[ARABIC] كليلة ودمنة (Kalila wa dimna) - annise

Deutsche Projekte, Nederlandstalige Projecten, Proyectos en español, projets en français, Projekty po polsku, 日本語のプロジェクト
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

كليلة ودمنة (Kalila wa dimna) by Abdullah Ibn al-Muqaffaʿ (died c. 756/759).

[Someone please contribute an Arabic description]

An ancient collection of animal fables, considered to be the first masterpiece of Arabic literary prose. The fables, which are of Indian origin, are known as Panchatantra in their Sanskrit form. They were translated into Arabic from a Middle Persian version circa 750 CE by ʿAbdullah Ibn al-Muqaffaʿ under the title Kalila wa dimna. His text became a prominent example of the genre of "Mirrors for princes" in the Islamic world. It also played a pivotal role in world literature, serving as a conduit for transmission of the fables throughout the Middle East and Europe in various translations. (Wikipedia & Kazbek)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/kalilahetdimna00bdpc/page/n4/mode/1up
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: Xh7xVmxS

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Abdullah Ibn al-Muqaffaʿ) : https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/عبد_الله_بن_المقفع
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/كليلة_ودمنة
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 25
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known): c. 750
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: Nature & Animal Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: Indian literature, Arabic literature, animal fables, mirrors for princes

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "الفصل ال [رقم] من كليلة ودمنة. هذا التسجيل خاص بليبريفوكس، جميع تسجيلات ليبريفوكس في المجال العام، لمزيد من المعلومات او للمشاركة زوروا الموقع ليبريفوكس دوت اورج "
    • مثال لرقم الفصل :
      "الفصل الاول , الثانى , الثالث , وهكذا "
    • (Note: you can say "نقطة" instead of "دوت", if you prefer)
    • If you wish, say: " [قام بالتسجيل [اسمك], [مدينتك,, مدونتك , صفحتك"
    • Say:
      "كليلة ودمنة لعبد الله بن المقفع"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      " [نهاية الفصل ال [رقم"
    • If you wish, say:
      " [قام بالتسجيل [اسمك], [مدينتك, مدونتك , صفحتك "
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "نهاية كتاب كليلة ودمنة لعبد الله بن المقفع"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    kalilawadimna_##_ibnalmuqaffa_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. kalilawadimna_01_ibnalmuqaffa_128kb.mp3 )

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Kazbek on December 24th, 2020, 4:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I borrowed the intro/outro format from a completed project:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52351

Please let me know if there are any problems in the template.

My knowledge of Arabic is passive, so I'll let someone else write a book description in Arabic. The last 20 pages of the text are out of order in the PDF, but this edition (hat tip SaraHale) seems to be the best available for our purposes. I'll try to figure out how to create PDF files with selected rearranged pages and provide links for the affected sections.

Michael
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kazbek wrote: April 25th, 2020, 1:37 pm My knowledge of Arabic is passive, so I'll let someone else write a book description in Arabic. The last 20 pages of the text are out of order in the PDF, but this edition (hat tip SaraHale) seems to be the best available for our purposes. I'll try to figure out how to create PDF files with selected rearranged pages and provide links for the affected sections.

Michael
Hey, Michael.

I'd like to be the DPL for this project. I'll try to write an Arabic description of the book.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SaraHale wrote: April 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm Hey, Michael.

I'd like to be the DPL for this project. I'll try to write an Arabic description of the book.
Perfect! Thank you, Sara. :D

Michael
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm thinking of accepting the challenge of MCing this without even being able to read or understand Arabic although I do wonder where you are going to obtain readers, It seems to me you will need to attract new readers so it would be up to one of you to help newbies who are not confident with instructions which may only be available in another language as I would not be able to help?

Is one of you confident about that?

Anne
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

annise wrote: April 25th, 2020, 7:56 pm I'm thinking of accepting the challenge of MCing this without even being able to read or understand Arabic although I do wonder where you are going to obtain readers, It seems to me you will need to attract new readers so it would be up to one of you to help newbies who are not confident with instructions which may only be available in another language as I would not be able to help?

Is one of you confident about that?

Anne
Hi Anne,

I started this project in part because I'm seeing Arabic speakers join LV from time to time, and having a collaborative project in Arabic should attract more. I think most readers who join LV have at least a working knowledge of English. If it's someone from Francophone countries, I'm fluent in French. If it turns out that we need to communicate with someone in Arabic, I can do that to some extent and ask Sara for help. I'm not sure we'll have occasion for that. The discussion in the completed Arabic project was entirely in English.

Michael
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Yes that is why I am thinking of MCing it - but it's no use attracting readers if you can't help them get started. OK I'll set it up.

Anne
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kazbek wrote: April 25th, 2020, 7:11 pm Perfect! Thank you, Sara. :D

Michael
You're most welcome. :D
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

annise wrote: April 25th, 2020, 10:32 pm Yes that is why I am thinking of MCing it - but it's no use attracting readers if you can't help them get started. OK I'll set it up.

Anne
Hello Anne,

My plan is to direct new readers to watch Phil's YouTube videos.

If they want Arabic tutorials I can use Loom.

For PL notes, I use https://vocaroo.com/.

I do prefer the communication within the project to be in English because I don't like anyone to feel left out.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

annise wrote: April 25th, 2020, 10:32 pm Yes that is why I am thinking of MCing it - but it's no use attracting readers if you can't help them get started. OK I'll set it up.
Thank you! :) The MW is filled out for now. Could you delete the last row?

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I skipped the two publisher's prefaces. The main text seems to start with the third introduction. It includes a traditional invocation and the section after that opens with اما بعد.

Sara, please let me know if you see any typos in the MW.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

I've created section PDFs with correct page order for the last 6 sections. Can someone verify that they are publicly accessible through the links in the MW?

Michael
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kazbek wrote: April 26th, 2020, 9:17 am I've created section PDFs with correct page order for the last 6 sections. Can someone verify that they are publicly accessible through the links in the MW?

Michael
Hey, Michael.

I apologize for the late start. I'll do my best to finish my tasks.

I've checked the first link in an incognito window and I was able to read the pages. :thumbs:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SaraHale wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Hey, Michael.

I apologize for the late start. I'll do my best to finish my tasks.

I've checked the first link in an incognito window and I was able to read the pages. :thumbs:
Thanks, Sara! No rush. I don't think we're in imminent danger of this project being completed any time soon. :mrgreen:

By the way, if you ever decide to read some sections, I'd be happy to PL them for you.

Michael
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kazbek wrote: April 26th, 2020, 12:44 pm Thanks, Sara! No rush. I don't think we're in imminent danger of this project being completed any time soon. :mrgreen:

By the way, if you ever decide to read some sections, I'd be happy to PL them for you.

Michael
You're welcome. Yeah :mrgreen: But we will hope for the best.

:hmm: I won't make any promises. But thanks for willing to PL my Arabic. :D