[FULL][GROUP]Multilingual Short Works Collection 026 - Poetry & Prose by Various - thw

Deutsche Projekte, Nederlandstalige Projecten, Proyectos en español, projets en français, Projekty po polsku, 日本語のプロジェクト
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune » October 8th, 2020, 5:26 am

Kitty wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am

在酒楼上
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw026_tavern_lu_jin_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 23:49 min.
Reader: jing
Hello! I'll be glad to PL section 3. I'm quite caught up with work at the moment, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to help with the two others.

Kitty wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am

To update the MW, here are the details. I don't know an "alphabetical" order for Chinese, so I let you decide for that Michael ;) The same for the transcription. Maybe our DPL can help.
Incidentally, these 3 sections are already in "alphabetical" order based on Hanyu Pinyin. Hope this helps!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2020, 5:33 am

YuqingJune wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:26 am
Hello! I'll be glad to PL section 3. I'm quite caught up with work at the moment, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to help with the two others.
thank you, Yuqing, that would be tremendous help already :9:

I'll mark you down in the MW so others know what has been taken and the work won't be done double.
Incidentally, these 3 sections are already in "alphabetical" order based on Hanyu Pinyin. Hope this helps!
yes, thanks, good to know 8-)

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » October 8th, 2020, 5:40 am

blazeiro wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:42 am
Luckily, there are no discrepancies between my recording and the PD version. Sorry for the trouble :)

Title: Śmierć Pułkownika
Author: Adam Mickiewicz (1798-1855)
Language: Polish
Publication date: 1836
PD publication date: 1920
Poem URL: https://polona.pl/item/smierc-pulkownika,ODk3NTYwODU/2/#info:metadata
Author's Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Mickiewicz

Recording URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/msw026_smiercpulkownika_mickiewicz_br_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:56
Thanks for verifying! Since this looks like your first contribution, let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Also, please give us a few keywords that describe this poem.

Thank you, Piotrek, for finding the source!

Michael

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2020, 5:52 am

blazeiro wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 2:42 am
Luckily, there are no discrepancies between my recording and the PD version. Sorry for the trouble :)
actually I found 2 or 3 small discrepancies, but I'm not sure how important they were.

But in any case, the text that Piotr gave us unfortunately doesn't have an official date on the scan :( but luckily we found another scan on archive, which has the date as 1887, so this is clearly PD. And the good news is that this text is totally the same than the one you were recording. :thumbs:

Michael, I'll change the text source to this one: https://archive.org/details/pisma02mickgoog/page/n201/mode/2up

So, congrats to your first official PL ok :) nice clear recording, and I think I even understood a few things, because some words are similar to Russian.

Thank you

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2020, 5:58 am

Kazbek wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:40 am
let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog.
Michael, once the one-minute-test is ok, you can simply open reader pages with the forum name. If they need to be changed later on, then it's easily done by an admin. :)

Sonia

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » October 8th, 2020, 6:01 am

Kitty wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:52 am
But in any case, the text that Piotr gave us unfortunately doesn't have an official date on the scan :( but luckily we found another scan on archive, which has the date as 1887, so this is clearly PD. And the good news is that this text is totally the same than the one you were recording. :thumbs:
Since the text doesn't have any discrepancies, it's even better, but for the future, I think we should consider the status of Polona, and in particular whether we can use its metadata (the right pane) to verify PD status. I'm not sure about the official status, but it's something like the primary digital repository of the National Library of Poland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polona

I would it's one of the websites whose metadata we can trust when there's no publication year in the scan.

Michael

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2020, 6:03 am

Kazbek wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 6:01 am
Since the text doesn't have any discrepancies, it's even better, but for the future, I think we should consider the status of Polona, and in particular whether we can use its metadata (the right pane) to verify PD status. I'm not sure about the official status, but it's something like the primary digital repository of the National Library of Poland:
yes but I feel safer if the date is actually on the scan. Even if Polona is official, the metadata is checked and input by human beings, and everybody can make mistakes. So to be on the safe-side, if we find the text on a scan with a date, it's best.

Sonia

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » October 8th, 2020, 6:15 am

Kitty wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 5:58 am
Michael, once the one-minute-test is ok, you can simply open reader pages with the forum name. If they need to be changed later on, then it's easily done by an admin. :)
I think it's nice when I can give a reader a link to their catalog page with the selected name without waiting for an admin to change it, but since we have admins watching this thread closely, I'll create one right away. :)

Michael

Liber

Post by Liber » October 8th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Kitty wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 4:40 am
haha you sound quite lamenting here, Liber, it's quite a dramatic performance. I can see you wringing your hands against heaven :lol:

Well done, and totally PL ok. Thank you for another interesting find.

