Hindi poem

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
aditidankar

Post by aditidankar »

Hello,

I would like to record a poem in Hindi which is in the public domain. How should I go about it? And how should I look for listeners once I have recorded the poem?

The copyright laws in India state: "The general rule is that copyright lasts for 60 years. In the case of original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works the 60-year period is counted from the year following the death of the author." - https://copyright.gov.in/documents/handbook.html
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

To record something for LibriVox, the text has to be public domain (out of copyright) in the USA, because that is where our servers are located. In addition, you have to follow the copyright laws of the country you are in as well.

So, the text will have to be PD in India and in the USA.

To be clearly out of copyright in the USA, the text must have been published more than 95 years ago (so in 1925 or earlier).

It doesn't look like there's a multilingual short works collection running right now; when there is, it will be posted in this forum: viewforum.php?f=60

That would be where you would submit the poem. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
aditidankar

Post by aditidankar »

Oh, I see. So, if a work is in PD in India but was published after 1925 it can't be read for Librivox?

And I can only read short stories or poetry in a different language when a multilingual short works collection is running?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

aditidankar wrote: March 25th, 2021, 7:00 am Oh, I see. So, if a work is in PD in India but was published after 1925 it can't be read for Librivox?
Essentially, yes. There are some exceptions, but they are only for works originally published in the USA, so they probably don't apply to works you're interested in.
And I can only read short stories or poetry in a different language when a multilingual short works collection is running?
If the work is long enough (a short story collection itself, or a book), it can be its own project. But single poems or short stories go into collections. (That saves us the work of cataloging a lot of really small projects, and keeps our catalog simpler. Works in collections are fully searchable in the catalog.)

The last collection was just cataloged this month. I'm sure another will start soon. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I will be starting another multi-lingual short works collection early in April.

Here is a link to the forum page for the last collection, cataloged earlier in March: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=84430 so you can see what to do to get ready.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

New Multilingual Collection open. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=86458

Thanks, Todd
aditidankar

Post by aditidankar »

Thanks! :)