LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 12th, 2017, 2:50 pm


Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 13  [ 182 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Author Message
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 6:29 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Posts: 34478
Location: the Netherlands
the rule is to not change the text, but i understand that arabic has a wealth of different pronunciations. i suppose as long as the text is not changed, the variations are fine.

the ~ means that the project has no dpl and would be glad to accept one. isnt this the case here? :)

_________________
Carolin

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 6:32 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Posts: 34478
Location: the Netherlands
the first post looks good! no need to translate the entire thing at once, i expect that most volunteers have a basic understanding of english (otherwise it is hard to even sign up to the forum) so that they understand the info in the first post :)

do you think you could use latin letters for the magic window? i am not sure if i will get into trouble in cataloging with arabic lettering - our programs have been known to not like "strange" characters, but ill ask the other admins to make sure.

so lets move out to readers wanted!

_________________
Carolin

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 7:27 am 

Joined: April 19th, 2013, 11:35 pm
Posts: 69
Hello there

I am really very impressed with all the work that has been done by Mahmoud, Carolin and Salma in a very short period , so great work by all and very excited for this project

Ok so can I please claim chapter 3 (الاستبداد والدين) ?

Mahmound - thanks for clarifying that I can't do dpl , but I am more than happy to do some PL as a start since I have never done PL before and maybe I can do dpl a bit later

Many thanks again

Zaineb

_________________
Librivox page

Film & Book Review


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 8:45 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Posts: 34478
Location: the Netherlands
Carolin wrote:
do you think you could use latin letters for the magic window? i am not sure if i will get into trouble in cataloging with arabic lettering - our programs have been known to not like "strange" characters, but ill ask the other admins to make sure.


no, the arabic letters in the magic window should work fine, at least it apparently did in the other arabic projects. the magic window can stay as it is :thumbs:

_________________
Carolin

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 8:55 am 

Joined: May 29th, 2014, 12:17 am
Posts: 8
I am happy to know that Arabic-speaking LibriVox members are recording such a timeless book and thereby enriching the LibriVox library.
I want to claim section #4 (الاستبداد و العلم)


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 11:45 am 

Joined: February 17th, 2014, 8:23 am
Posts: 63
Location: Il porto della felicità
NourhanElsayed wrote:
I am happy to know that Arabic-speaking LibriVox members are recording such a timeless book and thereby enriching the LibriVox library.
I want to claim section #4 (الاستبداد و العلم)



Nourhan,

Welcome to the project, we all are so glad to have you here

Section 04 is yours,

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 11:51 am 

Joined: February 17th, 2014, 8:23 am
Posts: 63
Location: Il porto della felicità
Zaineb wrote:
Hello there

I am really very impressed with all the work that has been done by Mahmoud, Carolin and Salma in a very short period , so great work by all and very excited for this project

Ok so can I please claim chapter 3 (الاستبداد والدين) ?

Mahmound - thanks for clarifying that I can't do dpl , but I am more than happy to do some PL as a start since I have never done PL before and maybe I can do dpl a bit later

Many thanks again

Zaineb



Zaineb,

Thanks for your kind words. And thanks for the supporting the project from the very first start.

Chapter 3 is yours

I would like to say just that I didn't want to put you in a position that you didn't - yet - claimed. You can claim it if you want.
But as far as I know, you still didn't claim the dpl.

If it was for me to decide, I would say let all of us take part in both reading and pl. We are all new here and we all need experience to accomplish other Arabic projects in the future ان شاء الله


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 7th, 2014, 12:08 pm 

Joined: February 17th, 2014, 8:23 am
Posts: 63
Location: Il porto della felicità
Carolin wrote:
the rule is to not change the text, but i understand that arabic has a wealth of different pronunciations. i suppose as long as the text is not changed, the variations are fine.

the ~ means that the project has no dpl and would be glad to accept one. isnt this the case here? :)


Carolin,

Arabic language have some differences in the basic structure than most of the other languages. One of them - which we are considering now - is the "tashkeel". It's actually so powerful that it can change the whole meaning of every individual word - no need for any context, sentence or other words. For example if I said "كَتَبَ" pronounced "kataba" it refers to someone who has written something. While using the exact same letters with different tashkeel "كُتِبَ" it refers to the text which been written be someone we don't know! This is equivalent to the "active and passive" in English grammar.

I argued to depend on meaning, plus - of course text - for pl to get the listener to understand the whole meaning of the text correctly.

I would rather to have more than one pl for this project. I look at it as a chance for all of us - Newbie Arabic readers/listeners - to learn how to get things done.

BTW I would like to claim chapter 10, I know it's okay to read while being the bc, yet I thought to check it first before changing the mw.

Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 12:59 am 

Joined: June 2nd, 2014, 2:53 pm
Posts: 50
Mahmoud, I've an adequate but broad knowledge of 'nahw' so the basics will do just fine in reading; however, if i encounter any difficulties I'll use the 'sukun'

Zeinab thank you dear and I'm glad you joined us with the project :D
My welcomes to Norhan too!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 4:06 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Joined: May 26th, 2010, 8:54 am
Posts: 34478
Location: the Netherlands
mahmoud, i didnt know that there were such great differences! but the way you propose it now it sounds good :)

it can be a good idea to share the proof listening responsibilities - just make sure that all sections are listened to. im sure this will work out fine.

the bc can read as many sections in his/ her own projects as they want. just like any other reader.

_________________
Carolin

Looking for amazing poetry? Check out the poetry of Thomas Hood and Ben King!


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 6:57 am 

Joined: February 17th, 2014, 8:23 am
Posts: 63
Location: Il porto della felicità
Salma97 wrote:
Mahmoud, I've an adequate but broad knowledge of 'nahw' so the basics will do just fine in reading; however, if i encounter any difficulties I'll use the 'sukun'


Salma,


I'm sure you will do fine. :-D


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 7:05 am 

Joined: February 17th, 2014, 8:23 am
Posts: 63
Location: Il porto della felicità
Carolin wrote:
mahmoud, i didnt know that there were such great differences! but the way you propose it now it sounds good :)

it can be a good idea to share the proof listening responsibilities - just make sure that all sections are listened to. im sure this will work out fine.

the bc can read as many sections in his/ her own projects as they want. just like any other reader.



Carolin,

Thank you.

I'll make sure all sections are listened to.

Thanks, I'm claiming section 10. :-D


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 11:06 am 

Joined: June 2nd, 2014, 2:53 pm
Posts: 50
People I'm very sorry but my laptop's system crashed and I'll probably wait for a couple of days until it's fixed :(
I'll post the chapters once I get my laptoo back :s


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 11:07 am 

Joined: June 2nd, 2014, 2:53 pm
Posts: 50
Thank you Mahmoud :D


Top
 Profile  
Offline
Post Posted:: June 8th, 2014, 2:24 pm 

Joined: February 17th, 2014, 8:23 am
Posts: 63
Location: Il porto della felicità
Salma97 wrote:
People I'm very sorry but my laptop's system crashed and I'll probably wait for a couple of days until it's fixed :(
I'll post the chapters once I get my laptoo back :s



Salma,

I'm sorry to hear about your laptop. :-( We can wait for you. :-) Actually librivox demands that you deliver your recording within two months - starting with the claiming date. But of course it would be nice if you could finish the book ASAP.


Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group