COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 031 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eam2468

Post by eam2468 »

Hello Sonia and thanks for the feedback!

I've made the adjustments you requested and uploaded the new audio file :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

eam2468 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 8:19 amI've made the adjustments you requested and uploaded the new audio file :)
thank you, perfectly patched and now PL ok. :birthday: for your first official LV contribution. Many more to come hopefully.

Sonia
eam2468

Post by eam2468 »

Here's a second contribution in Swedish, a short poem this time:

MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw031_parakstugan_baath_eam_128kb.mp3
Duration: 01:41
Author: Albert Ulrik Bååth
Title: På rakstugan
Language: Swedish
Text: https://books.google.se/books?id=7UEMNUe7nugC&dq=vid%20allfarv%C3%A4g&hl=sv&pg=PA98#v=onepage&q&f=false (page 98)
Keywords: barbershop, gossip, scandal, suicide, morality, hypocrisy, judgmentalism, fear of death.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

eam2468 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:19 am Here's a second contribution in Swedish, a short poem this time:
Thanks for the contribution! Queued for PL.

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

eam2468 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 8:19 amHere's a second contribution in Swedish, a short poem this time:
MP3: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw031_parakstugan_baath_eam_128kb.mp3
Duration: 01:41
excellently narrated and straight PL ok :clap: I liked the rolling rythm that you put into your reading. :thumbs:

What does rakstugan mean ? I couldn't find it in wiktionary. :hmm:

Thank you again

Sonia
eam2468

Post by eam2468 »

Thanks! :)

Rakstuga is an old-fashioned word for barbershop. It's a compound word: raka = to shave, and stuga = small house or hut. Some words in this poem may be unusually difficult to find, since it uses pre-1906 spelling.

The poem is about two men who are being prepared for a shave on a Sunday morning, when someone enters the barbershop with the latest gossip - someone in town has committed suicide. The two men are very quick to judge and condemn. They discuss the matter confidently and eagerly, but become more silent and still as the barbers start shaving their faces with straight razors, and finally fall entirely silent when they're having their necks shaved, revealing that behind all the bluster, they fear even the slightest risk of death, and should not be so quick to judge someone who faced it directly.

I like the poem not only because of its vivid descriptions and well-chosen words, but also because the message seems quite modern and sympathetic, considering the fact it was written in 1884.

Thanks for prooflistening :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

eam2468 wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:13 amRakstuga is an old-fashioned word for barbershop. It's a compound word: raka = to shave, and stuga = small house or hut. Some words in this poem may be unusually difficult to find, since it uses pre-1906 spelling.
ah, thanks :) also for the explanation, it's indeed quite a gripping theme and you put enough emphasis into your voice, especially at the end with the knives at their throat. :shock: Well done.

Sonia
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

dckabir wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:30 pm :( missed the date again, I had meant to read another story, but this one caught my fancy instead.
I'll post another one in the new year :)
Hi

As promised, here's something for this project. Hope I got it right this time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw031_duipakhi_tagore_dc_128kb.mp3
03:03
Rabindranath Tagore
Dui Pakhi
https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.340223/page/n63/mode/2up?view=theater
A conversation between two birds: one free and the other captive.

Thank you
dc
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

dckabir wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:44 am As promised, here's something for this project. Hope I got it right this time.
Hi DC,

That seems to be a Bengali source that we can use, which would be exciting! The publication date is given 1894 in the metadata and the source, Digital Library of India, is (was?) a reputable digitization initiative. However, I'm not sure if they cite the original publication date of the work or the publication date of the scanned edition. I don't know Bengali, but the title page seems to say ১৩০১ = 1301? Would that be 1301 A.H. = 1883-1884 C.E.?

Michael
dckabir

Post by dckabir »

Kazbek wrote: January 24th, 2022, 9:36 pm
dckabir wrote: January 24th, 2022, 11:44 am As promised, here's something for this project. Hope I got it right this time.
Hi DC,

That seems to be a Bengali source that we can use, which would be exciting! The publication date is given 1894 in the metadata and the source, Digital Library of India, is (was?) a reputable digitization initiative. However, I'm not sure if they cite the original publication date of the work or the publication date of the scanned edition. I don't know Bengali, but the title page seems to say ১৩০১ = 1301? Would that be 1301 A.H. = 1883-1884 C.E.?

Michael

Hi Michael :)

Yes 1301 as quoted on the title page corresponds to the Bengali year.
We are currently in year 1428 as per the Bengali calendar. On the 15th of April 2022, will start the Bengali new year of 1429.
Hence this work was published approximately 127 -128 years back and we are safely in the public domain :D

Thank you
dc
dc
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

dckabir wrote: January 25th, 2022, 2:32 am Yes 1301 as quoted on the title page corresponds to the Bengali year.
We are currently in year 1428 as per the Bengali calendar. On the 15th of April 2022, will start the Bengali new year of 1429.
Hence this work was published approximately 127 -128 years back and we are safely in the public domain :D
Perfect! I didn't about the Bengali calendar... learned something new today. :)

I've posted a "PL wanted" announcement. If you know someone who would like to PL this poem, please send them our way. We can take care of checking the technical requirements.

Thanks!
Michael
GiuliaP

Post by GiuliaP »

Hi everyone! :D I'm new here and for my first contribution I would like to read a novella from Boccaccio's Decameron, because it's a very important and meaningful text for me (I analyzed it very carefully for my gradution thesis in Italian Literature).
I would like to read it in Italian, my native language and native language of the text as well, but I have some doubts about the source: I found this version of the text on Wikisource, can I read it from here?

https://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Decameron/Giornata_quarta/Novella_prima

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

GiuliaP wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:57 am I would like to read it in Italian, my native language and native language of the text as well, but I have some doubts about the source: I found this version of the text on Wikisource, can I read it from here?

Hi Giulia,

Welcome to the project! It would be great to have a recording of this novella in the catalog. Unfortunately, we can't use this particular edition until next year, for copyright reasons explained in the instructions at the top of this thread. You can find an edition published in 1926 or earlier at the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/details/texts

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GiuliaP wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:57 amHi everyone! :D I'm new here and for my first contribution I would like to read a novella from Boccaccio's Decameron, because it's a very important and meaningful text for me (I analyzed it very carefully for my gradution thesis in Italian Literature).
I would like to read it in Italian, my native language and native language of the text as well, but I have some doubts about the source: I found this version of the text on Wikisource, can I read it from here?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
Hello Giulia

as Michael already said, wikisource is sometimes tricky and this book is not in the public domain yet. I searched a bit on archive.org and found the same story in this older book (from 1789) which can be used. If you can read from this text, we're good :) https://archive.org/details/decameronedimes01villgoog/page/n176/mode/2up

Looking forward to listening to your narration. If it's not too fast, I can easily follow along with the text. 8-)

Sonia
GiuliaP

Post by GiuliaP »

Hi Giulia,

Welcome to the project! It would be great to have a recording of this novella in the catalog. Unfortunately, we can't use this particular edition until next year, for copyright reasons explained in the instructions at the top of this thread. You can find an edition published in 1926 or earlier at the Internet Archive:
Hello Giulia

as Michael already said, wikisource is sometimes tricky and this book is not in the public domain yet. I searched a bit on archive.org and found the same story in this older book (from 1789) which can be used. If you can read from this text, we're good :)
Thank you very much for your kind help! I will upload the recording as soon as I can :thumbs: