COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 031 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Kitty wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 3:21 am
ok sorry for the delay, I finally had time to PL this poem. Wow, the script is very hard to decipher. :shock: I learnt Irish with "normal" Roman alphabet. :lol: I think I managed to follow along though and it seems like you did not forget anything major.

> I see you chose to omit "man" and the "woman" at the beginning of each stanza, was there a reason for that ? Usually we read everything the way it is written, and don't edit the author's words. There was probably a reason why he wanted to have those things said by the woman or the man. ;) Could you please reintroduce those words at the beginning of the correct stanzas ?

Some small technical adjustments that you can do while you're at it:

> the volume is too loud. We accept between 86 and 92 dB, yours is over 94 dB. Please decrease overall volume by -4 db to get close to the perfect average of 89

> at the beginning: two seconds silence is too long for a recording to start. We recommend between 0.5 and 1 second maximum

> at the end: 15 seconds of silence are again too long. We have a standard of 5 seconds of silence at the end of a recording (you can see those details in the very first post of each project)

Other than that, sounds like a good reading, and you did not read too fast. :) thanks

Sonia
Now you'll see why I proposed the other project - it's one of the VERY few books of the period published in the Roman font. Almost all material in Irish was published in Gaelic fonts until the 1950s. I, having been born well after that, am most comfortable with Irish in the Roman font. Reading older stuff like this is for me how reading fraktur of the eighteenth century must be for Germans. They can do it, but slowly, and with no great pleasure!
Amhrán an Tae is usually performed without the "fear" and "bean" tags, but I can certainly add them.
I'll get on to the other changes immediately.
Brianeanna
Last edited by brianeanna on January 5th, 2022, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianeanna

Post by brianeanna »

Edited version here. Thanks for the feedback, Sonia.
Brianeanna

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw031_amranantae_debhailis_bob_128kb.mp3
Duration: (4:08)
Author: Colm de Bhailís
Title: Amhrán an Tae
Language: Irish
Text: https://archive.org/details/arinuilmdeails00debh/page/4/mode/2up
Keywords: Colm de Bhailís, Amhrán an Tae, Conamara, Marriage, Tea, Tobacco, Galway
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

brianeanna wrote: January 5th, 2022, 1:14 pmReading older stuff like this is for me how reading fraktur of the eighteenth century must be for Germans. They can do it, but slowly, and with no great pleasure!
I noticed that LV is very good practice for this. When I started, I was also daunted by the Fraktur of German texts, but now I can read it quite fluently (and yes, even with pleasure).
Amhrán an Tae is usually performed without the "fear" and "bean" tags, but I can certainly add them.
ah this was recorded already with a man and woman reading their parts ? I didn't know it was that famous. Cool.

I checked your corrections and now you're PL ok. :thumbs: Congrats to the first official section. A nice addition to our collection. Thank you

Sonia
vviera

Post by vviera »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw031_hombresnecios_delacruz_vv_128kb.mp3
03:07
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
Redondilla I : A los hombres
Spanish
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Obras_selectas_de_la_celebre_monja_de_Me/bMcGAQAAIAAJ?hl=en
Keywords: Poesía colonial Poesía del siglo XVII
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

vviera wrote: January 8th, 2022, 3:28 pm Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
Thank you!

Sonia, let me know if you have trouble accessing the scan.

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kazbek wrote: January 8th, 2022, 4:14 pm Sonia, let me know if you have trouble accessing the scan.
it opens fine for me :) will PL tomorrow

Sonia
SachaKard

Post by SachaKard »

hi everyone :)

Here is Les fraises de décembre, a japanese tale in french from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23954

From Claudius Ferrand, 1868-1930. I'm not sure of the date of publication but it is stated that it falls in the US public domain, as well as in the european public domain according to when the author passed away :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw_031_fraisesdecembre_ferrand_aik_128kb.mp3
9:36
Claudius Ferrand
Les fraises de décembre
French
A fairytale about a young girl and her awful mother-in-law and step-sister, à la Vassilissa or Cinderella
Bright the hawk’s flight
on the empty sky.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Kitty wrote: January 9th, 2022, 5:32 am it opens fine for me :) will PL tomorrow
Sonia
Kitty, for your ease I should have said it's on page 110 of the book, pdf page 210 (if 8.5x11)

I also realized I didn't give dates, but she's already in the authors index. 1648 (or '51? scholars unsure)-1695. The index says 1651, I think that's fine.
Cheers, VERLA

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SachaKard wrote: January 9th, 2022, 9:18 am Here is Les fraises de décembre, a japanese tale in french from https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23954
Thank you!

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

vviera wrote: January 8th, 2022, 3:28 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw031_hombresnecios_delacruz_vv_128kb.mp3
Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz
thank you, this sounded lovely and you are speaking very clear so it was easy to follow :thumbs:

the poem is textually correct, only a small correction in the intro needed:

> for the LV intro disclaimer, you don't need to include the whole title of the book you are reading from, but we need the language for this project. Only "[Title] by [author], read in [language] for LibriVox.org (you can read an example in the first post): so: "Redondilla I : A los hombres de Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, leido en español por Librivox.org" (if this is correct Spanish) is sufficient. You can cut the rest. Also, usually we put "this LV recording is in the public domain" at the end of the file, but you can leave it at this spot if you wish.

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SachaKard wrote: January 9th, 2022, 9:18 amhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw_031_fraisesdecembre_ferrand_aik_128kb.mp3
Claudius Ferrand
Les fraises de décembre
French
ah te revoilà de retour Sacha avec un ravissant conte de fée. 8-) En fait je connais cette histoire, mais pas encore en version française. Parfaitement lu, et PL ok.

Juste une petite note concernant le nom de fichier, il ne doit pas y avoir de _ entre msw et 031. Mais puisque il n'y a aucune autre faute, on va le changer dans nos fichiers, pas besoin de re-télécharger cette fois-ci.

Merci

Sonia
SachaKard

Post by SachaKard »

Bonjour Sonia,

Je ferai plus attention au nom pour éviter les coquilles, merci d'avoir pris le temps de PL mon fichier :)
Bright the hawk’s flight
on the empty sky.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Kitty wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:33 am correction in the intro needed:
Sonia
Sorry about that, Sonia. Reuploaded, 3:08 duration.

The different format I used wasn't random. When I got to this point in the forum instructions: "(Can be in the language of the recorded text. Translations into many languages are available here.)"...I clicked through to the wiki and used the Spanish instructions. Maybe we could put a clarifying sentence in this forum so it says.

"(Can be in the language of the recorded text. Translations into many languages are available here, but please follow the format below, which is slightly different.)"

Thanks as always for your PL work,
Verla
Cheers, VERLA

Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

vviera wrote: January 10th, 2022, 1:14 pm The different format I used wasn't random. When I got to this point in the forum instructions: "(Can be in the language of the recorded text. Translations into many languages are available here.)"...I clicked through to the wiki and used the Spanish instructions. Maybe we could put a clarifying sentence in this forum so it says.
You're right, Verla. Our formulation was confusing. I've now hopefully removed the implication that the wiki page has the exact intro/outro format for this project.

Thanks!
Michael
vviera

Post by vviera »

Kazbek wrote: January 10th, 2022, 7:03 pm You're right, Verla. Our formulation was confusing. I've now hopefully removed the implication that the wiki page has the exact intro/outro format for this project.

Thanks!
Michael
You're welcome. I think it still needs clarification. Someone might just click through at that point if you don't say "use the format below."
Cheers, VERLA