reupload with the exact same filename and the old file will get replaced with the new one. Oh and please always include the length of the file in your post, so I can update the MW accordingly.

Thanks

Sonia
heizhima

Post by heizhima »

Thanks so much for the feedback! This is my first long read and I am amazed at how others are able to get through without taking such long breaks between paragraphs! I tried to move away from the mic to inhale whenever possible , and can see how that may add seconds each time.

I have never edited on Audacity before (the only function, besides record/stop, is the Effect > Amplify we've been told in instructions. Hope it's alright if it takes me about a week to get back to you, as I am sure that I may get similar feedback with the other reads and will try to do them all at once.

Will you please explain what you mean by "start at the last note {. . .] work your way up"? Am I re-recording or cutting?

Kitty wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:04 am
heizhima wrote: May 29th, 2022, 12:26 pmI recorded in the wrong order! Anyway, here is section 17. The rest to come this week.
:lol: ok the order doesn't matter to me. Funny to hear the middle part first.

The horse race was quite eventful and your narration lovely and easy to follow. :thumbs: I really enjoyed it and looking forward to parts 1 and 3 of the story.

There are a few cuts I would suggest making however. Basically they are all the same PL notes, concerning the lengthy silence between sentences. Anything over 2 seconds really feels too long for a listener. I personally tend to get "thrown out" of the story plot when the silence is dragging on for too long. I marked the overlong silences here below, if you could cut there a bit that would make it more fluent. Usually 1 to 1.5 seconds is fully enough, even between paragraphs.

A good suggestion is to start at the last note and work your way up, that way the time stamps all stay the same even with the big cuts. ;)

[. . .]

Just reupload with the exact same filename and the old file will get replaced with the new one. Oh and please always include the length of the file in your post, so I can update the MW accordingly.

Thanks

Sonia