[COMPLETE] World's Story 2: India, Persia, Mesopotamia, Palestine - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
yaelh

Post by yaelh »

Hi Sonia,

Thank you so much for the feedback! I liked the idea of being a tourist guide :D
I think I've recorded the previous recording in the same room, but I don't remember... We do have an echo in our house, and I can't think how I can change that.. :?

Here is the new recording after the edits you recommended:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_080_tappan_128kb.mp3 2.63 KB
Duration: 2:48

Thanks,
Yael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yaelh wrote: May 12th, 2018, 1:18 pm I think I've recorded the previous recording in the same room, but I don't remember... We do have an echo in our house, and I can't think how I can change that.. :?
sometimes it helps to put towels around the base of the microphone, but I'm not sure, I never tried that. Or maybe some padding, drawing the curtains or choosing a room with a carpet.

But as I said, everything is well understandable, so the sound is not that disturbing.

thank you for the new reupload. It's PL ok now. :thumbs:

Looking forward to the next section. :) Have a nice weekend still !

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: May 10th, 2018, 11:47 pm
benderca wrote: May 9th, 2018, 2:26 pm For your listening pleasure:
Section 92 Mesopotamia Part II: Babylon the magnificent: historical note
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_092_tappan_128kb.mp3
it was a pleasure indeed :9: I love your narrative style. I think so far I only heard you in stage plays. Well, this one was extremely well read and no errors at all. Also I don't hear any disturbing plosives, so there's no need to correct anything whatsoever. This is PL ok.
Thanks, Sonia! I usually take some time to smooth out plosives, but if you don't find them disturbing...
Kitty wrote: May 10th, 2018, 11:47 pm And this means, you get the special distinction for having completed the 100th section in this project :D
Yooooo Hoooo! Are we going to have a party or what?
Kitty wrote: May 10th, 2018, 11:47 pm
Don't mind if I do take you up on your offer: I will be needing an extension on my last section.
all right, I'll change the deadline on your section. Would one more month be enough ? 12th June then :)

thanks

Sonia
Sound great! Thanks!
krazystew

Post by krazystew »

Kitty wrote: May 4th, 2018, 3:57 am
krazystew wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 10:22 pmOne more complete...
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_021_tappan_128kb.mp3 15:10
thank you, Kevin, what a cool story. I extremely enjoyed the answers of the gymnosophists in the final part of this chapter. 8-) I have never heard about them up to now, so that's one new thing learnt.

Textually, all is perfect, but there is a small technical issue regarding the footnotes, which I would like to have read standardized like I pointed out under Point 2 here: viewtopic.php?p=1445329#p1445329

it's a very easy correction though:

> at 2:54: could you please say it the following way: “Footnote – Two and a half miles – End of Footnote”. Maybe you could say it after “before his foot”, to give the sentence a bit more coherence

> at 4:16: same here, please say: “Footnote – About six feet, eight inches – End of Footnote

thank you :9: and I hope you have fun with the next section as well

Sonia
Corrected:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_021_tappan_128kb.mp3 15:13

and 2 more...

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_032_tappan_128kb.mp3 9:09
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_035_tappan_128k.mp3 9:21
Kevin
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for these, Kevin. All three sections PL ok now. :clap: I must admit, the Black Hole of Calcutta was very shocking for me. The thought of these people stampeding each other in such a close confinement is horrible. :? I was relieved when that chapter was over. I think that was the hardest section I ever read in this series so far.

Good job on the narrative though. Thank you so much :9:

Small note: the filename for section 35 is missing a 'b' at the end "128k" instead of "128kb". But no need to reupload. Since there were no other errors, I will change the name in my file.

Sonia
ChrisFields

Post by ChrisFields »

Hello, here is the updated section 65. The length is 1:39
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_065_tappan_128kb.mp3

I think i fixed the problems correctly, let me know if its needs more. Thanks for the nice comments about my voice/reading!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChrisFields wrote: May 17th, 2018, 3:17 pm Hello, here is the updated section 65. The length is 1:39
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume02_065_tappan_128kb.mp3
I think i fixed the problems correctly, let me know if its needs more. Thanks for the nice comments about my voice/reading!
:shock: wow what a flawless correction, especially at "perfidy". I wouldn't hear a difference in sound from the old recording. Fantastic job. Just to make sure, you only spot-corrected, you did not re-record the whole section from scratch ? Just so I know, because in that case I would have to listen to the whole section once more.

Well, this is PL ok otherwise. Thanks ! And I hopefully see you in the next book :9:

Sonia
ChrisFields

Post by ChrisFields »

Thanks! :D

Yes it was only a spot-correction, except I rerecorded "perfidy and cruelty" because I couldn't get it to sound good changing the one word. Thanks for saying such nice things! I'm very susceptible to flattery, and you've ensured I'll continue reading here.

I think next time I'll tackle a section with two pages! Muh ha ha ha! :thumbs:

Chris Fields
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChrisFields wrote: May 18th, 2018, 2:30 pmYes it was only a spot-correction, except I rerecorded "perfidy and cruelty" because I couldn't get it to sound good changing the one word.
yes that's ok, I always listen to the whole sentence when I spot PL. I think most people re-record one entire sentence or part of a sentence, because patching in just one single word is often tedious to impossible
Thanks for saying such nice things! I'm very susceptible to flattery, and you've ensured I'll continue reading here.
I think next time I'll tackle a section with two pages! Muh ha ha ha! :thumbs:
:lol: great, I just looked at the table of content for next project, and it looks like you can choose from 10 sections that are 2 pages long ;) so there's choice.

See you then.

Oh and that gives me opportunity to make an announcement:

This project only has 9 more sections to come in, so I am prepping the next volume these days. I'll be opening it after my Pentecost holidays, so probably on Monday 28th of May. The topics will include Africa (all of it, with emphasis on Egypt, but Central and South African countries are also represented) and the Arabian world.

Stay tuned

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: May 19th, 2018, 12:38 am Oh and that gives me opportunity to make an announcement:
May I preclaim a section? You'll find a nice one, I am sure 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: May 19th, 2018, 12:57 am May I preclaim a section? You'll find a nice one, I am sure 8-)
:lol: I've never encountered such eagerness before. You mean, you want me to choose you a section ? Ok, I'll keep it in mind, just give me two clues as to preference:

1) maximum page length
2) what area: Egypt, Rest of Africa or Arabia

Sonia
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Kitty wrote: May 19th, 2018, 1:01 am just give me two clues as to preference:
1) not longer as the ones I read (think it was about 8 or 9 pages)
2) Egypt, Arabia, Rest of Africa (in this order) :lol:

Thank you :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

moniaqua wrote: May 19th, 2018, 2:30 am 1) not longer as the ones I read (think it was about 8 or 9 pages)
2) Egypt, Arabia, Rest of Africa (in this order) :lol:
noted down, you'll get a story about Egypt, not longer than 8 pages :)

Sonia
Farnood

Post by Farnood »

Farnood

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation" (Thoreau)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Farnood wrote: May 24th, 2018, 2:57 am Sections 66 (25:25), 69 (11:15), 75 (19:05), 76 (15:32), and 101 (18:46) are ready for PL. Let me know if there are any problems.
hi and thanks for all these !!!! Sorry for replying so late but I was on holidays for a few days and totally offline. I'll try to PL those sections as soon as possible, but for now I'll put them in the MW.

Will be back with feedback tomorrow or Monday at the latest.

Sonia