COMPLETE Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kitty wrote: June 7th, 2021, 11:57 pm
those two books are a wonderful find !!! :thumbs: Can't wait to listen to one of your stories.
Is there the possibility that someone else has already read these stories, with the risk of producing duplicates?
you can search our database for the author https://librivox.org/ (in the search box upper right corner). I just checked for Rizzatti and Roggero and there are no stories by them yet.

But ! even if they had been read already, we accept double or triple versions of the same text. Search for Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for example and you'll see how many versions there are already. :mrgreen: So if you want to read a second version, you would be welcome to do it.
When I read, can I pause? How do I do it in Audacity: do I press the "pause" button (2 black rectangles) or the "stop" button (black square)?
What about long pauses? I mean, resume the next day?
yes, luckily we can pause in a recording, otherwise I would never get anything done. I cannot read for more than 10 minutes without my voice hurting. :? It depends on how long the break is. If I only drink a bit of water, then I let the recording run on, because it can easily get edited out in the end. If I really stop for the day, I make a full stop and save the file under a preliminary name. Then the next day, I open another blank file and continue the recording. In the end I copy/paste all the different sessions together.

The only problem with multiple recording sessions is that your voice may sound a bit different, louder maybe, and the sound/background noise in the room may have changed from morning sessions to night sessions. So cleaning up the background noise and amplifying to a similar volume may be more tricky from day to day. But other than that, there is no reason why you couldn't make breaks in the recording. Just always remember to save your work regularly, I know from experience how frustrating it is to lose a file and having to redo the whole thing. :?

Sonia
Hello Sonia,
so, this is me again.

Thank you for all your tips, they were very helpful :clap:

I finished the first chapter of 5 of a story from this book:

https://archive.org/details/RoggeroRaccontiMeravigliosi/page/n7/mode/1up
(it is the second one, "Un caso difficile".

I checked the file with the app and it passed the control.

I load it up:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_casodifficile_roggero_rp_128kb.mp3
The track lenght is 00:05:51,69

I don't know who will be the prooflistener (you?), but it might be useful, before continuing, to get feedback on the first piece, so as to better set up the continuation.

Thank you very much
Ruti
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RutiPape wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:29 am I finished the first chapter of 5 of a story from this book:
Hi Ruti,

Thanks for your contribution! I've entered the information into the Magic Window and Sonia will PL your recording. Could you give us a few keywords that describe this story? They will help listeners find your recording using a search engine.

Also, since this is the first time you'll be assigned a section, let us know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Michael
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

Kazbek wrote: June 8th, 2021, 4:57 am
jazzman wrote: June 7th, 2021, 9:41 pm Hi,

Listened to "The Emperor's New Clothes" (בגדי המלך החדשים). I really enjoyed the storytelling voice :)

Here are my PL notes:
YisraelAdler wrote: June 7th, 2021, 10:43 pm THANK YOU
CORRECTED NEEDED CORRECTIONS -- UPLOADED
Thanks, MW updated!

Michael
Did a spot PL on the new file. Can confirm all notes were fixed in the new file :thumbs:
jazzman

Post by jazzman »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:52 am UPLOADED TO - Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw
THE GOLDEN GOOSE - a short story - FABELS OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM READ IN HEBREW

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_goldengoose_brothersgrimm_ya_128kb.mp3
LENGTH: 07:02
TEXT SITE - https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101076361235&view=1up&seq=5
Listened to "The Golden Goose". Nice and clear reading of the fabel :)
The only general comment I have about the recording, is that it feels quite rushed. There are no pauses between sentences or paragraphs, and therefore it seems to all flow like one long sentence :lol:
Not sure if this is an official part of the PL process, but I would recommend adding a few pauses - at least between paragraphs of the text.
Yisrael, keep up the great work! :thumbs:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 11th, 2021, 6:52 am UPLOADED TO - Multilingual Short Works Collection 029 - thw
jazzman wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:55 pm Listened to "The Golden Goose". Nice and clear reading of the fabel :)
The only general comment I have about the recording, is that it feels quite rushed. There are no pauses between sentences or paragraphs, and therefore it seems to all flow like one long sentence :lol:
Not sure if this is an official part of the PL process, but I would recommend adding a few pauses - at least between paragraphs of the text.
Yisrael, keep up the great work! :thumbs:
Thanks for PLing, Guy! Questions of pacing are generally not included in PL notes (except very long pauses), unless the reader asks for constructive criticism. However, you already have some experience working with Yisrael, so perhaps you have an idea of what he's looking for in PL notes.

Yisrael, it's entirely your choice whether you want to change anything in this recording or leave it as is.

Michael
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

Dear Michael and Guy
I will totally take it to my heart - I know where it came from. This is what - I guess part of my learning curve - over editing in AUDACITY
JUST for this time I will leave it be. For future recordings I will totally act upon Guy's constructive criticism!
Thank you ALL
Yisrael
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kazbek wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:57 am
RutiPape wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:29 am I finished the first chapter of 5 of a story from this book:
Hi Ruti,

Thanks for your contribution! I've entered the information into the Magic Window and Sonia will PL your recording. Could you give us a few keywords that describe this story? They will help listeners find your recording using a search engine.

Also, since this is the first time you'll be assigned a section, let us know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Michael
Hi Michael,

this could be keywords of the story:
Amnesia; amnesia retrograda; malattie neurologiche; perdita identità; identità multiple; Londra.

