COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Hello,

I'm new on LibriVox. I just posted my 1-Minute test.
I would like to read in Italian, but I don't know where to find the stories to read.
Can you help me, please?

Thanks,
Ruti Pape
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RutiPape wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:16 am Hello,

I would like to read in Italian, but I don't know where to find the stories to read.
Can you help me, please?

Thanks,
Ruti Pape
Hi Ruti,

Welcome to LibriVox! :) In order to ensure that the recording is in the public domain in the US, where our servers are located, we need to verify the US copyright status of the edition you read from. We can read from a scan where the title page shows a publication year of 1925 or earlier (Archive.org is a good place to look for these), or a text from Gutenberg.org, or a text that is available at HathiTrust.org in Full View mode in the US (we can help you check this). Our contributors who reside outside the US are also personally responsible for verifying that the text is in the public domain according to copyright laws of their own country, which may be based on the lifespan of the author rather than publication date.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

The Emperor's New Clothes - HEBREW, by Hans Christian Andersen (1805 - 1875), translated by David Frischmann (1859 - 1922)

KAZBEK - Michael------and -----JAZZMZN - Guy
thank you both!!!!!
My head is spinning with all these COPYRIGHT laws... :help: :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RutiPape wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:16 amI'm new on LibriVox. I just posted my 1-Minute test.
Can you help me, please?
Hello again, Ruti

I just listened to your test and gave you feedback on how to amplify it in Audacity, please check back in your test-thread.

> As for texts to read, a good source to check is Gutenberg, here is their list of public domain Italian books: https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/it, although I'm not sure whether you can access all books, some may not be public domain yet in Italy, if the author has not been dead yet for 70 years.

> Another good source for texts is archive.org: https://archive.org/about/. You can browse their huge database, limiting your search to Italian books. As an example, I put in "biblioteca italiana" and I found the following hits: https://archive.org/search.php?query=biblioteca%20italiana. In these magazines there are tons of short articles that are acceptable to record for LV. The advantage is that they have the scan of the books and you can see on the first pages the copyright date. We accept books that were published before 1925. If in doubt, post your link here before you record, and we'll double-check it for you. :)

Another option is to read in one of our current group projects, for the moment we have one open project running:

> Antologia di poetesse italiane: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78179

There will be other launches soon, I'm sure.

Good luck with your first recording, looking forward to listening to your narration. :)

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: June 6th, 2021, 7:58 am Hi Michael,
This story is taken from a book named "הגדות וסיפורים מאת ה. אנדרסן" (translated as "Stories by H. Andersen"). The book is a translation of stories by Hans Christian Andersen to Hebrew by David Frischmann (1859-1922).
The book's footnote on the Ben Yehuda site (https://benyehuda.org/author/142#fn:1) cites the source as: "הוצאת “מוריה” ו“יוֹדישֶר פֶרלַג”,מהדורה חמישית, ברלין, תרפ"ג"
This means that this book was published by "מוריה" (read as "Moriah"; the original name of Dvir) and Jüdischer Verlag. The source is from the 5th edition of the book, and was published in Berlin in the Hebrew year תרפ"ג (September 1922 - September 1923).
Hopefully this clarifies the copyright status of the work.
YisraelAdler wrote: June 6th, 2021, 11:22 am The Emperor's New Clothes - HEBREW, by Hans Christian Andersen (1805 - 1875), translated by David Frischmann (1859 - 1922)

KAZBEK - Michael------and -----JAZZMZN - Guy
thank you both!!!!!
My head is spinning with all these COPYRIGHT laws... :help: :lol:
Yisrael and Guy,

Good news! We can use texts from Ben Yehuda, as long as they specify the publication date of the edition from which the text was derived, and that date is more than 95 years ago, and you tell us what it is. :)

I've entered Yisrael's recording into the MW for Guy to PL.

Yisrael, I think my head was spinning a bit also, because I forgot to mention a couple of other pieces of information we ask for in this multilingual collection:

1) If the title is in an alphabet that isn't Latin-based, we ask fora transliteration of the title. For example, for the poem Jazzman read and you PLed, we've entered "[Tsiporet]" after the original title. For now, I've entered the English translation of the tale, but if you can give the transliteration (something like "begedi ha-malek..."?), we can use that instead.

2) We also ask readers to list a few keywords that would help listeners find their recording in a search engine, aside from the author's name in Latin characters and what appears in the Title column of the MW. Let me know if you can think of any. So far I've entered:

Keywords: הנס כריסטיאן אנדרסן ,דוד פרישמן, David Frischmann

Also, for the future, please note the filename format used in this collection:

msw029_[work's title]_[author's last name]_[your initials]_128kb.mp3

In this case, it would be something like: msw029_newclothes_andersen_ya_128kb.mp3

We can fix the filename for this one.

Thanks!
Michael
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kazbek wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:44 am
RutiPape wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:16 am Hello,

Can you help me, please?

Thanks,
Ruti Pape
Hi Ruti,

Welcome to LibriVox! :) In order to ensure that the recording is in the public domain in the US, where our servers are located, we need to verify the US copyright status of the edition you read from. We can read from a scan where the title page shows a publication year of 1925 or earlier (Archive.org is a good place to look for these), or a text from Gutenberg.org, or a text that is available at HathiTrust.org in Full View mode in the US (we can help you check this). Our contributors who reside outside the US are also personally responsible for verifying that the text is in the public domain according to copyright laws of their own country, which may be based on the lifespan of the author rather than publication date.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Michael

Hello Michael,

thanks for answering me.
After reading your post I tried immediately the sites you recommended. Gutenberg.org is blocked in Italy, I read something like this on the web, but on Archive.org there are a lot of books!
So I can begin.
Bye,
Ruti
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2021, 1:06 am
RutiPape wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:16 amI'm new on LibriVox. I just posted my 1-Minute test.
Can you help me, please?
Hello again, Ruti

I just listened to your test and gave you feedback on how to amplify it in Audacity, please check back in your test-thread.

> As for texts to read, a good source to check is Gutenberg, here is their list of public domain Italian books: https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/it, although I'm not sure whether you can access all books, some may not be public domain yet in Italy, if the author has not been dead yet for 70 years.

> Another good source for texts is archive.org: https://archive.org/about/. You can browse their huge database, limiting your search to Italian books. As an example, I put in "biblioteca italiana" and I found the following hits: https://archive.org/search.php?query=biblioteca%20italiana. In these magazines there are tons of short articles that are acceptable to record for LV. The advantage is that they have the scan of the books and you can see on the first pages the copyright date. We accept books that were published before 1925. If in doubt, post your link here before you record, and we'll double-check it for you. :)

Another option is to read in one of our current group projects, for the moment we have one open project running:

> Antologia di poetesse italiane: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=78179

There will be other launches soon, I'm sure.

Good luck with your first recording, looking forward to listening to your narration. :)

Sonia
Hello Sonia,
thanks for your clear and exhaustive answer.
I just posted the 1-minute test again.

Regarding the sites, Gutenberg.org is blocked in Italy, at least, so I read on the web. The other site, archive, has a lot of books. So I can begin!
I found short stories at this links, both books are published in 1901:
https://archive.org/details/RoggeroRaccontiMeravigliosi/page/n7/mode/1up
https://archive.org/details/rizzatti-racconti-incredibili/page/14/mode/1up

Is there the possibility that someone else has already read these stories, with the risk of producing duplicates?

When I read, can I pause? How do I do it in Audacity: do I press the "pause" button (2 black rectangles) or the "stop" button (black square)?
What about long pauses? I mean, resume the next day?

Thank you again for helping me
Ruti
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES

Dear Michael
Translitration --- Bigdey HaMelech HaChadashim

TAGS - Andersen tales, stupidity, Conformism, King's clothes, Naked, Children's honesty
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:50 pm EMPEROR'S NEW CLOTHES

Dear Michael
Translitration --- Bigdey HaMelech HaChadashim

TAGS - Andersen tales, stupidity, Conformism, King's clothes, Naked, Children's honesty
Thanks! I've updated the MW.

Michael
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Hi,

Listened to "The Emperor's New Clothes" (בגדי המלך החדשים). I really enjoyed the storytelling voice :)

Here are my PL notes:
  • Silence at beginning is 2 seconds (should be 0.5 to 1 second)
  • Intro: "This is Librivox recording" - should be "This is a Librivox recording"
  • Intro and Outro: perhaps add "translated by David Frischmann" after "by Hans Christian Andersen"?
  • 11:00 - 11:57 - birds chirping in the background are quite noticable and distracting
  • Silence at the end is 6 seconds (should be 5 seconds)
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

THANK YOU
CORRECTED NEEDED CORRECTIONS -- UPLOADED

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_newclothes_andersen_ya_128kb.mp3
LENGTH: 19:09
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

those two books are a wonderful find !!! :thumbs: Can't wait to listen to one of your stories.
Is there the possibility that someone else has already read these stories, with the risk of producing duplicates?
you can search our database for the author https://librivox.org/ (in the search box upper right corner). I just checked for Rizzatti and Roggero and there are no stories by them yet.

But ! even if they had been read already, we accept double or triple versions of the same text. Search for Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for example and you'll see how many versions there are already. :mrgreen: So if you want to read a second version, you would be welcome to do it.
When I read, can I pause? How do I do it in Audacity: do I press the "pause" button (2 black rectangles) or the "stop" button (black square)?
What about long pauses? I mean, resume the next day?
yes, luckily we can pause in a recording, otherwise I would never get anything done. I cannot read for more than 10 minutes without my voice hurting. :? It depends on how long the break is. If I only drink a bit of water, then I let the recording run on, because it can easily get edited out in the end. If I really stop for the day, I make a full stop and save the file under a preliminary name. Then the next day, I open another blank file and continue the recording. In the end I copy/paste all the different sessions together.

The only problem with multiple recording sessions is that your voice may sound a bit different, louder maybe, and the sound/background noise in the room may have changed from morning sessions to night sessions. So cleaning up the background noise and amplifying to a similar volume may be more tricky from day to day. But other than that, there is no reason why you couldn't make breaks in the recording. Just always remember to save your work regularly, I know from experience how frustrating it is to lose a file and having to redo the whole thing. :?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: June 7th, 2021, 9:41 pm Hi,

Listened to "The Emperor's New Clothes" (בגדי המלך החדשים). I really enjoyed the storytelling voice :)

Here are my PL notes:
YisraelAdler wrote: June 7th, 2021, 10:43 pm THANK YOU
CORRECTED NEEDED CORRECTIONS -- UPLOADED
Thanks, MW updated!

Michael
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

UPLOADED TO - Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw
THE GOLDEN GOOSE - a short story - FABELS OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM READ IN HEBREW

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_goldengoose_brothersgrimm_ya_128kb.mp3
LENGTH: 07:02
TEXT SITE - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101076361235&view=1up&seq=5
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:52 am UPLOADED TO - Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw
THE GOLDEN GOOSE - a short story - FABELS OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM READ IN HEBREW

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_goldengoose_brothersgrimm_ya_128kb.mp3
LENGTH: 07:02
TEXT SITE - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101076361235&view=1up&seq=5
Thank you, Yisrael! It's queued for PL. Please verify my attempt at Hebrew in the MW title:

אווז זהב [avaz zahav]

You've inspired me to learn Hebrew letters, and it's fun to recognize Semitic roots (it would be iwazza dhahabiya in Arabic), but I still don't know any Hebrew. :)

Could you also list some keywords for this one?

Michael