[COMPLETE] Vivo de Zamenhof by Edmond Privat - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, that's fine.

I know what you mean. Back when I started LV, I tried recording something in Spanish and gave up. You're not alone!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
vviera

Post by vviera »

Muy bien :D

I'm sitting in my studio (walk-in closet) recording my Spanish solo right now and took a break to check email. I've spoken Spanish for about 45 years, have studied up into graduate-level work, and lived in Spanish-speaking places. But it is still not as easy to record as English. I love the challenge, but it's hard enough. I don't need to torture myself with Esperanto. The good news is that the Spanish recording is getting easier. I hope that continues :-)

Probably do the proofing this evening so I can get Zamenhof off my plate.
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For giggles, I'm going to move this to Readers Wanted. I doubt we'll pick up someone for the last 3 sections, but you never know!
vviera

Post by vviera »

TriciaG wrote: November 21st, 2021, 12:39 pm For giggles, I'm going to move this to Readers Wanted. I doubt we'll pick up someone for the last 3 sections, but you never know!
LOL, that's an excellent idea. I'll still be willing to PL!

All of his sections marked PL OK now.
Cheers, VERLA

vviera

Post by vviera »

I changed my mind again. I'm going to try at least one. Can you sign me up? I can get into the MW and when I click on the URL field, for example, it gives me a box, but it doesn't give me a chance to do anything in the reader field. So Chapter 10 only, please.

What the heck. It's not like we're in any hurry
Cheers, VERLA

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Have you ever assigned a reader in the MW? Click on "Assign Sections" and start typing in your user name. You have to select the name from the pick list, or it won't stick. Add in the section number and click "Add".

I'll do it, but that's how it's done. :)
vviera

Post by vviera »

Thank you. I actually recorded about half of sec. 10 since my last message, so I think I can do it. I went ahead and assigned myself 11 to practice the assignment process. I think my quest for perfection (or at least high standards) was kind of making me scared (or at least hesitant).

I talked about this with my friend who was kind of my Esperanto mentor when I was first learning. We talked on the phone with an email followup.

(Here I was talking about giving the PL OK.) Me: Esperantists are very tolerant of errors or mispronunciation given that it's the first language of only a handful of people in the world.
Him: I think you're right that Esperanto speakers are highly forgiving of errors. I would add that they're highly tolerant of accents as well - I've only ever heard a few speakers who I'd say don't have an accent from another language.

So what the heck. I read a little slow, which actually is good for beginner or intermediate speakers for listening practice. And everybody can deal with my Puerto Rican accent :D

Anyway, no response needed. Kind of thinking out loud.
Cheers, VERLA

vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi Tricia,

I realized that the reason I'm not working on this is because, well, I hate it :lol: I really think there should be more Esperanto works on LV, but I'm just not the one to put them there. (Maybe another poem or story in short works.) You can take me out of the MW.

So instead, I thought I could contribute by bringing in others who might read. The Esperanto community across the country (world, really) is pretty connected. I contacted the editor of the bulletin published by the U.S. Esperanto Association, and they are going to put an announcement in the bulletin and push it out to their social media outlets as well, inviting people to come check out LV and do some Esperanto recordings. I'm also going to post it in a couple Facebook groups and send it back to Seattle, where they have an enthusiastic Esperanto community. (I moved from there a few months ago.) Even if we could bring in just a handful of new readers, some works would start to appear.

Final answer, I'm not going to finish this. It's just too hard, and it's sucking energy away from my other work. (Do you know how much energy it takes sitting around and NOT doing something you think you SHOULD be doing?)

I think it would be really cool if the Esperantists showed up. We'll see what happens. Thanks for reading all my waffling on this.
Cheers, VERLA

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

OK, I've removed you.

Are you BC'ing this? In that case, you could have removed yourself. :lol:
vviera

Post by vviera »

TriciaG wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:17 am OK, I've removed you.

Oh, right...I should have remembered, considering that this is the project for which you taught me to how to ADD readers. Not quite four months on LV...I'll get the hang of it all eventually. 8-) Thanks!
Cheers, VERLA

Aphlaston

Post by Aphlaston »

Hi, I read the book quite recently (a year ago) and I'm ready to help. Which chapter you want me to record first? I can start reading the tenth and send a sample in a few days. Bondezirojn!
vviera

Post by vviera »

TriciaG wrote: December 17th, 2021, 7:17 am
Hi Tricia -

There is a "Discussion about works in Esperanto" forum, and aphlaston (see above) posted there. I have been giving him a bit of an orientation on the 1-minute test, how to get started, how to find PD works, etc.

I'll write him in a bit, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for establishing the separate 1-minute test thread and for making it so prominent! I have gone into Listeners Wanted a few times to see if there's anything interesting to PL, but you really had to dig to find anything in there. I've been wanting to suggest making a separate topic for awhile but I suppose inertia took over.

So, the question (and I do have one) is, how do you find out whether someone has passed the one-minute - is there a way besides looking through that forum? If I see him post, can I go in and run his file through checker, or is that something you're supposed to be an admin to do?

Thanks as always. He's already volunteered to work on the abandoned solo, so I'm pretty excited! He is from Poland, so maybe he'll do some Polish as well.

Verla
Cheers, VERLA

vviera

Post by vviera »

Aphlaston wrote: January 24th, 2022, 5:26 am Hi, I read the book quite recently (a year ago) and I'm ready to help. Which chapter you want me to record first? I can start reading the tenth and send a sample in a few days. Bondezirojn!
Saluton, Aphlaston -

To start with your first section, you have to do the one-minute test. It's not an audition - it's required only to confirm that your recording settings conform with the Librivox standards.

Comencu vian partoprenon per fari unuminutan provon:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

Kiam vi finos vian provon, elektu ĉapitro ke vi volos registri, kaj mandu mesaĝon ĉi tie en la forumo.

Amike,
Verla
Cheers, VERLA

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

So, the question (and I do have one) is, how do you find out whether someone has passed the one-minute - is there a way besides looking through that forum? If I see him post, can I go in and run his file through checker, or is that something you're supposed to be an admin to do?
You can search his posts via his profile, or by clicking on the number of posts he has: search.php?author_id=134754&sr=posts

There you should be able to get to any posts he's made, so to the 1-minute test post.

You can check it, but also listen to be sure there aren't plosives, the background noise is OK, etc. There's a thread stuck to the top of the new forum with what to check for. Any "experienced" reader can check tests. When someone OK's it, an admin goes through the threads on occasion to add the [ok] to the thread title.

I hope this answers your questions. :)
vviera

Post by vviera »

TriciaG wrote: January 24th, 2022, 1:44 pm You can search his posts via his profile, or by clicking on the number of posts he has: search.php?author_id=134754&sr=posts
In the category of things that are always obvious once Tricia explains them... :roll:

Glad to see he's gotten into the Polish forum too.
Cheers, VERLA