COMPLETE / Multilingual Short Works Collection 030 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:50 amEh bien... justement.... je pensais à un très charmant Zola, croustillant..., Les Coquillages de M. Chabre.
Wikisource. Je peux te le proposer en livre indépendant. C’est un peu long. Ça dépassera 72´.
Veux-tu que je prépare le Template ? C’est un charmant petit roman.
ah je ne le voulais pas pour immédiatement, car j'ai encore un peu trop de projets pour le moment, ça me déborderait. Mais ce sera pour quelquefois dans le futur. Merci quand-même.

Sonia
ChristianeJehanne

Post by ChristianeJehanne »

OK. Je note et ... pour plus tard... on verra .
Christiane.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:50 am Je peux enregistrer Le Carnet de danse, et, La Fee amoureuse, par exemple, les deux chez Wikisource, pour ce msn 30. Si tu veux. 1864. Deux autres sections.
Tu me dis.
mes excuses, j'ai râté cette partie de ton message. Oui, les deux textes sont ok pour cette collection :)

merci

Sonia
ChristianeJehanne

Bonjour Sonia,

Entendu, et à bientôt.

Tempête en ce moment, en sud Bretagne...

Bonne fin de journée !
Christiane.
NatantheLV

Post by NatantheLV »

Hello,

Happy to submit a short story in Hebrew - "הזקן" ("The Clock that Struck Thirteen") by the Ukrainian Sholem Aleichem (indexed in LibriVox as 'שלום עליכם Sholem Aleichem')
The story was originally published in Yiddish in 1900; this is a translation to Hebrew by the author, first published in 1901.

• Title: הזקן (The Clock that Struck Thirteen)
  • Language: Hebrew
  • Author: שלום עליכם / Sholem Aleichem (1859-1916)
  • Length: 18 minutes, 03 seconds
  • Keywords: שלום עליכם, עולם קטן, סיפורי ילדים, יידיש, שעון, Sholem Aleichem, Yiddish, Hebrew, Clock
  • Reader: Nathan Lewin

Hope everything is alright
- Nathan
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

NatantheLV wrote: October 20th, 2021, 9:56 am Hello,

Happy to submit a short story in Hebrew - "הזקן" ("The Clock that Struck Thirteen") by the Ukrainian Sholem Aleichem (indexed in LibriVox as 'שלום עליכם Sholem Aleichem')
The story was originally published in Yiddish in 1900; this is a translation to Hebrew by the author, first published in 1901.
Hi Nathan,

It would be great to have this recording in our catalog. However, as noted in the instructions at the top of this thread, we need to ensure its public domain status in the US. The key indicator of copyright status in the US is not when the work was originally published, but publication year of the specific edition you read from. Does BenYehuda.org give the publication year of the edition they used to make their transcription?

Michael
NatantheLV

Post by NatantheLV »

Hi Michael,

According to one of the footnotes of the text found on BenYehuda.org, this edition is a transcription of its printing in 1901, sans explanations of some of the words (the text was originally published in a Hebrew children's magazine, aimed at children who didn't necessarily speak the language).

All of the texts in BenYehuda.org are typed and uploaded in HTML, making their contents searchable. The downside of this is that the original scans usually aren't linked (from what I gather, many of the site's volunteers use printed copies of the works that aren't always availably online), so it's difficult to get precise dates of the publications. In this case, it's clear that the footnotes were added after the original publishing in 1901, since they reference and compare later publications of the work (namely the 1904 publication). At the very least, this text, along with its footnotes, is in the public domain in Israel (70 years after the death of its writer).

If the issue lies solely with the date of these footnotes, I could edit the recording to remove them entirely, leaving only the original 1901 text (the footnotes mainly regard different versions of the text, and the story stands on its own without them). If the problem extends to the text as a whole, I assume that this entire recording is unusable. =/

If the latter of the two is the case, there is a second solution - there exists a scanned version of the aforementioned 1904 publication in the National Library of Israel, collected in a book of Sholem Aleichem's writing (https://www.nli.org.il/he/books/NNL_ALEPH001323978/NLI, pg. 51-58). This is a rewrite of the text, however, and would require an entirely new recording.

Let me know what you think, and I'll be sure to send the new recording (if necessary) your way.

- Nathan

P.S. A general technical question: if I need to reupload a recording, do I need to change the name myself, or will the uploader create a new link for me (in this case, can I upload an .mp3 with the same name as the existing upload, or do I need to change the name before uploading it)?
- Nathan
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

NatantheLV wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:06 am All of the texts in BenYehuda.org are typed and uploaded in HTML, making their contents searchable. The downside of this is that the original scans usually aren't linked (from what I gather, many of the site's volunteers use printed copies of the works that aren't always availably online), so it's difficult to get precise dates of the publications. In this case, it's clear that the footnotes were added after the original publishing in 1901, since they reference and compare later publications of the work (namely the 1904 publication). At the very least, this text, along with its footnotes, is in the public domain in Israel (70 years after the death of its writer).

If the issue lies solely with the date of these footnotes, I could edit the recording to remove them entirely, leaving only the original 1901 text (the footnotes mainly regard different versions of the text, and the story stands on its own without them). If the problem extends to the text as a whole, I assume that this entire recording is unusable. =/
Hi Nathan,

Thanks for checking! If the BenYehuda page clearly states that the text is based on a 1901 edition, we can use it, but we will need to ask you to remove any additions that were published after 1925 or whose date of publication is unknown.
P.S. A general technical question: if I need to reupload a recording, do I need to change the name myself, or will the uploader create a new link for me (in this case, can I upload an .mp3 with the same name as the existing upload, or do I need to change the name before uploading it)?
Please reupload the updated recording with the same filename. The upload URL you see should be the same, but please post it in the thread anyway (to be sure we have the right version), together with the new duration.

Thanks,
Michael
NatantheLV

Post by NatantheLV »

Hi Michael,

Good thing I kept all of the notes in a separate audio channel in Audacity...

Here is the new upload, without the footnotes: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw030_clockstruckthirteen_aleichem_nl_128kb.mp3 (new duration: 13 min. 42 sec.)

Cheers,
Nathan
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

NatantheLV wrote: October 21st, 2021, 8:14 am Here is the new upload, without the footnotes: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw030_clockstruckthirteen_aleichem_nl_128kb.mp3 (new duration: 13 min. 42 sec.)
Thank you, Nathan! I'm glad the edits weren't too difficult. Sonia and I can PL a few languages between us, but unfortunately Hebrew isn't among them. I've contacted a couple of Hebrew speakers to see if they can help.

Also, we use the transliteration to accompany the original title. Please take a look at the Magic Window to verify that my transliteration attempt is correct. I'm not sure how to describe "The Clock that Struck Thirteen" (I believe הזקן means "the elder" or "the old man"?), but I've added it to the keywords.

Michael
NatantheLV

Post by NatantheLV »

Kazbek wrote:Also, we use the transliteration to accompany the original title. Please take a look at the Magic Window to verify that my transliteration attempt is correct. I'm not sure how to describe "The Clock that Struck Thirteen" (I believe הזקן means "the elder" or "the old man"?), but I've added it to the keywords.
Thanks, Michael.

The transliteration is great, and the definition is spot-on. 'הזקן' is simply an adjective that means 'the old _', mostly used as a title (in this case, referring to the clock). I found a few online references that title this story as 'The Clock that Struck Thirteen', so I assume that this is the accepted English translation of the title: "The Best of Sholom Aleichem" at WorldCat, "The Worlds of Sholem Aleichem" at Google Books and "The Clock That Struck Thirteen" at LibraryThing, to name a few.

Let me know when the PL is ready,
Nathan

P.S. feel free to contact me if you ever need another Hebrew PL sometime in the future ;)
ChristianeJehanne

Bonjour!

Voici:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw030_emilezola_maupassant_chj_128kb.mp3
36:47

ET :
28:37
ZOLA Emile 1840-1902
Français
La Carnet de danse
https://fr.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Contes_%C3%A0_Ninon/Le_carnet_de_danse

Nouvelle charmante, sur la danse, et ces carnets où l'on retrouve des noms qui font rêver à une soirée passée, et, certain carnet est même assez malicieux...

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw030_lecarnetdedanse_zola_chj_128kb.mp3

Bonne journée :) !

Christiane.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here's something in Polish, as per usual:

Kampania rzymska
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw030_kampaniarzymska_krasinski_pn81_128kb.mp3 duration: 1:45
Author Zygmunt Krasiński (1812-1859) (new author in the database; bear in mind that we already have Krasicki and Kraszewski, so be careful ;) )
Source text: https://polona.pl/item/poezje-liryczne-cz-1,MjI5NDU2Mg/17/#info:metadata
Source date: 1910
Wikipedia link to the author: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zygmunt_Krasi%C5%84ski
Key words: poezja, miłość, wspomnienia, młodość
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ChristianeJehanne wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 3:56 am Bonjour!

Voici:
Bonjour Christiane,

Merci, j'ai mis à jour la fenêtre pour Sonia.

Dans cette collection, nous demandons aux lecteurs de fournir quelques mots-clés décrivant chaque texte, pour aider les auditeurs à trouver l'enrégistrement via le moteur de recherche d'Internet Archive. Vous avez commenté brièvement chaque texte, et j'ai utilisé vos commentaires comme mots-clés (dans la fenêtre). Laissez-moi savoir si vous souhaitez les changer.

Bon dimanche ! :)
Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 5:20 am Here's something in Polish, as per usual:
Thank you, Piotrek! And with that, the entire trójca wieszczów will be represented in our catalog. :)

Michael