[COMPLETE] Scandinavian Fairy Tales - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TwoStepsBack

Post by TwoStepsBack »

I would like to claim a spot for "Kvitebjørn kong Valemon" (Asbjørnsen & Moe), read from Runeberg's pages. :)
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome to LibriVox and this project! I'd love you to read Kvitebjorn kong Valemon :) However, before you go ahead and do so, please do a 1 minute test. It is just a short test of technical settings, not an audition. The link should be in your welcome mail, or right here ;)

What name would you like to appear under in the LibriVox catalogue? You can use your forum name, your real name, or something else. I can also make a link from the catalogue to a webpage if you have a blog or something like that.

ETA:
When you get around to recording Kvitebjorn, could you please read from this version? Unfortunately, the collection on Runeberg where Kvitebjorn appears, seems to be a very early addition to the page, and not really Public Domain (sorry about that). The good thing is that this link definitely is Public Domain, and doesnt't even have Gothic letters ;) Kvitebjorn starts on page 134.
Kathrine
TwoStepsBack

Post by TwoStepsBack »

Thank you! Here is the 1-Minute test :)
I would like my real name to appear, Noah Jensen. Do you want the text read exactly as it's written (tipping towards Danish) or more "modern"? Some words are slightly different to the ones used today. There's no problem reading them though, I just thought it would be all right to ask how you wanted it :)

Edit: Would just like to add, sorry if something is done wrong in any way (uploadings especially)! It's all pretty new to me, so trials and errors are more or less needed for me to learn all this.
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you Noah! Could you please post the test in this thread? The LibriVoxers who listen to 1 minute tests (I am not one of them) have a lot of experience with explaining technical stuff :)

Although it is not necessary to claim a section here in this project before you submit it, I will sign you up when I get home (for some reason this computer won't let me do it). Here is your reader's page in the catalog. You can use it to keep track of sections you have signed up for etc.

As for reading and pronunciation: We are not allowed for instance to substitute old words for new ones; Librivox asks us to read the words on the page. But as for words like "dag og nat" - I mean, one would say "dag og natt."
Kathrine
Fowlnuke

Post by Fowlnuke »

Hello :)
I would like to read Fyrtøjet by H.C. Andersen in danish from the book "Eventyr, fortalte for Børn" by H.C. Andersen (1835).
http://runeberg.org/hcaeventyr/0015.html
I am completely new to recording, but I have finished the 1-minute test.

I am unsure of precicely what to say at the beginning of the recording though.
I found the danish version of the Librivox disclaimer here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/LibriVox_disclaimer#Danish
And it says:
VED PAABEGYNDELSE AF INDSPILNING
"[Kapitel] af [bogtitel]. Dette er en LibriVox indspilning. Alle LibriVox indspilninger er offentlig ejendom. For yderligere information, eller for at melde dig som frivillig, besøg librivox.org"
Hvis du vil, sig:
"Denne oplaesning af [dit navn]"
Sig:
"[Bogtitel] af [forfatter]. [kapitel]"
But the book isn't built up by chapters. It is just many small individual stories.
Should i instead say something like:
"Fyrtøjet fra Eventyr, fortalte for Børn. Dette er en...
[...]
Eventyr, fortalte for børn af H.C. Andersen. Fyrtøjet.
By they way I would like my real name "Andreas Søholm" to appear. Thanks.
I think this will be fun :)
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Oh, great! :clap: :clap: Yes, please read this story :D

For the intro, please do
""Fyrtøjet fra Eventyr, fortalte for Børn, av H.C. Andersen, lest på dansk [av ditt navn, om du vil]. Dette er en... Fyrtøjet."
And then start reading the story.

At the end, please say
"Slutten av (eller noe som er bedre på dansk) Fyrtøjet av H.C. Andersen."
Does that make sense? :D Please ask again if you have more questions

ETA:
This is your readers page, by the way https://librivox.org/reader/11903. You can use it to keep track of your sections, both things you have signed up for and things you have read :)
Kathrine
Fowlnuke

Post by Fowlnuke »

Makes perfect sense. Thank you. :D
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

:thumbs:
Kathrine
Fowlnuke

Post by Fowlnuke »

I'm done with Fyrtøjet! https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/skandinaviskaeventyr_fyrtoejet_as_128kb.mp3

I ended up doing two recordings. With the first one I found myself struggling to relax and I was making errors all the time. I felt a bit silly when I had to clap my hands for the third or fourth time after the same error. After listening to it I didn't like it very much and I closed audacity with a sense of "ugh.."
Later in the day I tried a second time, and it went much better! I was able to relax after a couple minutes of reading and the rest came sort of smoothly. :)

Also I had some problems with the librivox uploader. After some tinkering I found out that it was because i had an "Ø" in the filename, which i changed to "oe" and it worked. I didn't see this problem or solution mentioned anywhere, so maybe the people in charge of the uploader would like to know. (or i might just have missed the info) ^^
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Thank you! Oh, I'm looking forward to listening! :clap: :clap:

Yah, you're right about the uploader, thank you for drawing my attention to that :oops: I'll add it to the first post, so the next person doesn't have to figure it out for him/herself. The uploader only likes the standard English letters (no accents, no extra anything). It is sadly monolingual :wink:
Fowlnuke wrote:I ended up doing two recordings. With the first one I found myself struggling to relax and I was making errors all the time. I felt a bit silly when I had to clap my hands for the third or fourth time after the same error. After listening to it I didn't like it very much and I closed audacity with a sense of "ugh.."
Later in the day I tried a second time, and it went much better! I was able to relax after a couple minutes of reading and the rest came sort of smoothly.
That sounds pretty normal to me! I sometimes end up recording a chapter or story twice, because the first time I'm just fumbling around and it sounds awful... By the way, there is no law saying that you have to clap your hand when you make mistakes -- some find it helpful, but many of us (myself included) just start reading again from the last sentence or natural pause in the sentence. I don't find that I have any problem finding my repeats and stumbles as I edit :wink: (Besides, there are so many of them that if I marked all of them with clapping, I think it would annoy me much more.) Oh, I'll mention this too: some people do the editing as they record. In other words, when they do a repeat or whatever, they go back in the recording, delete the extra, and just start again from there. Anyway, it is all up to you, just do what makes sense to you :thumbs:
Kathrine
Fowlnuke

Post by Fowlnuke »

I'm looking forward to listening!
Thank you. :D If you have any advice, I would love to hear it! Are you also proof listener for this project besides being BC? (You are called the BC, right?)

I'm glad it isn't just me who can flop around. :lol:
Besides, there are so many of them that if I marked all of them with clapping, I think it would annoy me much more.
I feel the same way. The clapping just makes me think about the mistake even more, so I'll definitely try your approach next time. :)
some people do the editing as they record.
In the newbie guide to recording it said, that it is best not to stop the recording for anything to prevent inconsistencies in sound and volume, so I didn't think you could edit as you recorded. I guess you should just be careful not to change the setup too much between recordings and it'll be fine?
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Fowlnuke wrote:Are you also proof listener for this project besides being BC
Yes, I am the BC (putting in claims, explaining to people) and I'm at least acting as the PL (or DPL (=listen to the whole project).
Fowlnuke wrote:In the newbie guide to recording it said, that it is best not to stop the recording for anything to prevent inconsistencies in sound and volume, so I didn't think you could edit as you recorded. I guess you should just be careful not to change the setup too much between recordings and it'll be fine?
Hm, yes, well, I think that advice is well-meaning, but it depends on lots of things -- mostly the setup and where your mouth is in relation to the microphone. I try to avoid recording half a section in the morning and the second half at night because my voice sounds pretty different at different times of the day. In the beginning I sort of made sure that I ddin't have to get up once I started recording (so I would get water first, and get everything ready, so to speak). But now I happily get up to close a door or take a phone call or whatever in the middle of the recording, and I think it works ok. I don't edit as I go (I make too many mistakes!), so I don't have any experience with it. But I know of volunteers who do :)

So.. hm, I the gist of it is this: as you keep doing this, you'll figure out what works for you (in terms or recording, editing, etc). The advice for newbie readers is just precisely that: advice. I think of it as a starting point from which to experiment :)

Sometimes in the Need help? and Suggestions, Comments... forums there are discussion about how people record, or whether people read from the screen or a paper printout of the text, or or or (any number of variables you can think of). To me it is sort of liberating to read those threads, because people use any number of methods and strategies to make their recordings (and they all sound good!).

Anyway, I'm rambling on. :D
Kathrine
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Fyrtøjet is PL OK! :clap: :clap: I thought you did a wonderful job, don't really have any recommendations for improvement. The sound quality is good, I like your pacing and (gentle) voices. Great job!
Kathrine
Fowlnuke

Post by Fowlnuke »

The advice for newbie readers is just precisely that: advice. I think of it as a starting point from which to experiment
Makes sense. I'll try to find what works best for me.
Fyrtøjet is PL OK! :clap: :clap: I thought you did a wonderful job
Yay! Thank you. :D

I would like to also read "Svinedrengen" by H.C. Andersen. I'll post it when I'm done. :)
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Fowlnuke wrote:I would like to also read "Svinedrengen" by H.C. Andersen. I'll post it when I'm done.
Please do! I'm looking forward to it :thumbs:
Kathrine