[FRENCH] [SOLO] Vingt ans après by Alexandre Dumas

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
DanielDeronda

Post by DanielDeronda »

Vingt ans après by Alexandre Dumas (1802 - 1870).

• Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13952
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

[MW]xxxx[/MW]
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Project Code: TUGFHVz0
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Alexandre Dumas) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Years_After
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 98
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    • Original publication date (if known): 1845
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Historical Fiction; General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900; Action & Adventure Fiction

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Vingt ans après. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Vingt ans après, by Alexandre Dumas. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Vingt ans après by Alexandre Dumas. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Vingt ans après, by Alexandre Dumas."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename solo[french]vingtansaprès_##_dumas.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. solo[french]vingtansaprès_01_dumas.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: Alexandre Dumas
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Vingt ans après

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome to LibriVox
We don't usually recommend people start with such a long first project - The English translation is 25 hours of recordings - and usually the original is equal or longer than the translation.
The template is fine but it's better to use the French one , you don't really want to read all the introductions etc in English - there is a language option in the template generator
However I would suggest you did the "1 minute test" - it's not an audition , just a way for you to get the technical bits as we need them - it's much better than trying to mess about with a "live" recording. The instructions are in your welcome email and in the guides for listeners linked at the top of the page, there are versions in French there.

Anne
DanielDeronda

Post by DanielDeronda »

Hi! I'm sorry about the template being in English. Should I repost it in French? I will submit the 1 minute test a little later. As for the length of the project, I was only planning on finishing it perhaps beginning of 2017, I set January 1st as a date. Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmm. You're talking about doing 98 chapters in the next 60 days or so? That would work out to (rough figures) about 2.75 hours of work recording and editing, every single day, including weekends and holidays, for the next 60 days. :shock:

Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing - even on a small solo, not a giant like this one. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
DanielDeronda

Post by DanielDeronda »

Ok I definitely see what you mean Tricia and no I didn't expect it to take me 2.75 hours per day I must have underestimated largely. Perhaps I could start recording on my own, maybe do half and then I'll post again about this? I don't mind you deleting this post. Let's say I do about 50 chapters on my own, I'll see how long that takes me and I can give a better estimate afterwards. I realize that a large percentage of people going into this must quit, so perhaps doing half on my own first will convince you. I will say that while this is my first time posting here, I do usually read out loud and record myself to listen to while I run, am in the bus, etc. The thing about the group reads was that though it looked very fun I thought it looked a bit more complicated haha :oops: but I'll look into those more deeply also. Thank you for your feedback and knowledgeable advice it is very much appreciated :lol:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

please - don't do that.
I see you are doing the test :clap: :clap: which is great
If you look over here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22757 you will see we have already 6 part finished french books abandoned , with little chance they will ever be finished - and there should be 7 , I'm sitting on another one at the moment.
So we want French readers - we'd like enough for it to be possible to maybe do a play or run a group project.
But none of those readers with abandoned solos are likely to come back, :cry:
So I'd like you to try a short story or something , maybe a Christmas story for the Christmas collection or a carol if you are a singer.
But if this is what you really want to do , it doesn't matter if it takes longer, just post a French version of the template and read the first chapter so it can be PLed and you know the intros and outros are right.
I'll leave this thread so you don't have to look up your links and things again. After I know you have seen this we will move it to Book suggestions and delete it after you have posted it in French

Anne
DanielDeronda

Post by DanielDeronda »

Hello Anne! Thanks for answering! I will try and do a short story, I'm not much of a singer unfortunately. I'll look into what I could find that's interesteing and come back to you with that! If that works out and I'll have learned how to do things properly, perhaps I'll move on to a longer project 8-) Thanks again

David