[COMPLETE] Dialogo dei massimi sistemi by Galilei - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

Well, just a last comment on words difficult to read on scanned PDF: I usually take the text from "Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):" rather than from the "text" link directly on the MW for each sections. It easier to zoom in the text ( at least on my PC)
Anyway with old texts it is quite usual to have doubts in words spelling . In such cases I consider the meaning of the word. This is also difficult with old books using many times words with a spelling different from the modern language. But taking the word brunito or branita as example I can assure you that brunita make sense (brunire (verbo)
io brunisco, tu brunisci ecc. sottoporre a brunitura un oggetto metallico; scurire) while branita doesn't make sense, even trying to suppose a different spelling in old Italian.
Sorry to take such a long time on a single word, but it is an example of difficult problems of understanding old texts we all often have! :roll:
Pier
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Iunta4Ios wrote: August 30th, 2019, 9:58 pm Anyway with old texts it is quite usual to have doubts in words spelling . In such cases I consider the meaning of the word. This is also difficult with old books using many times words with a spelling different from the modern language. But taking the word brunito or branita as example I can assure you that brunita make sense (brunire (verbo)
io brunisco, tu brunisci ecc. sottoporre a brunitura un oggetto metallico; scurire) while branita doesn't make sense, even trying to suppose a different spelling in old Italian.
And that's the proof that it is really good to have a native speaker in a project. :)

I thought brunita sounds better to me, but I wouldn't have known :oops:
Iunta4Ios wrote: August 30th, 2019, 9:58 pm Sorry to take such a long time on a single word, but it is an example of difficult problems of understanding old texts we all often have!
It is even worse - could happen on a scanned modern text, too. My husband told me, when I told him about this thing here, that scanners sometimes make weird things with numbers or letters. An u can easily become an a, or other things like that. There was some problem a company selling copiers had just because of this effect.
novelreader

Post by novelreader »

Section 12 Pl Ok! :thumbs:
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

novelreader wrote: August 31st, 2019, 10:06 am Section 12 Pl Ok! :thumbs:
OK. Thank you! I hope that after the precious work of PL, you will read soon some section too! :D
Pier
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

novelreader wrote: August 31st, 2019, 10:06 am Section 12 Pl Ok!
Noted. Thank you both so much! :clap:
Voorlezer

Post by Voorlezer »

Hi, I would like to contribute to this project! Could I read section 6: Giornata prima, parte quinta?
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Yes, thank you for claiming.
What Name would you like for your reader page? Some take their forum name, some choose the clear name, some make something else, it is up to you what you decide :) Just keep in mind that once you choose a name, you can still change it on the readers page later on, but not in the recordings that are already made (if you say your readers name there).
Voorlezer

Post by Voorlezer »

Thanks, I’d like to use this reader name: Eef.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Thank you. So here's your brand new readers page with the first entry in it :):
https://librivox.org/reader/13589
novelreader

Post by novelreader »

Parte dodicesima PL Ok!
Grazie a chi lo mette sulla Magic window.. .
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Thank you so much! :) :thumbs:
Iunta4Ios

Post by Iunta4Ios »

novelreader wrote: September 20th, 2019, 5:37 am Parte dodicesima PL Ok!
Grazie a chi lo mette sulla Magic window.. .
Thanks you both.
Pier
novelreader

Post by novelreader »

Hello, section 14 PL Ok! :clap:
I have just realised that the text for this section starts at the bottom of page 100, instead of 101 so perhaps the information in the magic window could be changed for section 13 end page as well as section 14 start page? Many thanks! :thumbs:
I am all caught up now :lol: :clap:
Eysiss

Post by Eysiss »

Hallo.
I'd like to contribute to this project, but I have some doubts about how to read it, being not an easy task.
I've already asked to Iunta4Ios about it, and he kindly gave me his suggestions, but he also told me to ask here in the forum, in order to have Moniaqua opinion on the matter, so in case it will be of help to everybody else.

Being a dialogue there are different interlocutors. To distinguish them is it necessary to say the name at the beginning of the intervention?
For example page 14 (section 3) the first is Salv. -> you will have to read :"Salviati .pause. Io molto volentieri mi fermero'...." ?

On page 15 there is a long note. In this case at the end of the word "solamente" when the said note is recalled, what should I do? Say "Nota: Tu Aristotile ..."

Thank you so much.
Eysiss
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Sorry for being absent so long :oops:
novelreader wrote: September 29th, 2019, 6:15 am I have just realised that the text for this section starts at the bottom of page 100, instead of 101 so perhaps the information in the magic window could be changed for section 13 end page as well as section 14 start page? Many thanks!
I'll have a look at it asap, thank you for the info. As section 14 is already ok, it is not as critical, though, I guess :)
Eysiss wrote: October 27th, 2019, 8:52 am To distinguish them is it necessary to say the name at the beginning of the intervention?
For example page 14 (section 3) the first is Salv. -> you will have to read :"Salviati .pause. Io molto volentieri mi fermero'...." ?
I think that's the way Pier read it :) Yes, please, read it like this, as we do not have roles here but read it like a normal book.
Eysiss wrote: October 27th, 2019, 8:52 am On page 15 there is a long note. In this case at the end of the word "solamente" when the said note is recalled, what should I do? Say "Nota: Tu Aristotile ..."
You mean a footnote, right? (I can't really look upt the spot right now, my internet connection is awful slow). You do not need to place it directly after the word, if it is in the middle of a sentence, if you don't feel comfortable with that. Place it there or at the end of the sentence or paragraph, wherever it feels more comfortable. Then, yes. please say "Nota ..[footnote].. fine della nota." (does that sound right? In English it would be "Footnote: ..... End of Footnote" - sorry, it is too early for my brain :) ) and go on with the normal text. Thank you for asking :)