[COMPLETE] Vivo de Zamenhof by Edmond Privat - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Saluton! Mi intencas registri la tri finajn ĉapitrojn de tiu ĉi libro.

Hello! I'm planning to record the final three chapters of this book.
vviera

Post by vviera »

JDZ3R0 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 10:21 am Saluton! Mi intencas registri la tri finajn ĉapitrojn de tiu ĉi libro.

Hello! I'm planning to record the final three chapters of this book.
Bone, bone, kaj saluton! Pardonu mian krokodiladon...

I am so happy to see that there is another Esperantist on board. I read well but don't write with ease, hence the krokodilado here...

I see that you passed your one-minute test. I will proof listen the three chapters. I will also volunteer to do the proof listening on your solo if you like. I'll also put comments on that thread.

Bonvenon, kaj dankon!
Verla
Cheers, VERLA

There's no rehab for LibriVox addicts. (Aren't you glad?)
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Jen mia unua, sed verŝajne ne fina, sonregistraĵo de la deka ĉapitro. Elkoran dankon al ĉiuj kiuj oferis al mi helpon kaj konsilon!

Here is my first, and probably not last, recording of the tenth chapter. Thank you very much to everyone who has offered their help and advice!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_01_privat_128kb.mp3 - (14:01)
vviera

Post by vviera »

JDZ3R0 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 4:59 pm Jen mia unua, sed verŝajne ne fina, sonregistraĵo de la deka ĉapitro. Elkoran dankon al ĉiuj kiuj oferis al mi helpon kaj konsilon!

Here is my first, and probably not last, recording of the tenth chapter. Thank you very much to everyone who has offered their help and advice!

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_01_privat_128kb.mp3 - (14:01)
Dankon, mi aŭskultos ĝin morgaŭ :D
Cheers, VERLA

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please note that I changed the file name. It had been numbered 01, which replaced chapter 1. I've fixed it up; this file is now numbered 10. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
vviera

Post by vviera »

TriciaG wrote: June 30th, 2022, 4:47 am Please note that I changed the file name. It had been numbered 01, which replaced chapter 1. I've fixed it up; this file is now numbered 10. :)
Tricia, I assigned him and entered the URL. I assume that's ok for me to do.
Cheers, VERLA

vviera

Post by vviera »

JDZ3R0 wrote: June 29th, 2022, 4:59 pm Jen mia unua, sed verŝajne ne fina, sonregistraĵo de la deka ĉapitro. Elkoran dankon al ĉiuj kiuj oferis al mi helpon kaj konsilon!

What an excellent reading, especially for your first time out!!! It was a pleasure to listen to. PL:

NOTE: Do corrections from latest to earliest so that the given times will stay the same!

:25 – insert title - “Verkisto”
1:02 – duplicate phrase - Li hontis pri Esperanto ĝis tiam

The following quotes should be set off with “quote” at the beginning and “end quote” at the end. Unfortunately, since the nature of “Verkisto” means many of his works are quoted, there are a lot! What do you think the best terms for this would be in Esperanto? Suggest “citaĵo” and “fino de citaĵo”? This is not as much work as it might seem. Just record “citaĵo” and “fino de citaĵo” once, then cut and paste them into the appropriate places, remembering to work from last to first.

3:57/5:00
5:18/5:25
5:34/5:53
7:10/8:13
9:28/9:35
9:43/10:02
10:18/10:24
10:53/11:04
11:32/11:44
12:05/12:19

Thanks again! I'm excited to add more Esperanto works to LV.

Verla
Cheers, VERLA

JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

vviera wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:16 am

What an excellent reading, especially for your first time out!!! It was a pleasure to listen to. PL:

NOTE: Do corrections from latest to earliest so that the given times will stay the same!

The following quotes should be set off with “quote” at the beginning and “end quote” at the end. Unfortunately, since the nature of “Verkisto” means many of his works are quoted, there are a lot! What do you think the best terms for this would be in Esperanto? Suggest “citaĵo” and “fino de citaĵo”? This is not as much work as it might seem. Just record “citaĵo” and “fino de citaĵo” once, then cut and paste them into the appropriate places, remembering to work from last to first.

Verla
Thank you! :) I appreciate the feedback. It seems like "citaĵo" and "fino de citaĵo" would be best according to PMEG https://bertilow.com/pmeg/skribo_elparolo/skribo/helposignoj.html.

Here is the newest version with corrections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_10_privat_128kb.mp3 - (14:32)

Hoping to take a stab at the next chapter tomorrow.
vviera

Post by vviera »

JDZ3R0 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Verla
Thank you! :) I appreciate the feedback. It seems like "citaĵo" and "fino de citaĵo" would be best according to PMEG https://bertilow.com/pmeg/skribo_elparolo/skribo/helposignoj.html.

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_10_privat_128kb.mp3 - (14:32)

Ha, la PMEG! Bertilo savas nin denove :D

Also, I had a chance to look at Karlo, and it looks like an excellent choice! I wish I had had some things like that when I was learning. Everyone needs listening practice, and it can be hard to come by. I used YouTubes, which was helpful, and at the time, I lived in Seattle, which has an active Esperanto community.

I should have time to do the spot PL on this one tomorrow.

Ĝis!
Cheers, VERLA

JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Nice! I wish I had an active esperanto community where I live.

Here is chapter 11:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_11_privat_128kb.mp3 - (23:58)

I decided not to read "citaĵo/fino de citaĵo" for the inline quotations, but I kept them for the block quotes. When I tried it with the inline quotes, it seemed to ruin the flow of the text. Hopefully given the context, and the way I read it, it will be obvious to the listener which words or small phrases are in quotes.

Let me know if you think!
vviera

Post by vviera »

Verla

Ho, I hate to do this, but I do think the first insertions you made (i.e., last in text) are sitting on top of the surrounding text. Please go to 12:35 and 12:48 and insert a little silence around the "citaĵo" and "fino de citaĵo." Find a silence somewhere nearby, copy a piece, and insert (paste) before and after each term. (I don't know if you've used Audacity before, so pardonu if that's something obvious to you.)

I expect to do 11 tonight.

Dankon!!! I keep being excited about having more Esperanto in my life. There's no community where I live either. May I ask how you found out about librivox? I had an announcement and request for recorders put into the UEA newsletter, but I don't think anyone responded.
Ĝis,
Verla
Cheers, VERLA

JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

vviera wrote: July 1st, 2022, 12:27 pm

Verla

Ho, I hate to do this, but I do think the first insertions you made (i.e., last in text) are sitting on top of the surrounding text. Please go to 12:35 and 12:48 and insert a little silence around the "citaĵo" and "fino de citaĵo." Find a silence somewhere nearby, copy a piece, and insert (paste) before and after each term. (I don't know if you've used Audacity before, so pardonu if that's something obvious to you.)

I expect to do 11 tonight.

Dankon!!! I keep being excited about having more Esperanto in my life. There's no community where I live either. May I ask how you found out about librivox? I had an announcement and request for recorders put into the UEA newsletter, but I don't think anyone responded.
Ĝis,
Verla
Nice spot, thanks for catching that! Should be fixed now.

Jen la tria provo :lol:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_10_privat_128kb.mp3

I discovered librivox maybe 5 or 6 years ago? I hadn't ever really listend to audiobooks before but I got into the habit needing something to listen to on a long commute to work I used to have. I would usually just "borrow" the titles I wanted to listen to from my library, but sometimes they didn't have everything I wanted to listen to, and often I had to wait for a digital copy to be "returned" :roll: . Anyway, after some searching for a better audiobook solution I discovered librivox. I've only been speaking Esperanto since April or May of 2020, so depending on when librivox was last mentioned in the UEA newsletter I may not have seen it.

I'm pretty sympathetic to open/volunteer projects like this but I usually don't have the technical skills to contribute something worthwhile. So I'm happy to put my Esperanto to good use :)
vviera

Post by vviera »

JDZ3R0 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:02 am Nice! I wish I had an active esperanto community where I live.

Here is chapter 11:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_11_privat_128kb.mp3 - (23:58)

I decided not to read "citaĵo/fino de citaĵo" for the inline quotations, but I kept them for the block quotes. When I tried it with the inline quotes, it seemed to ruin the flow of the text. Hopefully given the context, and the way I read it, it will be obvious to the listener which words or small phrases are in quotes.

Ĉapitro 11 estas PL OK! Bonege!
Your choices on inline quotations were perfect. I think tone of voice, with a slight pause right before the (unquoted) text works best in those situations, and that's generally what you did. You're right, too many instances of ĉitaĵo obscures rather than clarifies the text.

One thing you might watch in editing (though for which no correction is needed here) is the space (or really no space) between sentences. See an example of this at 14:00-14:01. You can always paste in a little silence, as we discussed before, to make it sound natural. Note, that is pickier than I would ordinarily be in PL. I just know you are learning. Your skill level is so high already that I figure I can mention these small things.

I found the section on church (or belief) vs. state vs. the language really interesting. Of course it all needs to be separate if we are all going to have a pacan mondon.

Amike,
Verla
Cheers, VERLA

JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

vviera wrote: July 2nd, 2022, 6:22 am
JDZ3R0 wrote: July 1st, 2022, 9:02 am Nice! I wish I had an active esperanto community where I live.

Here is chapter 11:

Ĉapitro 11 estas PL OK! Bonege!
Your choices on inline quotations were perfect. I think tone of voice, with a slight pause right before the (unquoted) text works best in those situations, and that's generally what you did. You're right, too many instances of ĉitaĵo obscures rather than clarifies the text.

One thing you might watch in editing (though for which no correction is needed here) is the space (or really no space) between sentences. See an example of this at 14:00-14:01. You can always paste in a little silence, as we discussed before, to make it sound natural. Note, that is pickier than I would ordinarily be in PL. I just know you are learning. Your skill level is so high already that I figure I can mention these small things.

I found the section on church (or belief) vs. state vs. the language really interesting. Of course it all needs to be separate if we are all going to have a pacan mondon.

Amike,
Verla
Excellent, I'm glad you're enjoying the book. I've never read it before but I am enjoying it. I think I'll read the other chapters once I'm done. (Not for librivox, just for fun :lol: )

Planning on recording the final chapter tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help!
JDZ3R0

Post by JDZ3R0 »

Here it is! The final chapter:
https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/vivodezamenhof_12_privat_128kb.mp3 - (27:41)

There was one short footnote in this chapter. I decided not to include it at all (either inline or at the end of the chapter) as I felt it wasn't essential enough to include and break the flow of the text. Let me know if you feel otherwise! Wouldn't be too hard to edit it in.