COMPLETE: Little Masterpieces of Science - The Skies and the Earth by Various Authors - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
cnilsen

Post by cnilsen »

Rookie question: How do we handle references to Figures, and titles of Images in this text?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Don't read the titles of images or any footnotes. We don't usually read captions to figures unless if adds important information. With regard to references to figures in the text, you can use your own judgement, but I typically leave these out.
Jo
cnilsen

Post by cnilsen »

Great, thanks!
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

TrinityTestSite wrote: May 16th, 2022, 11:47 am Section 3 Ready.

Length 46:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/skiesandearth_03_iles_128kb.mp3
Just one note.

0:24: You probably should include 'by Richard A. Proctor' here.

Always interesting seeing what scientists thought about how the sun produces its energy before nuclear fusion was a theory. As it says on Wikipedia:
In the early years of the modern scientific era, the source of the Sun's energy was a significant puzzle. Lord Kelvin suggested that the Sun is a gradually cooling liquid body that is radiating an internal store of heat. Kelvin and Hermann von Helmholtz then proposed a gravitational contraction mechanism to explain the energy output, but the resulting age estimate was only 20 million years, well short of the time span of at least 300 million years suggested by some geological discoveries of that time. In 1890 Joseph Lockyer, who discovered helium in the solar spectrum, proposed a meteoritic hypothesis for the formation and evolution of the Sun.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sorry for the delay; here comes section 8, at 23:02:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/skiesandearth_08_iles_128kb.mp3
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks! MW updated ready for PL.
Jo
TrinityTestSite

Post by TrinityTestSite »

JorWat wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:06 pm 0:24: You probably should include 'by Richard A. Proctor' here.
Section 3 is ready with fixes.

Length 46:26

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/skiesandearth_03_iles_128kb.mp3
JorWat wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:06 pm Always interesting seeing what scientists thought about how the sun produces its energy before nuclear fusion was a theory. As it says on Wikipedia:
In the early years of the modern scientific era, the source of the Sun's energy was a significant puzzle. Lord Kelvin suggested that the Sun is a gradually cooling liquid body that is radiating an internal store of heat. Kelvin and Hermann von Helmholtz then proposed a gravitational contraction mechanism to explain the energy output, but the resulting age estimate was only 20 million years, well short of the time span of at least 300 million years suggested by some geological discoveries of that time. In 1890 Joseph Lockyer, who discovered helium in the solar spectrum, proposed a meteoritic hypothesis for the formation and evolution of the Sun.
I agree, and also other ideas like luminiferous aether to explain how radios and "wireless telegraphs" worked. I often wonder what ideas we have now that will be obsolete in a century.
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Availle wrote: May 19th, 2022, 4:09 am Sorry for the delay; here comes section 8, at 23:02:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/skiesandearth_08_iles_128kb.mp3
Just one note:

0:35-1:10: As it says in the first post, "Please do not read the bios at the start of the chapters".
Jordan

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, I'm sorry, I missed that, red and all...

Fixed and reuploaded. New time: 22:25.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for the quick fix. MW updated.
Jo
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Availle wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:55 pm Oh, I'm sorry, I missed that, red and all...

Fixed and reuploaded. New time: 22:25.
PL OK
Jordan

cnilsen

Post by cnilsen »

Section 6 is done:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/skiesandearth__06_iles_128kb.mp3

Please note: I accidentally uploaded the wrong version of this file about an hour prior to this final version. Looks like an admin needs to delete that original upload from the server?
Thank you. Please let me know if there are any edits or other feedback I can address.

Christina
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks for your file and for letting me know about the double upload, Christina. Normally the old file would be renamed so the most recent file always keeps the correct link. In this case, you have an extra underscore in the name of your second version, so that didn't happen as it should. I'll fix the filename on the uploader now and add the correct link to the MW so there is no confusion later on.

Please also remember to post the time of the file in mm:ss whenever you upload a section.
Jo
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

cnilsen wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 10:30 am Section 6 is done:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/skiesandearth__06_iles_128kb.mp3

Please note: I accidentally uploaded the wrong version of this file about an hour prior to this final version. Looks like an admin needs to delete that original upload from the server?
Thank you. Please let me know if there are any edits or other feedback I can address.

Christina
You had this saved as a stereo file with the audio panned almost entirely to the left. Though as that is basically all that needs changing, it's easier if I just edit it down to mono myself. So this is PL OK now.
Jordan

cnilsen

Post by cnilsen »

Sorry about the mono/stereo miss. Thank you!