COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kitty wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:14 am [
wonderful first recording, Ruti :clap: and I really enjoy the story so far. You spoke clearly and not too fast, but still fluent and expressive enough, so it's neither boring nor hectic. :thumbs: Perfect for audiobook narrations. I'm already looking forward to hearing more.
Thank you very much Sonia! You always shower me with compliments!
Kitty wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:14 am
I do have a few minor corrections to suggest, but it's really not difficult to correct them. If you need a how-to, please let me know. As you know, there is no need to re-record ;)

Ok, but before I mention the errors, I have a bigger problem. Sorry if it wasn't mentioned before, but in this collection we always include FULL stories per section, not separate chapters. It should always be one finished story. As you can see, we have only 2 more slots left in the Magic Window, so we couldn't even include your full story in this collection if we had one section per chapter. Luckily the chapters are very short, so the 5 included in one file will not exceed our maximum length of 74 minutes.

So I have 3 options on how we could proceed here:

Option 1: you record the rest of the story, each time saying Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc and then you paste the entire audio together into one file. For that you don't have to re-record the first chapter, but the intro needs to be tweaked a little bit (see below).

Option 2: you will not post the story in our Multilingual project but you do the entire book as Solo. If you do that, you can in fact do one section per chapter, if you so wish, in fact I would do that as well if it was my solo.

Option 3: if a solo is too daunting for you as beginner (I can understand that, and I would also recommend starting in a group), I can offer this book as group project. Then you can still read your chosen story, each chapter has one section, and if it's too much work, there will be other Italian volunteers who will read the other stories.

Let me know which of the three you prefer :)
It was my intention practically to follow what you called option 1.
I only sent the first chapter as a test, to see how it went, to better set up the recordings of the other chapters.
So, let's go for Option 1!
Kitty wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:14 am

So...if you decide to have the story in this multilingual project, this is what we need to have corrected:

> from 0:02-0:05: "from i racconti meravigliosi" - this should get cut, because we only mention the title of the story and the author, not the title of the compilation where it's from. Also you could say the full intro in Italian, also "read in Italian by" (but this is optional)

> from 0:25-0:29: "i racconti meravigliosi di Egisto Roggerio, serie prima." - this can also get cut for the same reason. I would start with "Un caso difficile, capitolo primo" and then the story

> at 5:48: "fine del primo capitolo" - it should be the title of the story in our case, once you have merged all the chapters together

> at the end: we should leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence (you only have 2) could you add 3 more seconds please ?

Happy to have you on board now, and I'm waiting for your decision now before we move forward.

Sonia
Regarding corrections, if I understand correctly, I start the recording with the following text:
"Un Caso difficile di Egisto Roggero
Questa è una registrazione Librivox. Tutte le registrazioni di Librivox sono di dominio pubblico. Per ulteriori informazioni, o per sapere come diventare volontario, visitate il sito: librivox.org
Letto da Ruti Pape
Un Caso difficile - Capitolo primo" And then the story begins.

At the end of each chapter, I don't say anything (i.e. I don't say "end of chapter one"), but I leave a few seconds (how many?) and then say "capitolo secondo" and start the story again.

At the end of the whole story, I say:
"Fine de “Un Caso difficile” di Egisto Roggero.
Registrato da Ruti Pape, giugno 2021."
And then I leave 5" of silence.

Is this ok?
Kitty wrote: June 12th, 2021, 8:14 am > at 5:25: (p. 24) "Pietro Fournier era dunque banchiere" - if I'm not mistaken you say "ora" - but this is optional as I think the sentence doesn't change the meaning much, if at all
Yes, it is a mistake.
I will try to correct it. So I can practice a little bit with Audacity.

Thank you for all your help and all the time you use to follow me.

