COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

victorseremet wrote: April 16th, 2021, 2:38 am Hi!
Please find here another Romanian poem
Thank you, Victor! Our Romanian catalog is getting a big boost with this volume! 8-)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

pwierzbowski wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:57 am Here is a poem in Esperanto, originally written by Leon Zamenhof and published in Literatura Mondo, 1922. Ĉu estas land’?… (Is there a country?) is about an ideal country that exists only in the heart.
Thank you, Przemek! I changed the link to a full scan of the magazine, so its public domain status is easier to verify.

Michael
lw1474

Post by lw1474 »

Hi Yuqing and Michael,
Thank you so much, Yuqing, for spending so much time to PL my recording. That is super helpful!! I should have replied earlier, but was distracted by work this week. I will definitely find time to revise my recording. I really appreciate your help. Also thank Michael for the info on how to revise!
More soon,
Ling
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SachaKard wrote: April 15th, 2021, 5:27 pmHere is a fairytale from H. C. Andersen in french : )

La Bergère et le ramoneur, from this link : http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18244/18244-h/18244-h.htm#La_bergere_et_le_ramoneur
The audio file : https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_bergereramoneur_andersen_aik_128kb.mp3
Duration : 10:03
ah how lovely, a fresh new voice for our French reading group :D I do hope to hear you soon in other French group projects, Sacha. (we have 4 more running right now) You sound rather young still, and I really adored the story, which I remembered from childhood. :9: Very nicely narrated, thank you so much.

There are a few things to correct though, but not to worry, you don't have to re-record from scratch. The story in itself is word perfect. The corrections only concern the intro and outro:

> for the intro, could you please refer to the example in the first post ? You can say it in French of course. Actually you would have to add all which I have underlined here and cut out the book title (contes merveilleux...etc) We only read the title of the story, not of the entire book. It should run like this in the end:
"La bergère et le ramoneur, par Hans Christian Andersen, lu en français par Alexandre Ivan Kard. Ceci est un enregistrement Librivox. Tous nos enregistrements appartiennent au domaine publique. Pour vous renseigner à notre sujet ou pour participer, rendez-vous sur librivox.org. – La bergère et le ramoneur." and then start with the story

> from 0:27 to 0:32: between the title and the start of the story, 5 seconds of silence are too much for a listener, they will think something is wrong with the audio ;) in fact I always recommend staying under 2 seconds, even between paragraphes. Usually 1 second to maximum 1.5 is fully enough to make a small break. Could you cut the silence here to under 2 seconds please ?

> at 9:56: at the end could you please repeat the correct title and the author one more time, like this: Fin de "La bergère et le ramoneur", par Hans Christian Andersen And careful with the end silence, we want a standard of 5 seconds, here you exceed 6 already. You could cut one second, since you have to reupload anyway

> reupload with the exact same filename, then the old file gets replaced by the new one

Thank you !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

victorseremet wrote: April 16th, 2021, 2:38 amPlease find here another Romanian poem

Title: Oaspetii Primaverii
Uploader Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_oaspetiiprimaverii_alecsandri_vs_128kb.mp3
thank you, Victor, a wonderful poem for the beginning of spring. In fact we already had another one in this collection, so they go well together 8-) It's absolutely PL ok. You could have taken the shortened disclaimer for a short poem, but you need not reupload it again, it's also fine like this. :)

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

pwierzbowski wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:57 amTitle: Ĉu estas land’?…
Author: Leon Zamenhof
Uploader Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_chuestasland_zamenhof_pw_128kb.mp3
ah another interesting reading in Esperanto, haven't heard from you in a while, great to have you still on board :)

The poem itself is lovely read but there are two small additions to be made:

> in the intro, could you please also say the language in which it is read ? "read in Esperanto by...."
> at the end, please leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence (you barely have 2 seconds – please add 3)

thanks

Sonia
victorseremet

Post by victorseremet »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:12 am thank you, Victor, a wonderful poem for the beginning of spring. In fact we already had another one in this collection, so they go well together 8-) It's absolutely PL ok. You could have taken the shortened disclaimer for a short poem, but you need not reupload it again, it's also fine like this. :)
Thanks
Sonia
Many thanks for your review and sugestion, Sonia!
I will use the shortened disclaimer for future short works.

Thank you
Victor
SachaKard

Post by SachaKard »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2021, 3:53 am ah how lovely, a fresh new voice for our French reading group :D I do hope to hear you soon in other French group projects, Sacha. (we have 4 more running right now) You sound rather young still, and I really adored the story, which I remembered from childhood. :9: Very nicely narrated, thank you so much.

There are a few things to correct though, but not to worry, you don't have to re-record from scratch. The story in itself is word perfect. The corrections only concern the intro and outro:

> for the intro, could you please refer to the example in the first post ? You can say it in French of course. Actually you would have to add all which I have underlined here and cut out the book title (contes merveilleux...etc) We only read the title of the story, not of the entire book. It should run like this in the end:
"La bergère et le ramoneur, par Hans Christian Andersen, lu en français par Alexandre Ivan Kard. Ceci est un enregistrement Librivox. Tous nos enregistrements appartiennent au domaine publique. Pour vous renseigner à notre sujet ou pour participer, rendez-vous sur librivox.org. – La bergère et le ramoneur." and then start with the story

> from 0:27 to 0:32: between the title and the start of the story, 5 seconds of silence are too much for a listener, they will think something is wrong with the audio ;) in fact I always recommend staying under 2 seconds, even between paragraphes. Usually 1 second to maximum 1.5 is fully enough to make a small break. Could you cut the silence here to under 2 seconds please ?

