[COMPLETE] Billy Whiskers' Adventures, by Frances Trego Montgomery - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dalpert wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:48 am Hi Larry - just standing by, I totally understand if you wish to offer the chapter to someone else as I'm guessing the changes to my reading necessary are significant and listening to others' readings, they are far more adept at this - the technology is a bit intimidating. I'll keep working at figuring it out though. Thx, David
Hi, David!

I appreciate what you have done in reading this chapter, and you got a very good report from our proof listener. The only thing you really need to do is record the introduction:

" Chapter 8 of Billy Whiskers' Adventures. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Billy Whiskers' Adventures, by Frances Trego Montgomery. -- Stubby Tells What Happened to Him."

You can just put this at the beginning of the file, and upload it under the same name, or even submit it as a separate file and I can edit it.

If you can adjust the silences at the beginning and end, that would be fine, but is also something I can easily do. I really want to keep your recording for this book!!

Give it a shot, OK?
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
dalpert

Post by dalpert »

oh my - thank you - I will definitely give it a try, I'm most appreciative. I wish I were more facile with the technical aspects as I know how important these elements are. I'll keep working at it. I'll also insert - or individually record - the introduction and try and adjust the start and ending times.

Grateful thanks, David
dalpert

Post by dalpert »

Hi Larry - thank you again for your offer to help me insert the proper introduction for this reading. I've been searching Audacity and the Newbie Q&A materials and I'm having trouble finding the directions for editing-in or moving prerecorded content forward and then inserting the new content (in this case the proper introductory language) so they mesh and the sound of the edit is clean. I'm not really looking to cut and paste (toolbar "Edit" tab), because I don't want to cut what I have, I just want to edit-in new material at the front of the already existing recording - sorry if this is confusing.

I found the information below - specifically this paragraph seems to be what I want???:

Merging Tracks
...Next, you may want to get the tracks approximately synchronized. You can move a whole track forward and backward in time by clicking on the double-headed arrow at the top left of the Audacity control panel (the time shift tool) and dragging the track left or right.

However, I don't see a "double-headed arrow at the top left..." and hoped you might be able to guide me to either finding the "double-headed arrow" if this is indeed what I want, or to direct me to the location where I will find the directions for this procedure.

I am sorry to cause such problems, this is a wonderful experience (minus the technical challenges) and it will be great to move along and no longer be a very green newbie.

I also watched the videos, but may have missed the one that explains these steps, if that's the case, feel free to direct me to the right resource.

With appreciation, David

The text below is lifted from the Librivox Editing Audio section

Merging Tracks - To overlay multiple tracks to create a single, mono Audacity recording.

Let's say you want a number of different speakers talking or singing at the same time, or you want to add some background music or other sound to a voice track.

If it's only a small section of your "parent" recording that's going to be affected, it's probably less troublesome to copy the affected section of the parent, open a new file in Audacity, and paste your copy into it (leaving the parent file open in the background, with the affected section still highlit). Then you can tinker with your copy of this section as you like, then copy and paste it back into the parent file, replacing the highlit section.

Otherwise, you can play with the parent file itself, but do save it first, before you start mucking about with it!

Put the cursor at the front of the sample you've extracted, or (if you're recording directly into your parent file) near the point where you're going to merge your new tracks into the parent.

Click the Record button and record the sound that you're going to merge. Audacity will automatically open a new track for this recording (which you can see by scrolling down). Stop recording in the usual way.

Repeat this process to create more overlap tracks at this location.

Next, you may want to get the tracks approximately synchronized. You can move a whole track forward and backward in time by clicking on the double-headed arrow at the top left of the Audacity control panel (the time shift tool) and dragging the track left or right.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Chapter 10 has more trouble for Billy. He's lucky to have come out of this one alive.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billywhiskersadventures_10_montgomery_128kb.mp3
20:05

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dalpert wrote: January 18th, 2022, 1:08 pm Hi Larry - thank you again for your offer to help me insert the proper introduction for this reading.
Well, let's make this simple:

It is really just recording the intro and pasting it into the file. Here is how I do it.

1) Open your file into Audacity
2) Go to to the File tab in the upper left and select New File.
3) This opens a new instance of Audacity and simply record the introduction and edit it for background noise and volume.
4) Highlight the recording and select Copy
5) Click back to the original file, place your cursor at the beginning and select Paste
6) Do a final edit so there is 0.5 - 1:0 seconds of silence at the beginning and a natural space, usually about one second, between the intro and the beginning of the reading. Tweak the volume if needed so that it matches as closely as you can the volume of the recording. Keep in mind that it is nearly impossible for the audio to match exactly in tone but that's okay.
7) Save the file under the same file name, upload and post the link in the forum with the new file length.

I use this same method when editing my files for submission, if I find I need to record something, or if I need to do it after I submit something. Editing is definitely something that takes some time and experimentation to get better at, and we are all still learning and getting tips from each other. There are a variety of other techniques, and you will find the ones that work best for you. I will typically start with a raw recording of, say, 20 minutes, and have a final of 15-17 min depending on how many mistakes, repeats, pauses, sips of water, etc. that I have. I might stumble over a phrase three time before I get it right - or more!

These things do get easier as you go along and you will just relax and enjoy the process. It is worth it, and I know you will get a lot of enjoyment out of what you do here on LibriVox.

Let me know if you still have questions.
~ Larry
lomond

Post by lomond »

mleigh wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:28 am Chapter 10 has more trouble for Billy. He's lucky to have come out of this one alive.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billywhiskersadventures_10_montgomery_128kb.mp3

Thanks,

M
Greetings -

For me, this had to be the funniest chapter of the book. Well read, mleigh. Definitely PL OK.

Lomond
LakshmiSudha

Post by LakshmiSudha »

Hai

Here is chapter 7 recording
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billywhiskersadventures_07_montgomery_128kb.mp3 [11:15]

Regards
Lakshmi
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

lomond wrote: January 21st, 2022, 1:24 am
mleigh wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:28 am Chapter 10 has more trouble for Billy. He's lucky to have come out of this one alive.

Thanks,

M
Greetings -

For me, this had to be the funniest chapter of the book. Well read, mleigh. Definitely PL OK.

Lomond
I must confess I had to reread parts of it because I was laughing like the description of the ball of string rolling around.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LakshmiSudha wrote: January 21st, 2022, 4:41 am Hai

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billywhiskersadventures_07_montgomery_128kb.mp3 [11:15]

Regards
Lakshmi
Thank you!
This will complete this book, pending PL so stay tuned for your report from lomond.
~ Larry
dalpert

Post by dalpert »

Hi Larry, your wonderfully detailed explanation was SO helpful - hopefully the attached is now acceptable - eventually I'll get there, it is indeed a fun thing to do - and I am most appreciative of your patience, support and assistance. Here we go -

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billywhiskersadventures_8_montgomery_128kb.mp3 [15:51]

Cordial regards, David
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

dalpert wrote: January 21st, 2022, 2:04 pm Hi Larry, your wonderfully detailed explanation was SO helpful - hopefully the attached is now acceptable - eventually I'll get there, it is indeed a fun thing to do - and I am most appreciative of your patience, support and assistance. Here we go -

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/billywhiskersadventures_8_montgomery_128kb.mp3 [15:51]

Cordial regards, David
Sounds good, but I'll let lomond do the official Spot PL
I appreciate your persistence and good graces and your good reading for this chapter.

I hope we will hear a lot more of your voice here on LibriVox. :D

Pending PL, we will be able to give the listening public one more Billy Whiskers book to enjoy. :clap:
~ Larry
alexschletter

Post by alexschletter »

Hello, I prooflistened to sections 7 and 8 and everything sounded fine.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lomond,
Please ignore the above and do your regular Spot PL and PL for these sections, if you would please.
~ Larry
lomond

Post by lomond »

silverquill wrote: January 21st, 2022, 9:49 am
LakshmiSudha wrote: January 21st, 2022, 4:41 am Hai

Regards
Lakshmi
Thank you!
This will complete this book, pending PL so stay tuned for your report from lomond.
Greetings -

LakshmiSudha, thanks for a good reading of Chapter 7. We hope to hear more from you in the near future. PL OK.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

silverquill wrote: January 21st, 2022, 2:09 pm
dalpert wrote: January 21st, 2022, 2:04 pm Hi Larry, your wonderfully detailed explanation was SO helpful - hopefully the attached is now acceptable - eventually I'll get there, it is indeed a fun thing to do - and I am most appreciative of your patience, support and assistance. Here we go -

Cordial regards, David
Sounds good, but I'll let lomond do the official Spot PL
I appreciate your persistence and good graces and your good reading for this chapter.

I hope we will hear a lot more of your voice here on LibriVox. :D

Pending PL, we will be able to give the listening public one more Billy Whiskers book to enjoy. :clap:
Greetings -

dalbert, welcome to the world of PL OK recordings. Now that you have amassed all this LV knowledge, you have no excuse for not reading more for us in the very near future.

Once more, Billy Whiskers, Button, and Stubby have escaped from all of their adventures. This book is ready for final processing. Will it be the last Billy Whiskers book we will see? Time will tell.

Lomond