COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

catharmaiden wrote: July 15th, 2021, 8:38 am Now it's perfect. Well done! PL ok :thumbs:
:9: thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Kitty wrote: July 15th, 2021, 10:28 am
catharmaiden wrote: July 15th, 2021, 8:38 am Now it's perfect. Well done! PL ok :thumbs:
:9: thanks
Great, and I have the honor of putting it into the MW. :)

Thank you both!
Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here's another one in Polish, an important poetic manifesto in which the author (the editor-in chief of a poetry magazine) argued for "poetry for poetry's sake", free from any moral constraints and obligations to the state or society. To him the poet shouldn't try to educate the public on mundane matters because that's the job of "itinerant teachers" and "relevant books", while the poet should focus solely on describing "outbursts of the soul".
Based on what I read, though, his calls weren't met with a positive reaction and led to a backlash both from the readers, who were not happy with this elitist and detached approach, and from the censors, who often intervened citing the immorality of the works published.
Interestingly, the author points out that poeple should pay for their poetry, just like they pay for other art. An interesting parallel to today's calls from artists.

Title: Confiteor
Duration: 12:01
Author: Stanisław Przybyszewski (1868-1927) (new author in the database)
Link to author on Wikipedia https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanis%C5%82aw_Przybyszewski
Link to the text: https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Confiteor (includes the link to scans)
Publication date: 1899
Uploader link:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_confiteor_przybyszewski_pn81_128kb.mp3
Language: Polish
Key words: poezja, artysta, poeta
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: July 16th, 2021, 12:40 pm Here's another one in Polish, an important poetic manifesto in which the author (the editor-in chief of a poetry magazine) argued for "poetry for poetry's sake", free from any moral constraints and obligations to the state or society. To him the poet shouldn't try to educate the public on mundane matters because that's the job of "itinerant teachers" and "relevant books", while the poet should focus solely on describing "outbursts of the soul".
Based on what I read, though, his calls weren't met with a positive reaction and led to a backlash both from the readers, who were not happy with this elitist and detached approach, and from the censors, who often intervened citing the immorality of the works published.
Interestingly, the author points out that poeple should pay for their poetry, just like they pay for other art. An interesting parallel to today's calls from artists.
Thank you, Piotrek! I'm not familiar with the history of literary movements in Poland. It's interesting how Positivism and the Young Poland movement seem to have in some way paralleled Narodnichestvo and Symbolism in Russia, in their chronology and in having elements of social engagement and of art for art's sake, respectively, while in other ways they were apparently quite different.
Author: Stanisław Przybyszewski (1868-1927) (new author in the database)
Actually, we already had one of his German novels in the catalog -- or rather three (Homo sapiens - Romantrilogie). 8-)

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Piotrek81 wrote: July 16th, 2021, 12:40 pmTo him the poet shouldn't try to educate the public on mundane matters because that's the job of "itinerant teachers" and "relevant books"
haha, I think he put on quite a good "teacher tone" in his article here ;) I can imagine that some people took a bit bad to this article.

But excellently narrated and as far as I can judge, no textual errors. :thumbs: Straight PL ok, thank you Piotr.

Sonia
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Hello!

I have just uploaded another reading.
It is in Dutch.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_serre_maupassant_rp_128kb.mp3

The track lenght is 12'06"
Keywords: Nederlands; Verhalen; Franse schrijver

This is the place were I found it: https://archive.org/details/DeMooisteVerhalenVanGuyDeMaupassant

I await the outcome of the PL and hope it goes well.
Ruti
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RutiPape wrote: July 18th, 2021, 7:46 am Hello!

I have just uploaded another reading.
It is in Dutch.
Hi Ruti,

I see you're a polyglot!
I'm sorry, but we can't use this source. You can see from the CC icon that it's released under a Creative Commons license, which means it's not in the public domain. For a source found at Archive.org to be usable at LibriVox, it has to be a scan whose title page shows the publication year of 1925 or earlier. Hopefully you can find a public domain version of this text, but I'm afraid I don't see one online. :(

Michael
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Hi Michael,
thanks for your quick answer.
Kazbek wrote: July 18th, 2021, 8:33 am
I'm sorry, but we can't use this source. You can see from the CC icon that it's released under a Creative Commons license, which means it's not in the public domain. For a source found at Archive.org to be usable at LibriVox, it has to be a scan whose title page shows the publication year of 1925 or earlier. Hopefully you can find a public domain version of this text, but I'm afraid I don't see one online. :(

Michael
Oh, what a pity :(
I thought they were all good from that site! Considering it's a story from 1883!!!
Well, patience! I learned something else! :)

To the next!

Ah yes, I'm bilingual.

