[COMPLETE] Is War Diminishing? - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
niobium

Post by niobium »

Is War Diminishing?, by Frederick Adams Woods (1873 - 1939)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/is-war-diminishing-by-frederick-adams-woods/

A study In the prevalence of war in Europe from 1400 to the present day. This small book summarises historical periods of peace compared to periods of war, as concluded by consultation with other historians, and seeks to answer the question as to if the incidence and duration of periods of national conflict were becoming more intense or not, and how the periods of war may correlate to other social trends. (Summary by leon harvey)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/iswardiminishing00wood/mode/2up

Target completion date: 2021-01-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: kTDn3tpe
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 12
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1915
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? leon harvey
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: leon harvey
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/History

Keywords that describe the book: historiometry, international conflict

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Is War Diminishing?. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Is War Diminishing?, by Frederick Adams Woods. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Is War Diminishing?, by Frederick Adams Woods. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Is War Diminishing?, by Frederick Adams Woods."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: iswardiminishing_##_woods_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. iswardiminishing_01_woods_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready for you! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

This sounds as an interesting project! I'd love to DPL if you're okay with it :9:

Cheers!
--
Ana :mrgreen:

salus populi suprema lex
niobium

Post by niobium »

this is only a short book of 100 rather short pages. Should be able to get it done over breakfast easily enough
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

AnaNaumoska wrote: August 15th, 2021, 5:30 am This sounds as an interesting project! I'd love to DPL if you're okay with it :9:

Cheers!
--

You now have access to the MW, Ana. Thank you!

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
niobium

Post by niobium »

I just realised i made a mistake with the authors. There should also be included a co-author Alexander Baltzly who assisted with the work, even though woods is the solitary owner of the copyright
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

icequeen wrote: August 15th, 2021, 10:42 am
AnaNaumoska wrote: August 15th, 2021, 5:30 am This sounds as an interesting project! I'd love to DPL if you're okay with it :9:

Cheers!
--

You now have access to the MW, Ana. Thank you!

Off we go to Going Solo!
niobium wrote: August 15th, 2021, 5:47 am this is only a short book of 100 rather short pages. Should be able to get it done over breakfast easily enough
Thank you both! I'm looking forward to it!

salus populi suprema lex
niobium

Post by niobium »

I just need to add a new section to the top of the list as 00. it should be the preface
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

niobium wrote: September 5th, 2021, 2:57 am I just need to add a new section to the top of the list as 00. it should be the preface
Section 1 is now section 0. Do you need an extra section as well?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Leon, I see you've uploaded the first 3 sections.
I PLed section 00: excellent pace! I found no issues, so PL ok! The book looks very promising, I can't wait to dwell further in.

Even though I found no issues, I will post 5 optional notes, in case you want to perfect it. As I said, the recording is good as it is already.

>>4:44: a slight stumble at "Handbuchfiir Heer und Flotte, by G. von Alten.."
>>6:40: The pronunciation of "Histoire de V Autriche-Hon- grie, depuis les origines jusqua Vannee 1889" should sound a bit different in French. If you wish to amend it, I can send it in pronounced as an audio file.
>>~8:40: The Russian books "Istoria gosudarstva rossiiskavo" (this one has a typo tho, should be "gosPodarstva", must be a printing error) and "Istoria Rossii" should be pronounced with a U in "rossiskavo" and "rossii".
>>9:10: "Historia de Espana y de la civilizacion eS panola" here, the H of Historia should be silent, and the ñ is pronounced as is "new".
>>When we have French vocabulary, a few things to be mentioned is that in "de" and "de la" we only pronounce the letter D, and in Histoire the H is silent.

Anyway, great job with sooooo many languages! :clap:
If you need help with French or any Slavic languages throughout the book, I'd be happy to send in audio files with pronunciations, as I'm fluent in them.

I'll listen to 01 tomorrow.
Cheers!
--

salus populi suprema lex
niobium

Post by niobium »

thankyou for the advice. It is a challenge to get foreign words mastered when only seeing them for the first time. any help would be much appreciated
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

niobium wrote: September 7th, 2021, 5:36 pm thankyou for the advice. It is a challenge to get foreign words mastered when only seeing them for the first time. any help would be much appreciated
Of course! Do you want me to send an audio file for the parts in this section?

salus populi suprema lex
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Good job with section 1! Very long and quite informative. I must say the book is very ahead of its time. Woods managed to somehow predict the role of modern day international organizations such as the United nations in the realm of war. :)

One note only:
>> 17:11 : The text says "Switzerland" and I hear "Sweden" (In fact, the neutralization of such countries as Belgium or Switzerland are a present application to war the very principle of geographical delimitation which proved effective in dealing with slavery).

Since it's a factographic information, I believe we should correct it. Please send the amended version when ready :)

Cheers!
--

salus populi suprema lex
AnaNaumoska

Post by AnaNaumoska »

Leon, section 2 is PL OK! Great work. I can't wait for the Austria-Hungary one. :clap:

Ana--

salus populi suprema lex