Ruti
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RutiPape wrote:Regarding corrections, if I understand correctly, I start the recording with the following text:
"Un Caso difficile di Egisto Roggero
Questa è una registrazione Librivox. Tutte le registrazioni di Librivox sono di dominio pubblico. Per ulteriori informazioni, o per sapere come diventare volontario, visitate il sito: librivox.org
Letto da Ruti Pape
Un Caso difficile - Capitolo primo" And then the story begins.
yes, exactly :thumbs: only "letto in Italiano da Ruti Pape"
At the end of each chapter, I don't say anything (i.e. I don't say "end of chapter one"), but I leave a few seconds (how many?) and then say "capitolo secondo" and start the story again.
yes, after the end of Chapter 1, you simply leave about 1 or 1.5 seconds of silence, then say Chapter 2 and continue. I always recommend never to exceed 2 seconds of silence anywhere, because for a listener anything longer than 2 seconds feels really dragging on :lol: 1-1.5 seconds is usually fully enough, even between paragraphs
At the end of the whole story, I say:
"Fine de “Un Caso difficile” di Egisto Roggero.
Registrato da Ruti Pape, giugno 2021."
And then I leave 5" of silence.
yes exactly and then 5 seconds of silence
Yes, it is a mistake.
I will try to correct it. So I can practice a little bit with Audacity.
spot editing is quite easy in Audacity. This is how I do it:
1. Record the correct sentence or part of the sentence in a new Audacity window
2. Noise-cleaning and amplifying a bit so the volume is a bit similar to the masterfile
3. Copy the sentence (highlight it and copy) and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile
4. Then listen again to the sentence before and after and maybe tweak the volume one final time so it's a bit similar

And yes...in the beginning your tone of voice may be a bit off compared to the rest of the text but with practice it gets better. I often listen to the sentence before I re-record and try to say it quite similar to the original. But "a bit off" is not as dramatic to a listener than the readers might think. It doesn't disturb the flow of the story so much, and is quickly forgotten. ;)

So...I'm looking forward to the entire story soon :) have fun

Sonia
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kitty wrote: June 14th, 2021, 12:26 am
spot editing is quite easy in Audacity. This is how I do it:
1. Record the correct sentence or part of the sentence in a new Audacity window
2. Noise-cleaning and amplifying a bit so the volume is a bit similar to the masterfile
3. Copy the sentence (highlight it and copy) and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile
4. Then listen again to the sentence before and after and maybe tweak the volume one final time so it's a bit similar

And yes...in the beginning your tone of voice may be a bit off compared to the rest of the text but with practice it gets better. I often listen to the sentence before I re-record and try to say it quite similar to the original. But "a bit off" is not as dramatic to a listener than the readers might think. It doesn't disturb the flow of the story so much, and is quickly forgotten. ;)

So...I'm looking forward to the entire story soon :) have fun

Sonia
Hi Sonia,
thank you for your help.
I will follow your instructions, both for the intro and outro and for the spot editing.

Now it will take a little more time before you will hear from me again. I have to read 4 chapters! and edit them a bit ;-)

Bye
Ruti

P.S. I wanted to answer you last evening, but the site wouldn't open.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RutiPape wrote: June 15th, 2021, 11:55 pmNow it will take a little more time before you will hear from me again. I have to read 4 chapters! and edit them a bit ;-)
P.S. I wanted to answer you last evening, but the site wouldn't open.
yes there was some works on the server I think.

And yes, take your time, because the entire story will be quite long to record and editing often takes 3-4 times as long. The maximum allowed length for a file is 74 minutes, but I'm sure you will not exceed that.

I can wait :)

Sonia
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kitty wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:20 am
yes there was some works on the server I think.
Ah ok, I understand.
Kitty wrote: June 16th, 2021, 12:20 am And yes, take your time, because the entire story will be quite long to record and editing often takes 3-4 times as long. The maximum allowed length for a file is 74 minutes, but I'm sure you will not exceed that.
Yes, I don't think that the whole story will exceed 74'
Til the next time

Ruti
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

Kazbek wrote: June 13th, 2021, 5:30 am
YisraelAdler wrote: June 13th, 2021, 4:42 am אווז זהב - GOLDEN GOOSE
TAGES - golden goose; brothers Grimm Fabels, victorious underdog, princess, good hearted, reward
Thanks, Yisrael!

