COMPLETE [ITALIANO] Le Rime di Dante - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Algy, I'm being spoilt here. :9: Wonderfully narrated and no errors at all. A pleasure to listen to. PL ok immediately. :thumbs:

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Sonia,
I uploaded sect. 39 "Poiché saziar non posso gli occhi miei" - 1:08 minutes - https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rime_039_alighieri_128kb.mp3
Just a couple of notes: This text is now generally attributed to Cino da Pistoia, but this fact doesn't make at all the poetry less fascinating.
About the unusual word "avvegna" a note taken from Treccani encyclopedia on line:"avvegnaché (o avvègna che; raro avvènga che) cong., ant. – 1. Benché, quantunque: Avvegna che la subitana fuga Dispergesse color per la campagna (Dante). 2. Poiché (con l’indic.): avvegna che quel dì niuno ivi appresso era andato a lavorare (Boccaccio). ◆ Con l’uno e con l’altro senso, nell’uso antico si trova anche la sola forma verbale avvegna, senza il che, e con l’indicativo anche nel valore concessivo (per quanto, sebbene): Tant’è la sua vertù che spande e porge, Avegna non la scorge Se non chi lei onora desïando (Cino da Pistoia)."

Finally, I have to say that I was really moved listening to section 49 read by Algy.
It is really beautiful and deeply moving to listen to a voice clearly not of Italian origin reading Italian poetry so well.
It gives me a feeling of universality… I’m sure you understand what I mean.
Pier
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

I uploaded also sec. 41 "E' non è legno di sì forti nocchi" .https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/rime_041_alighieri_128kb.mp3 (0:58 minutes).
With this sonnet we find a sudden change in style: where is gone the beloved“donna angelicata”? Here we have almost an evil “donna”.
I found the necessity to change accordingly my rhythm in reading, accelerating it.
This sonnet as well is attributed (but it is not certain) to Cino da Pistoia.
It has anyway a certain similarity to Dante’s “ rime pietrose” dedicated to “donna Petra”
Excuse me for more one quote on this theme:
Le "Rime Petrose" di Dante Alighieri Sono componimenti che Dante produsse verso la metà degli anni '90 (1295 - 1296) e che così furono chiamati perché sono incentrati su una figura femminile chiamata Madonna Petra che viene presentata come dura, insensibile, refrattaria all'amore del poeta. La dama è rappresentata in termini concreti, reali, materiali; _ Vi è la totale mancanza di sublimazione e idealizzazione della donna; La violenza con cui il poeta si rivolge alla dama, desiderando che lei provi lo stesso dolore che prova lui non essendo corrisposto, con un forte desiderio di vendetta. Le scelte formali - stilistiche che adotta il poeta riscontrano questa violenza: _ Ricerca di suoni aspri e disarmonici soprattutto in sede di rima;

Pier
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Thank you Sonia and Pier for the kind words about my reading.

Pier, you may be interested to learn that there is a distinctive Australian/Italian accent. It is well illustrated in this song about a celebrated (some might say notorious) furniture merchant in Melbourne, Franco Cozzo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix90TQ9vXOU

Franco Cozzo later spoiled the joke by relating his North Melbourne store to Brunswick. He is still in business.

In some ways he was a trend setter. He was the first person to show multilingual advertisements on Australian television - his commercials were in English, Italian and Greek.

Although I lived for a time around the corner from his North Melbourne store, I never followed his injunction: "comprate da Franco Cozzo."
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

thank you for both poems, Pier ! Wow I especially loved the new and sterner tone of voice in the second one (41) compared to the very dreamy voice in 39, this is a nice contrast to listen to both one after the other. Very well done.

And thank you for the interesting additional notes here on the forum. Have you by any chance lectured about Dante at university ? It sounds like you know a lot about these poems. :)
Finally, I have to say that I was really moved listening to section 49 read by Algy.
It is really beautiful and deeply moving to listen to a voice clearly not of Italian origin reading Italian poetry so well.
It gives me a feeling of universality… I’m sure you understand what I mean.
yes I totally understand you there :thumbs: Languages are so great to know and learn. That's why I love so much listening here on LV to different languages. I learnt so many beautiful new things already.

your section 39 is already PL ok.

But section 41 has been cut off abruptly at the end. I don't even hear the final syllable of "publico". Could you please insert that and the 5 seconds of silence ?