Ruti
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RutiPape wrote: July 18th, 2021, 2:36 pm Oh, what a pity :(
I thought they were all good from that site! Considering it's a story from 1883!!!
Well, patience! I learned something else! :)
We're always happy to check the copyright status of a source before it's been recorded. It's no fun seeing situations like this. Also, if the translator is known and has died more than 70 ago, you should be able to publish this reading at https://legamus.eu/, which is a site similar to LV, specializing in sources that are in the public domain in the EU, but not in the US.
To the next!
If you like poetry, we have a new group project in Italian, Antologia della poesia italiana (1265-1400).

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RutiPape wrote: July 18th, 2021, 2:36 pmI thought they were all good from that site! Considering it's a story from 1883!!!
the thing we have to consider is not only the publishing date from the original material, because, yes, Maupassant is public domain already. But here you have a Dutch translation, which may have been done in the 1990s and then that text would not be public domain. Also the translation has to be published before 1925.

And yes, archive-documents are super handy to use because with the scans we can see right away when the publishing date was. But anybody can upload there and sometimes there are newer documents. So we have to check the page with the publishing date. Your link didn't even open the book for me, I wonder how you could read from it ? :hmm: But if you can open it you must look at one of the first pages where the publishing house and date is marked (sometimes also at the end). I think this one is not yet public domain, otherwise they would have included a fully visual scan of the pages.

So before recording, best to show us the link, then you won't do the whole work for nothing.

And you are Dutch !!! I should have known when I heard you pronounce Ruti with a Dutch-u sound, not at all Italian. :lol: I was wondering about that but since your Italian was so perfect, I thought I was mistaken.

Sonia
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kazbek wrote: July 18th, 2021, 4:35 pm
We're always happy to check the copyright status of a source before it's been recorded. It's no fun seeing situations like this. Also, if the translator is known and has died more than 70 ago, you should be able to publish this reading at https://legamus.eu/, which is a site similar to LV, specializing in sources that are in the public domain in the EU, but not in the US.
Thank you for the hint, Michael. I will ty it, so might be it will not useless work.
Kazbek wrote: July 18th, 2021, 4:35 pm If you like poetry, we have a new group project in Italian, Antologia della poesia italiana (1265-1400).

Michael
Poetry! That's another kind of reading.
I'll think about it!
Thank you

Ruti
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kitty wrote: July 19th, 2021, 1:29 am
RutiPape wrote: July 18th, 2021, 2:36 pmI thought they were all good from that site! Considering it's a story from 1883!!!
the thing we have to consider is not only the publishing date from the original material, because, yes, Maupassant is public domain already. But here you have a Dutch translation, which may have been done in the 1990s and then that text would not be public domain. Also the translation has to be published before 1925.

And yes, archive-documents are super handy to use because with the scans we can see right away when the publishing date was. But anybody can upload there and sometimes there are newer documents. So we have to check the page with the publishing date. Your link didn't even open the book for me, I wonder how you could read from it ? :hmm: But if you can open it you must look at one of the first pages where the publishing house and date is marked (sometimes also at the end). I think this one is not yet public domain, otherwise they would have included a fully visual scan of the pages.

So before recording, best to show us the link, then you won't do the whole work for nothing.

And you are Dutch !!! I should have known when I heard you pronounce Ruti with a Dutch-u sound, not at all Italian. :lol: I was wondering about that but since your Italian was so perfect, I thought I was mistaken.

Sonia
Hi Sonia,
thanks for your explanations.
This is a new world for me, so I have to learn a lot yet.

Yes, the next time I will show you the link before recording.

I could open the link with a e-pub reader. I just try it and ... it worked!!

And you were right: I am half Dutch and half Italian :wink:

To hear each other again! :D
Ruti
lorda
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by lorda »

For the last slot - an outline for a novel that was never written. In German.

Roman: Marien Sehnsucht von Joseph von Eichendroff
Text URL: https://archive.org/details/briefeunddichtu00eichgoog/page/n114/mode/1up (1906)
Duration: 5:36
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_mariensehnsucht_eichendorff_loa_128kb.mp3
Key Words: multilingual, german, outline

Greetings from Germany. :)
Bernd
Don't dream it - be it. (Dr. Frank N. Furter)
How much free time would we have without all this computer stuff?

reader page of lorda

Bambi - 7 Abschnitte frei
Sonnenuntergang - 3 Rollen unbesetzt
I will be on vacation from March 28 to April 1.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

lorda wrote: July 25th, 2021, 9:49 am For the last slot - an outline for a novel that was never written. In German.
Thank you, Bernd!

Michael
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lorda wrote: July 25th, 2021, 9:49 amFor the last slot - an outline for a novel that was never written. In German.
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_mariensehnsucht_eichendorff_loa_128kb.mp3
how interesting, to read the sketch for a novel outlined by the author himself. So funny to see all the "must" elements of romantic literature in there already, I had to grin when he started mentioning the ghost-scene :lol:

Excellently narrated and PL ok, Bernd, thank you.

So all the slots are filled but 2 sections have PL notes. Michael, I think you already PMed the readers, is that right ? Is it anything we can correct ourselves ? If not, we can keep this project going till two more sections are in and we carry the other two over into the next project.

Sonia