[RUSSIAN] Jabotinsky, anyone?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

I have already started recording essays by Vladimir (Zeev) Jabotinsky (1880-1940), and I'm inviting collaborators. (continued in Russian):

Приглашаю к сотрудничеству: :help:
- звукооператора, координатора
- кого-то опытного в Librivox'e
- кого-то, кто разберется что в PD, а что пока еще нет.
- чтецов!

ПРЕДУПРЕЖДЕНИЕ: Если Вы о Жаботинском ничего не знаете, то сначала почитайте
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%96%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B8%D0%B9,_%D0%92%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%80_%D0%95%D0%B2%D0%B3%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%8C%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B8%D1%87

Присоединяйтесь!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I am not a Russian speaker, so of no help with that, but I would urge you most strongly first to do a soundcheck recording to ensure all the technical aspects are correct if you intend your recordings to be submitted here. It is heartbreaking for someone to spend many hours recording, and then to find that the recordings are unusable. :(

See: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Google Translate wrote:Invite you to cooperate :: help:
- Sound engineer, coordinator
- Someone experienced in Librivox'e
- Someone who will understand that in PD, and that it is still not.
- Readers!

WARNING: If you are on Jabotinsky do not know anything, you first read...
The PD part is easy. I assume he was published in Russia? Then, record works ONLY that were published in 1922 or earlier. :)

Readers are basically their own sound engineers. I second Ruthie's recommendation to do the test - we'll help you get your settings to a good level and sound, so you won't need a separate sound engineer.

We have very, very few Russian-speakers here. I recommend posting your short work recordings in the Multilingual Short Works collection rather than waiting for others to record enough to fill a standalone project. :) Here is the current project: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=42703
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Здравствуйте Mark san,
karlkuzmich wrote:I have already started recording essays by Vladimir (Zeev) Jabotinsky (1880-1940),
I wonder if you can spare one short essay for Multilingual Short Works Collection.

I think this will also help you to find proof listeners and other Russian readers.

Cheers,
Masa
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

ekzemplaro wrote:Здравствуйте Mark san,
karlkuzmich wrote:I have already started recording essays by Vladimir (Zeev) Jabotinsky (1880-1940),
I wonder if you can spare one short essay for Multilingual Short Works Collection.

I think this will also help you to find proof listeners and other Russian readers.

Cheers,
Masa
Dear Masa san,

Thank you for the invitation, I'd be happy to, however I'm not proficient in the LibriVox process.
What I've recorded was planned for a different collection, but recently I decided to expand my reach. This weekend I'll record the prefix / affix for LibriVox and will try to submit.

--Mark
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm confused. Was your first post not for LibriVox projects, but something else?
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Mark san,

There are several complicated rules for sound format, volume, ID3 tags etc.
So please select a short one as your first recording for LibriVox.
You need time to learn LibriVox System.

Cheers,
Masa
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

TriciaG wrote:I'm confused. Was your first post not for LibriVox projects, but something else?

Hello Tricia,

Thank you for your help. Maybe it's me who is confused... :? I was thinking about sharing my recordings between different projects.
By definition, all LibriVox projects are in the public domain, so there should be no problem, is that right?

I see a small problem however. LibriVox requires me to record at 128 kbps. I record at 32 kbps -- it makes no difference for speech, but saves download time and space on servers and disks for hardcopies (a single CD can hold almost 50 hours of speech at 32 kbps). Will I have to upsample everything I have already recorded, in addition to prepending / appending the LV disclaimer?

To avoid further confusion and in response to your previous response:
1. Jabotinsky have lived and published his works in many countries, but not in the Soviet Russia, so the copyright status might be trickier than that.
2. I am not exactly inexperienced reader; my voice can be heard on Youtube and private projects, it's LibriVox where I am a rookie...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, okay! That's fine, using the files elsewhere.

Yes, we require 128 kbps because that's what Archive.org (who hosts our files) requires in order to derive the other formats.

Regarding copyright status: the 1922 date is the safest rule-of-thumb for works published outside of the USA. It gets really tricky and hard to determine copyright for works published in 1923 or later. And since we have no copyright experts and no budget to hire any, we are sticking with that cutoff date for works published outside the USA. :) Hope this clarifies!
Cori

Post by Cori »

karlkuzmich wrote:Thank you for your help. Maybe it's me who is confused... :? I was thinking about sharing my recordings between different projects.
By definition, all LibriVox projects are in the public domain, so there should be no problem, is that right?
Just to be clear, because I'm a little confused too -- it's completely fine to use recordings both for LibriVox and in other projects online. But you can't submit the *same* recording to *multiple* projects here at LibriVox.

So, you would be very welcome to submit these essays to the Multilingual Short Works project (which would seem like a good home for a few of them.) But if you planned to do a larger collection of Jabotinsky readings, that would make a separate project and you couldn't reuse recordings already sent to the Short Works project.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Cori wrote:So, you would be very welcome to submit these essays to the Multilingual Short Works project (which would seem like a good home for a few of them.) But if you planned to do a larger collection of Jabotinsky readings, that would make a separate project and you couldn't reuse recordings already sent to the Short Works project.
Oh, thank you, Cori, for the heads up :!:
Then I'll submit something different for the Short Works because I hope to include this essay in a bigger project here.
jenya

Post by jenya »

karlkuzmich wrote:I have already started recording essays by Vladimir (Zeev) Jabotinsky (1880-1940), and I'm inviting collaborators. (continued in Russian):

Приглашаю к сотрудничеству: :help:
- звукооператора, координатора
- кого-то опытного в Librivox'e
- кого-то, кто разберется что в PD, а что пока еще нет.
- чтецов!

Присоединяйтесь!
Я бы не прочь чего-нибудь зачитать, но что-то сам персонаж мне не очень нравится...
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

jenya wrote: Я бы не прочь чего-нибудь зачитать, но что-то сам персонаж мне не очень нравится...
Если не нравится, то зачем же...
Придумайте что Вам нравится, и приглашайте меня :)