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: May 7th, 2018, 5:09 pm Pier, you may be interested to learn that there is a distinctive Australian/Italian accent. It is well illustrated in this song about a celebrated (some might say notorious) furniture merchant in Melbourne, Franco Cozzo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix90TQ9vXOU
:lol: I listened to this, it reminds me of some advertisements we have here as well. Your pronunciation and accent in Italian is much better than Franco's in English, Algy, even if he may have been your role model ;)

Sonia
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Here is a link to the legendary Franco Cozzo television advertisement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpLVOUx0D8

And an interview (in Italian) with the man himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6BXGqqXJck

More Melbourne trivia:
- the football matches (Australian rules) between North Melbourne and Footscray were known as the Franco Cozzo Cup;
- a train which ran between North Melbourne and Footscray without stopping at the intermediate station of South Kensington was known as the Franco Cozzo Express.

As you can see, Pier knows a lot about Dante and I know a lot about Franco Cozzo. However, I doubt that people will still be talking about Franco in 800 years time.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: May 8th, 2018, 1:28 am Here is a link to the legendary Franco Cozzo television advertisement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpLVOUx0D8

ah well he seems to be a real Italian at least. So his accent in English was not staged I suppose. Ok, I somehow thought he was Australian doing an Italian persona. I guess I was wrong.
More Melbourne trivia:
- the football matches (Australian rules) between North Melbourne and Footscray were known as the Franco Cozzo Cup;
- a train which ran between North Melbourne and Footscray without stopping at the intermediate station of South Kensington was known as the Franco Cozzo Express.
I see he has shaped the Australian life quite a bit :mrgreen:
As you can see, Pier knows a lot about Dante and I know a lot about Franco Cozzo. However, I doubt that people will still be talking about Franco in 800 years time.
well you never know, a future archeologist might dig out Cozzo furniture in the very far future and write a thesis about the Australian way of living. :lol:

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Dear Sonia,
Sorry I think I forgot the 5 seconds at the end of last section!
I will make the correction probably tomorrow since I am now going to Bologna by train

I didn't make any lecture on Dante at University, I am just a mechanical engineer (un vile meccanico, as says Manzoni in Promessi Sposi). :roll:
But I take advantage of the opportunity of reading the Rime to search information concerning them.
Pier.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Iunta4Ios wrote: May 8th, 2018, 1:38 amI didn't make any lecture on Dante at University, I am just a mechanical engineer (un vile meccanico, as says Manzoni in Promessi Sposi). :roll:
there's nothing "vile" about you, Pier. I also like to look up things that interest me. LV is great for broadening our horizons.

Have a good trip to Bologna.

Sonia
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Kitty wrote: May 8th, 2018, 1:36 am
ah well he seems to be a real Italian at least. So his accent in English was not staged I suppose. Ok, I somehow thought he was Australian doing an Italian persona. I guess I was wrong.

[Sonia
[/quote]

The Franco Cozzo Song was sung by Tony Cursio, who has a "classic" Australian/Italian accent. Tony was something of a "one-hit wonder."

Franco's Italianate English was definitely genuine. If it were an imitator the accent would have been a lot broader.

In the Italian interview Franco actually states that he never learned English properly and never cared to do so.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kitty »

Algy Pug wrote: May 8th, 2018, 1:59 am In the Italian interview Franco actually states that he never learned English properly and never cared to do so.
I didn't watch the whole interview, only that part where he sold the housewife a dishwasher and refrigerator. :lol: He definitely had salesman qualities.

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Sonia, I corrected sec 41. The new recording time is 1:04 minutes.
By the way I had finally occasion to listen to Franco Cozzo. It is exhilarating and really interesting :wink: . Thanks Algy to enlighten us on this Australian – Italian accent :clap: !
Pier
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Iunta4Ios wrote: May 9th, 2018, 12:29 am Sonia, I corrected sec 41. The new recording time is 1:04 minutes.
yes thank you, now it's definitely PL ok. :thumbs:

By the way, I recorded my own Dante poem yesterday evening, and I will probably post it later on today. In case you want to check whether my pronunciation is correct for all the words, I'd be happy to hear your feedback, Pier. My Italian is getting rusty after many years of not using it and Dante is not the easiest to read. So if you note any errors, please let me know.

Sonia
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

I shall listen to your recording with pleasure. I’m sure there will be no errors at all, knowing how accurate you are. Anyway, I will give willingly and frankly all my impressions.
Pier