Reading in Serbian?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Marfil

Post by Marfil »

Hey there, I would like to read books in Serbian, since i have seen none here (from local authors, but also Serbian translations).
I guess my question is: is there anybody out there willing to listen to something like that?
Books in other Southslavic languages are an option as well, since we can all understand each other well. And a bunch of us live all across the world, so maybe it would be a good idea.
Anybody? :)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It is usually one of the challenges with a language that is not as widely spread as, say, English or Spanish -- to find a proof-listener. Another challenge to consider is the existence of an electronic form of the book, and yet another is that the book has to be in public domain (at least in the US) to be stored in LV catalog.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi and welcome to librivox!

reading in serbian? yes please :mrgreen:

tovarisch already outlined the course, but let me expand on that:

1. the book: you need to find a text source that is public domain in the united states, and, if you are outside the united states, public domain where you are. the united states have a very illogical copyright system which i dont like to expand on, but generally, everything published in 1922 or earlier is in the public domain. serbia probably follows the european rule that the author and translator have to be dead for at least 70 years. so this means, you need to find a book published in or before 1922, by an author who is dead since at least 1946.
2. best get started with some little experience. the very first thing to do is to complete the test recording to make sure your software is set up correctly. once that is out of the way the rest is easy :) then you could read a couple of poems for us to get to know the system, so that you know how librivox works. it isnt hard or anything, but you learn easier by recoding short pieces with a group.

as tovarisch said, we have small communities at librivox in languages other than english. that shouldnt stop you though. once someone starts reading and gets the ball rolling, more readers from that language might find their way to librivox and the language group can grow :)

let us know if you have any questions so that we can get this project underway!
Carolin
Marfil

Post by Marfil »

Ok there, thank you for the infos. Since I live in Austria, should I respect their copyright laws? Or Serbian, since the books are there to be found.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Actually, Austria and Serbia both seem to follow the same rule: the texts are free of copyright if the author has been dead for at least 70 years
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

yes, i figured most of europe are following the eu rules (even non member countries as far as i can see).

so the book you want was published in 1922 or earlier, and the author has passed in 1946 or earlier.

do you think you can find a book that meets this description? :)
there are a couple of texts here: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/sr
Carolin
Marfil

Post by Marfil »

Ok, great, plenty to choose from then :) I would take a short story to test the reading.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

We have multilingual collections as ongoing projects (current is here), you could add your reading there.

Before you embark on reading a short story, do a 1-minute test just to see that your settings are OK.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
carteki

Post by carteki »

Hello and welcome to Librivox.

Could you do me a big favour and check the audio of the Serbian version of the Declaration of Human Rights to the text? The audio file is in this post as well as the link to the text.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=62306

Many thanks
Kim