[PD French Only] The Mighty Orinoco by Jules Verne

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

The Mighty Orinoco, by Jules Verne, is an adventure story set on the Orinoco river in Venezuela. It tells the intertwining stories of Jean de Kermor, a young man travling on the river in search of his missing father, the two explorers Jacques Helloch and Germaine Patterne who are traveling on the river to collect scientific information, and three scholars, Messiers Filip, Varinas, and Miguel, who are traveling on the river to settle once and for all their hilarious debate about the Orinoco's true source. Also thrown into the mix are an escaped convict, a blustering sargeant, and a mysterious missionary. These stories intersect cleverly and together make up a spectacular adventure tale in true Verne style.

This book is not available from Project Gutenberg, so I am not certain that it is in the PD in English, but if it is, it would make a great LibriVox project. Hope there's someone who'd like to BC it and will let me read some chapters. :)
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Per Wikipedia, the English translation was published in 2002.

It could be done in its original French, though.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

According to http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/v/verne/jules/index.html#english the English translation was not published until 2002 and the Google book says the English one is copyright . Someone would need to find an English translation pre 1923 for us to be able to record it.

Anne
look what happens when you answer the phone mid reply :D