Michael
My works in the MW were approved by PL - are they supposed to be in the catalog under my name?
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 20th, 2021, 5:44 am My works in the MW were approved by PL - are they supposed to be in the catalog under my name?
They will appear in the catalog when this volume of the multilingual collection is completed and cataloged. You can see all your contributions on your reader page, and your catalog name can be changed if you like:

https://librivox.org/reader/16288

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Removing YisraelAdler's contributions from the MW per his request.

Michael
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Another poem in Hebrew by Hayim Nahman Bialik (1873-1934).
Link to Author on Librivox: https://librivox.org/author/8204
Link to Author on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayim_Nahman_Bialik

Title: עַל הַשְּׁחִיטָה (Al HaShchita)
Text URL: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112070005555&view=1up&seq=247
Date of publication: 1908
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_alhashchita_bialik_gl_128kb.mp3
Duration(mm:ss) - 02:27
Keywords: Hebrew, poem, Kishinev, pogrom, murder, Jews

Thank you,
Guy
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Interesting! I just noticed a short story in Russian that was uploaded to this collection (#17 - Istoriya moiei golubyatni) is a short story by Isaac Babel written about the effects of the Kiev pogrom of 1905, which resulted in a massacre of approximately 100 Jews.
Meanwhile, the Hebrew poem I just uploaded by Hayim Nahman Bialik was written about the Kishinev pogrom of 1903, which resulted in the death of 49 Jews.
What a coincidence!
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:22 pm Interesting! I just noticed a short story in Russian that was uploaded to this collection (#17 - Istoriya moiei golubyatni) is a short story by Isaac Babel written about the effects of the Kiev pogrom of 1905, which resulted in a massacre of approximately 100 Jews.
Meanwhile, the Hebrew poem I just uploaded by Hayim Nahman Bialik was written about the Kishinev pogrom of 1903, which resulted in the death of 49 Jews.
What a coincidence!
Thank you, Guy!

I believe Babel described a pogrom in the city of Mykolaiv, which was part of the same wave of pogroms that occurred in late 1905, but this is indeed a remarkable coincidence. :shock:

Do you have a plan for PL?

Michael
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

jazzman wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:22 pm Interesting! I just noticed a short story in Russian that was uploaded to this collection (#17 - Istoriya moiei golubyatni) is a short story by Isaac Babel written about the effects of the Kiev pogrom of 1905, which resulted in a massacre of approximately 100 Jews.
What a coincidence!
Hi Jazzman! I've decided to find smth about pogroms of 1905 because I'm currently reading Tevye the Milkman by Shalom Aleichem translated into Ukrainian in 2017. This translation includes a chapter about pogrom in Kiev that is claimed to have been always omitted by editors before. I love the story and the style, but couldn't find translation into Eng, Rus or Ukr published before late 1930s, while the original Yiddish version is PD. So Isaak Babel came to my mind. Istoriya moiei golubyatni was new for me, but I'm happy that it's read out loud now)
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Kazbek wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:47 pm
What a coincidence!
Thank you, Guy!

I believe Babel described a pogrom in the city of Mykolaiv, which was part of the same wave of pogroms that occurred in late 1905, but this is indeed a remarkable coincidence. :shock:

Do you have a plan for PL?

Michael
Hi Michael,

I could check in with GrownupDaria, but she might take a while to answer. If you know of any other Hebrew PLs, feel free to reach out to them :)
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:40 pm Hi Michael,

I could check in with GrownupDaria, but she might take a while to answer. If you know of any other Hebrew PLs, feel free to reach out to them :)
We're not in a hurry for PL (a section can always be advanced into the next volume of the collection, if it would significantly delay cataloging), but we could check if Stav (miss stav) is interested. I'll send her a PM.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

jazzman wrote: June 29th, 2021, 6:40 pm I could check in with GrownupDaria, but she might take a while to answer. If you know of any other Hebrew PLs, feel free to reach out to them :)
Kazbek wrote: June 29th, 2021, 7:46 pm We're not in a hurry for PL (a section can always be advanced into the next volume of the collection, if it would significantly delay cataloging), but we could check if Stav (miss stav) is interested. I'll send her a PM.
Stav doesn't have the time to take on new PL work, so you could check with Daria.

Thanks,
Michael