[FRENCH] Older book suggestions in French

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi, Ellis!

I might actually consider recording it (not for some time as I have a lot on my plate lately).
Would you offer to prooflisten?

There actually are several editions available on Gallica2.bnf.fr, from 1789, 1806, 1895, ...
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
eli_christoff

Post by eli_christoff »

Hello, Ezwa!

I am sure I would listen to your recording with immense benefit and pleasure, but - the fact of the matter being that I am a beginner in French - I could hardly offer any proof listening at all here, unless... it should take you a couple of years to get the rest of what's on your plate quite done away with! :)

Thank you for the links included, I have sought such for a long time.

I do hope your to-read list should prove shorter than my learning abilities!
“There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.” -- Elizabeth Lawrence
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Ellis,

I hope it won't be in two years time.
But as the list of books I'd like to record is getting bigger and bigger and my time, to the contrary, tighter and tighter, you might very well be fluent in French by the time I get started ;) (not sure you'd need to be to prooflisten though).

I'll let you know anyway.

See you around!
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »

eli_christoff

Post by eli_christoff »

ezwa wrote:Hi Ellis,

I hope it won't be in two years time.
Thank you for keeping my hope alive, Ezwa!
But as the list of books I'd like to record is getting bigger and bigger and my time, to the contrary, tighter and tighter, you might very well be fluent in French by the time I get started ;) (not sure you'd need to be to prooflisten though).
No worries here - this is a natural state when wish-lists are growing and our hands are getting farther and farther from them. You see, plans are made to be pushed into reality or... rather push US into it!

Come to think of it, I now believe - and not solely to encourage you! - that I could start proof-listening this instant, and - believe me! - I am going to be very serious, text in hand, following every syllable pronounced and even repeating it aloud! This is going to be a real proof-learning of French.
I'll let you know anyway.
Thank you! By the by, is there any difference between the French spoken in Belgium and ... to the South of Belgium?
“There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.” -- Elizabeth Lawrence
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Hi Ellis,
eli_christoff wrote:... This is going to be a real proof-learning of French.
It would be a way to learn, indeed.
eli_christoff wrote:... By the by, is there any difference between the French spoken in Belgium and ... to the South of Belgium?
Euh... What do you mean by the French spoken in Belgium and the one spoken in the South of Belgium?
Ezwa

Boileau

eli_christoff

Post by eli_christoff »

I mean the French of France...
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

eli_christoff wrote:I mean the French of France...
Oh! Now I understand the "to the".
I got confused as French is spoken in the South of Belgium (Dutch/Flemish is spoken in the North) and that part came to my mind when reading "South of Belgium".

Well, there are some expressions that you'll find in Belgium which are not used in France (but than, the same can be said between different regions in France and even Belgium itself, though it is small).
The main differences I can think of are the way we say 70 (septante in Belgium, soixante-dix in France) and 90 (nonante in Belgium, quatre-vingt-dix in France) and the way we pronounce the letter "w" (for instance, the word wagon is read "vagon" in France, "ouagon" in Belgium).
Other than that, nothing much comes to my mind.

As for the accents, there is a variety. Some are typically Belgian, others are similar to some French accents.

Did I answer your question?

Good evening!
Ezwa

Boileau

eli_christoff

Post by eli_christoff »

Thank you, Ezwa! That sounds encouraging to a foreign listener. I am most grateful to you!
eli_christoff

Post by eli_christoff »

This is one of my favourite melodies (not off-topic here!):

http://www.coucoucircus.org/series/generique.php?id=960

E.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Lovely, Ellis.
Ezwa

Boileau

hefyd

Post by hefyd »

If one of our Francophone contributors could read Manon Lescaut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manon_Lescaut
for us, it would be a great addition to the catalogue-it's a famous, and much-set [Puccini for one] book, and in my opinion completely misunderstood if regarded as a love story.It's also quite short ! hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
Aldor

Post by Aldor »

It's a nice book but a long one too. I can participate but I cannot be alone to do it.

Thanks for the idea.
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

I'd be game. But not before mid/end of June, at the earliest.

Text links: http://gallica2.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k2049492.r=manon+lescaut.langFR or
http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Manon_Lescaut .
I trust Gallica's more even thought the one on wikisource is handier.
Ezwa

Boileau

mremark

Post by mremark »

I would like to volunteer to read this short novel in French.
[FRENCH] Les Dimanches d'Un Bourgeois de Paris - Maupassant

I haven't read for LibriVox.org yet. Should I start with an English book since my first language is English. I can read French though as well but my accent isn't as pure as a Francophone.

Let me know. I'm eager to read!

thanks,
melissa
Didier

Post by Didier »

mremark wrote:I would like to volunteer to read this short novel in French.

I haven't read for LibriVox.org yet. Should I start with an English book since my first language is English. I can read French though as well but my accent isn't as pure as a Francophone.

Let me know. I'm eager to read!

thanks,
melissa
Bienvenue, Melissa !

I'd say if you're eager to read, just read--and record of course ;-)
Go ahead! (Besides, Maupassant is a very good choice :D )

Bonne soirée !
Didier
[i]I called the project a book, but in fact it wasn't a book at all.[/i] [size=75](Paul Auster: The Brooklyn Follies)[/size]