Or in English:
Amnesia; retrograde amnesia; neurological diseases; identity loss; multiple identities; London.

About the name that I like to be credited in the catalog, that is this: Ruti Pape.
I don't have a personal website or blog. So, it's ok.

Bye,
Ruti
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 11th, 2021, 10:42 pm Dear Michael and Guy
I will totally take it to my heart - I know where it came from. This is what - I guess part of my learning curve - over editing in AUDACITY
JUST for this time I will leave it be. For future recordings I will totally act upon Guy's constructive criticism!
Thank you ALL
Yisrael
Great, I've marked it PL OK. This is a very common experience at LibriVox. Most of us have had to -- or still have to -- pay special attention not to make the pauses between sentences too short.

Yisrael, have you seen two minor questions I asked earlier?

viewtopic.php?p=1910891#p1910891

Thanks,
Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

RutiPape wrote: June 12th, 2021, 1:36 am About the name that I like to be credited in the catalog, that is this: Ruti Pape.
Thanks, Ruti! I've added the keywords to the Magic Window and here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/16331

Michael
RutiPape

Post by RutiPape »

Kazbek wrote: June 12th, 2021, 6:01 am
RutiPape wrote: June 12th, 2021, 1:36 am About the name that I like to be credited in the catalog, that is this: Ruti Pape.
Thanks, Ruti! I've added the keywords to the Magic Window and here's your reader page:

https://librivox.org/reader/16331

Michael
Great!!!

How exciting :lol:

Ruti
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RutiPape wrote: June 11th, 2021, 9:29 amI finished the first chapter of 5 of a story from this book:
https://archive.org/details/RoggeroRaccontiMeravigliosi/page/n7/mode/1up
(it is the second one, "Un caso difficile".
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw029_casodifficile_roggero_rp_128kb.mp3
The track lenght is 00:05:51,69

I don't know who will be the prooflistener (you?), but it might be useful, before continuing, to get feedback on the first piece, so as to better set up the continuation.
wonderful first recording, Ruti :clap: and I really enjoy the story so far. You spoke clearly and not too fast, but still fluent and expressive enough, so it's neither boring nor hectic. :thumbs: Perfect for audiobook narrations. I'm already looking forward to hearing more.

I do have a few minor corrections to suggest, but it's really not difficult to correct them. If you need a how-to, please let me know. As you know, there is no need to re-record ;)

Ok, but before I mention the errors, I have a bigger problem. Sorry if it wasn't mentioned before, but in this collection we always include FULL stories per section, not separate chapters. It should always be one finished story. As you can see, we have only 2 more slots left in the Magic Window, so we couldn't even include your full story in this collection if we had one section per chapter. Luckily the chapters are very short, so the 5 included in one file will not exceed our maximum length of 74 minutes.

So I have 3 options on how we could proceed here:

Option 1: you record the rest of the story, each time saying Chapter 2, Chapter 3, etc and then you paste the entire audio together into one file. For that you don't have to re-record the first chapter, but the intro needs to be tweaked a little bit (see below).

Option 2: you will not post the story in our Multilingual project but you do the entire book as Solo. If you do that, you can in fact do one section per chapter, if you so wish, in fact I would do that as well if it was my solo.

Option 3: if a solo is too daunting for you as beginner (I can understand that, and I would also recommend starting in a group), I can offer this book as group project. Then you can still read your chosen story, each chapter has one section, and if it's too much work, there will be other Italian volunteers who will read the other stories.

Let me know which of the three you prefer :)

So...if you decide to have the story in this multilingual project, this is what we need to have corrected:

> from 0:02-0:05: "from i racconti meravigliosi" - this should get cut, because we only mention the title of the story and the author, not the title of the compilation where it's from. Also you could say the full intro in Italian, also "read in Italian by" (but this is optional)

> from 0:25-0:29: "i racconti meravigliosi di Egisto Roggerio, serie prima." - this can also get cut for the same reason. I would start with "Un caso difficile, capitolo primo" and then the story

> at 5:25: (p. 24) "Pietro Fournier era dunque banchiere" - if I'm not mistaken you say "ora" - but this is optional as I think the sentence doesn't change the meaning much, if at all

> at 5:48: "fine del primo capitolo" - it should be the title of the story in our case, once you have merged all the chapters together

> at the end: we should leave a standard of 5 seconds of silence (you only have 2) could you add 3 more seconds please ?

Happy to have you on board now, and I'm waiting for your decision now before we move forward.

Sonia
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

Michael

Sorry I am responding late - but אווז זהב [avaz zahav] is absolutley correct - Since I didn't have to open a project here
I had no idea how to insert keywords for this one - Can you please help?
thanks
Yisrael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 12th, 2021, 11:49 am Since I didn't have to open a project here
I had no idea how to insert keywords for this one - Can you please help?
In this multilingual collection, readers list a few keywords they want to use together with other information about their recording, and we insert them into right place. So, you can just post them in this thread.

Thanks,
Michael
YisraelAdler

Post by YisraelAdler »

אווז זהב - GOLDEN GOOSE
TAGES - golden goose; brothers Grimm Fabels, victorious underdog, princess, good hearted, reward
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

YisraelAdler wrote: June 13th, 2021, 4:42 am אווז זהב - GOLDEN GOOSE
TAGES - golden goose; brothers Grimm Fabels, victorious underdog, princess, good hearted, reward
Thanks, Yisrael!

Michael