Sonia
Thank you! :D

When I read it, my immediate mental association went first to Francesco Guccini's "Gli amici" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUCDmsiQgvo&ab_channel=MatteoGiusti ), and then to his "L'avvelenata" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXwZrlGxaXc ), or to Francesco De Gregori's "Vecchi amici" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKey0mRF30w ). Must have been a looong tradition…

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » October 8th, 2020, 5:09 pm

I'll PL section 2 in the coming days.

Michael

Kazbek

Post by Kazbek » October 8th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I started with a semi-automated comparison of the two sources for section 2: the non-PD source used for the reading and PG. They are basically the same, except for a number of occurrences of the character 著/着, which is added to a verb to mark an action in progress. In some cases, the PG version omits this character (e.g., the other version reads "都在准备“祝福”" and the PG version reads "都在准備“祝福”"). In other cases, in the PG version it's replaced with the non-character  (not to be confused with the character 口). Let me stop here and ask whether these differences in themselves are acceptable.

The following is speculative, but I doubt these differences reflect two different edited publications. Rather, they seem to reflect a lapse in quality control on the part of PG. The stories ended up in their catalog barely 80 years after their first publication, and someone probably took a non-PD online version in simplified characters, converted it to traditional characters, resulting in some conversion accidents for the progressive marker, which has alternate forms, and then deleted some of the non-characters and left some of them in the text.

Michael

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 8th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Kazbek wrote:
October 8th, 2020, 8:38 pm
Let me stop here and ask whether these differences in themselves are acceptable.
oh I am not qualified to give an answer to this :hmm: maybe Yuqing can enlighten us. If it's just a small word that's omitted, I guess it's not that important. And you are right, it's probably due to transcription errors on Gutenberg's side.

Maybe wait another few days for Yuqing's answer before you PL further.

Thanks for this tremendous help !

Sonia

invisibleCat

Post by invisibleCat » October 9th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Hello~I'm new here. I saw that this collection is full, which I assume means that you are not accepting more recordings. Will there be a thread for collection 027 soon?

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 10th, 2020, 12:59 am

invisibleCat wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:30 pm
Hello~I'm new here. I saw that this collection is full, which I assume means that you are not accepting more recordings. Will there be a thread for collection 027 soon?
hello and a warm welcome to Librivox :) Great to hear new voices again, and yes, there will definitely be a new multilingual project set up, in fact it might happen this weekend or next week already. We only need to correct some of these recordings and then this one will be catalogued.

I see you already passed your test :thumbs: so you can start recording. For most of the projects you will see the link to the text you have to read from in the first post. This project is an open-choice project however, so it means you get to choose your own text. What language would you want to record in ? The main problem often is finding the right source, it has to be in the public domain, that means published before 1924, and depending what country you live in, the author has to be dead for some time already, often 70 years, varying from country to country though.

So it's best to first post the link to the text you want to read from here or in the next project and let us have a look at it and check whether it's safe to read from in. Not all online sites are very reliable. A good start would be gutenberg.org or archive.org. They have lots of text and are easy to check whether they are public domain.

Any more questions, you can ask here, since the thread is not closed yet :)

Sonia

invisibleCat

Post by invisibleCat » October 10th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Kitty wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 12:59 am
invisibleCat wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 8:30 pm
hello and a warm welcome to Librivox :) Great to hear new voices again, and yes, there will definitely be a new multilingual project set up, in fact it might happen this weekend or next week already. We only need to correct some of these recordings and then this one will be catalogued.

I see you already passed your test :thumbs: so you can start recording. For most of the projects you will see the link to the text you have to read from in the first post. This project is an open-choice project however, so it means you get to choose your own text. What language would you want to record in ? The main problem often is finding the right source, it has to be in the public domain, that means published before 1924, and depending what country you live in, the author has to be dead for some time already, often 70 years, varying from country to country though.

So it's best to first post the link to the text you want to read from here or in the next project and let us have a look at it and check whether it's safe to read from in. Not all online sites are very reliable. A good start would be gutenberg.org or archive.org. They have lots of text and are easy to check whether they are public domain.

Any more questions, you can ask here, since the thread is not closed yet :)

Sonia
Thanks so much Sonia! I'm interested in recording in Chinese :)