> at 9:56: at the end could you please repeat the correct title and the author one more time, like this: Fin de "La bergère et le ramoneur", par Hans Christian Andersen And careful with the end silence, we want a standard of 5 seconds, here you exceed 6 already. You could cut one second, since you have to reupload anyway

> reupload with the exact same filename, then the old file gets replaced by the new one

Thank you !

Sonia
Thank you Sonia for the warm welcome and for the proof-listening; I'd be eager to help filling the french part of the catalog with fairytales and novels from my childhood :) And maybe even BC a Comtesse de Ségur story someday, when I'll have gotten the hang of it all (in maybe a year or two if I'm still on here??)

I just reuploaded the file under the exact same name and the modifications, I hope it is all A-OK now :) ( https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_bergereramoneur_andersen_aik_128kb.mp3) )
Bright the hawk’s flight
on the empty sky.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SachaKard wrote: April 20th, 2021, 1:28 pmThank you Sonia for the warm welcome and for the proof-listening; I'd be eager to help filling the french part of the catalog with fairytales and novels from my childhood :) And maybe even BC a Comtesse de Ségur story someday, when I'll have gotten the hang of it all (in maybe a year or two if I'm still on here??)

I just reuploaded the file under the exact same name and the modifications, I hope it is all A-OK now :) ( https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_bergereramoneur_andersen_aik_128kb.mp3) )
it is perfectly PL ok now :thumbs: and I am definitely looking forward to more fairy tales :9:

And yes, working in a few group projects to get the hang of it is recommendable before starting a solo or a group project yourself. Very sensible choice.

Thank you

Sonia
pwierzbowski

Post by pwierzbowski »

Kitty wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:25 am
pwierzbowski wrote: April 16th, 2021, 5:57 amTitle: Ĉu estas land’?…
Author: Leon Zamenhof
Uploader Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_chuestasland_zamenhof_pw_128kb.mp3
ah another interesting reading in Esperanto, haven't heard from you in a while, great to have you still on board :)

The poem itself is lovely read but there are two small additions to be made:

> in the intro, could you please also say the language in which it is read ? "read in Esperanto by...."
> at the end, please leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence (you barely have 2 seconds – please add 3)

thanks

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia! I changed the recording.
— Przemek.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

pwierzbowski wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 7:29 am Thank you, Sonia! I changed the recording.
— Przemek.
thank you, and now PL ok :)

Sonia
aditidankar

Post by aditidankar »

Hello! :D

Kabir ke Dohe (Six Couplets) by Kabir Das

Author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabir
Publication: Around 15th century CE

MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_kabirkedohe_das_ad_128kb.mp3
Duration (mm:ss): 01:23
Keywords: Hindi poem, Kabir Das, Indian poem

Name to be credited in the catalogue: Aditi Dankar
Link to personal blog: aditidankar.medium.com

Thank you,
Aditi Dankar :)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

aditidankar wrote: April 24th, 2021, 1:58 pm Hello! :D

Kabir ke Dohe (Six Couplets) by Kabir Das

Author: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabir
Publication: Around 15th century CE

MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_kabirkedohe_das_ad_128kb.mp3
Duration (mm:ss): 01:23
Keywords: Hindi poem, Kabir Das, Indian poem

Name to be credited in the catalogue: Aditi Dankar
Link to personal blog: aditidankar.medium.com

Thank you,
Aditi Dankar :)
Hi Aditi,

It would be fantastic to add a reading of Kabir in the original to our catalog! Unfortunately, in order to ensure that the recording is in the public domain in the US, where our servers are located, we need to verify not only the original publication date of the work, but also the publication date of the edition you read from. We can read from a scan where the title page shows a publication year of 1925 or earlier (Archive.org is a good place to look for these), or a text from Gutenberg.org, or a text that is available in Full View at HathiTrust.org.

I did a quick search on all these sites, and I'm sorry to say that I wasn't able to find a PD edition of this poem. :( I'm hoping you had better luck. If you did read from an edition which meets these criteria, we would need to have a link to this edition or a copy of the title page to verify its PD status. Don't hesitate to ask us about PD status of a text you're planning to use before recording it.

In the meantime, since you haven't done a 1-minute test yet, I checked the technical specs of your recording. Your software is configured according to our standards and you're sounding great. :thumbs: For future recording, you'll want to increase the volume by about 13 dB (that is, by quite a bit).

Thanks for volunteering! :)
Michael
aditidankar

Post by aditidankar »

Hey Michael, :)

I didn't know that :(. The book that I read it from wasn't published before 1925. Let me see if I can find another version that is in the PD and rerecord.

I have a question regarding this. If I were to select some poems or stories at random by one author or a few different authors, that is, they are all from different sources, will it be possible to record them? For example, if I want to record a few stories by O. Henry and Saki (solo), so if I pick a few stories from different sources, will I be able to record them? Or even "Kabir ke Dohe", if I find them from different sources that are in the PD, can I record them? Or do they have to come from the same source that I need to link in the forum?

Do I still need to do the 1-minute test? I will increase the decibels when I record next. :)

Thanks,
Aditi :D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Time for the obligatory Polish contribution 8-)

Title: Z puszczy Białowieskiej

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/msw029_zpuszczybialowieskiej_sienkiewicz_pn81_128kb.mp3 52:31

Author: Henryk Sienkiewicz

Language: Polish

Text source: https://pl.wikisource.org/wiki/Z_puszczy_Bia%C5%82owieskiej_(Sienkiewicz) (look to the right for the scans)

Publication date: 1907

Keywords: las, przyroda, zwierzęta, polska

We're getting back to non-fiction pieces by Sienkiewicz. This one takes us to the ancient Białowieża Forest , one of the natural wonders of Europe and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, famous for its European bison re-introduction programme. Much of the piece I read is devoted to the animal, and it actually sounds like the desire to see it was among Sienkiewicz's main motives to visit the place.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS