LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post Posted:: September 1st, 2016, 11:43 am 

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights by United Nations ( - ).

Quote:
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a declaration adopted by the United Nations General Assembly (10 December 1948 at Palais de Chaillot, Paris). The Guinness Book of Records describes the UDHR as the "Most Translated Document" in the world. It consists of 30 articles which outline the view of the General Assembly on the human rights guaranteed to all people. (Wikipedia)

Special Rules:
So far we've collected recordings in 52 different languages of this document. I'm looking to increase that number by at least 10. So please only submissions of languages that have not been done before. Previously Recorded Languages which can be found here are:

Quote:
Achenese, Afrikaans, Arabic, Balinese, Brazilian Portuguese, Buginese, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Esperanto, Faroese, Filipino (Tagalog), Finnish, French, Frisian (Western), German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Korean, Latin, Latvian, Luxembourgish, Malay, Minangkabau, Nynorsk, Occitan, Oriya, Pampango, Polish, Portuguese, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Sundanese, Swedish, Tamil, Ukrainian, Urdu, Walloon, Yiddish

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/Introduction.aspx
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "The Universal Declaration of Human Rights read in [Language] This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This recording is in the public domain."
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
        Lines in Pink (namely the intro and the outro) with this symbol can be translated into the language the reader is using to read the Declaration
        Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      udhr_##_[your intials]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the Language (e.g. udhr_en_kcb_128kb.mp3 is the English version read by KCB.)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags
      Please ignore ID3 tags as these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    10. Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lezer - lezer
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below

Life in South Africa
A 18th Century Sea Voyage 2 sections
Jules Verne Adventure 3 sections
MultiLingual Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Sections wanting PL

Post Posted:: September 1st, 2016, 11:58 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Kim,
I can be the MC for you here - I look forward to finding out how many more rare languages we can add. If I understand your post correctly, you don't want any of the languages we already have, but only ones we don't have already?
I'm at a very slow internet connection at the moment - hope to have a better one later today, so will set up the MW then.

Post Posted:: September 2nd, 2016, 1:03 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Kim,
Project all set up!
Let me know if you have any questions. Let's hope we can interest some new international readers to help out.

Post Posted:: September 3rd, 2016, 9:04 am 

This is GREAT!!

The UDHR has been translated into 472 languages (at present) and holds the Guinness World Record for most translated document.

At 52 languages, we've just scratched the surface. I'm so excited to see what languages LibriVox can add to the collection.

Cheers, N

info@udhr.video / http://udhr.video

Post Posted:: September 5th, 2016, 11:06 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Moving this to the forum Readers Wanted: Languages other than English.

Post Posted:: September 7th, 2016, 9:21 pm 

Hello,

I am a native Serbian speaker and I am also interested in human rights, so I'll gladly read it in Serbian. :)

I guess that I should translate intro and ending quotes in Serbian, right? :D

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Milos :)

Post Posted:: September 7th, 2016, 9:56 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Milos,
Welcome to LibriVox!

Serbian would be great! And yes, the words in pink in the first post above you can translate into Serbian.
I see you have already done the 1-minute test, I'm sure someone will be along to listen soon (or I'll have some time later today). Once your equipment is all setup right, it would be great if you could record the declaration in Serbian.

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2016, 8:48 am 

Thanks, Anna.

I am happy to be part of LibriVox.

I'll have some free time later today today, so I'll start recording the moment I get the green light on 1 minute test.

I'm so excited and can't wait to start.

Best,

Milos

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2016, 2:00 pm 

May I claim the Russian translation please?

ETA -- I am sorry. I didn't realise that we're adding missing languages. :oops: I withdraw my request.

Last edited by tovarisch on September 8th, 2016, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2016, 4:03 pm 

Hello,

It's done:

http://uploads.librivox.org/lezer/udhr_serbian_mm.mp3

I used noise reduction and normalize option in Audacity when I finished recording and I believe it's good. :)

BTW, will this be published somewhere?

It was fun doing this overall. :)

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2016, 4:55 pm 

Milos,
Thanks so much for contributing the recording in Serbian! It sounds great to me.

I was listening to your recording and comparing with the UN translation (http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/Language.aspx?LangID=src5 and http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/Language.aspx?LangID=src3) but they don't seem to match.

Which text were you reading from?

Please advise. Many thanks, Noah

info@udhr.video / http://udhr.video

Post Posted:: September 8th, 2016, 5:10 pm 

Hello,

You're welcome, it was my pleasure.

How do you mean it doesn't match? That's the one I was reading...

What parts don't match?
(If you are refering to the fact that I used the expression "Univerzalna deklaracija o ljudskim pravima" instead of "Opsta deklaracija o pravima coveka" I did so because that is the translation most commonly used in everyday life, as well as in academic world when refering to UDHR.)

Post Posted:: September 9th, 2016, 8:59 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Milos,
Thank you for the recording, and doing it so quickly! That's great. It will go in the MW, and will need to be proof-listened.
But we'll have to have the text as it is given in the source. Here at LibriVox we have a rule to read the text as it is - so in a novel or story or essay, whatever language, we read all the words that are there - even if they are now politically-incorrect words, or if they are swear-words that someone would rather not read, or if it is different from what you would normally use. So for the LibriVox recording that can go into this project, could you please make a version with exactly the text as it is in the translation by the UN? (You are of course welcome to make another recording for your own use, or to post somewhere else on the internet, which has the translation that you prefer).
I hope you understand.

Post Posted:: September 9th, 2016, 9:09 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Oh, by the way, Milos, could you please also post the duration of the recording as you have it (in min:sec)? Thanks!

And regarding your question: the recording will first be prooflistened. Then we wait until we get more contributions. And when the collection is complete it will go into the catalogue for anyone to download. May be a while, though... But you can go on recording for other projects in the meantime!

Question: what would you like your catalog name to be? It can be the same as your forum name, or it can be your real name or anything you like.

Post Posted:: September 9th, 2016, 11:54 am 

Hello,

Of course I understand. I did read all the words that were there, I just used another (more current) expression to refer to UDHR, but I changed it now back to the UN translation.

Here's the modified recording:
http://uploads.librivox.org/lezer/udhr_serbian_mm.mp3
Duration: 14:15

Let me know if everything's OK now.

My nick for the catalogue can be Milos Mitic.

Best,