[GREEK] Homer 'The Odyssey' or 'The Iliad' In original lang.

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Leonidas

Post by Leonidas »

As anyone ever suggested this ?. Not that i have the knowledge to pronounce such mighty tomes in the correct fashion. In fact any of the Ancient Greek philosophers or playwrights works would be interesting. I have been told by many scholars that you cannot appreciate the beauty and skill of the writing until heard or read in the original language. I don't know what anyone else thinks ?.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Leonidas wrote:As anyone ever suggested this ?. Not that i have the knowledge to pronounce such mighty tomes in the correct fashion. In fact any of the Ancient Greek philosophers or playwrights works would be interesting. I have been told by many scholars that you cannot appreciate the beauty and skill of the writing until heard or read in the original language. I don't know what anyone else thinks ?.
Hi,

Book 6 is already underway in the original actually. ;)

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23514&highlight=

As well as the whole book in Latin:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=463512#463512

Have you tried searching by language in the catalog?

Also see: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28623 a project to record an Ancient Greek grammar.

Regards,
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
Leonidas

Post by Leonidas »

I didn't notice those. I do apologise.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Don't apologise - it takes quite a while to learn your way around the forum and the catalogue - it's all rather large now. ;) The search facility is soon to be upgraded to make it easier to use.

But you are in good company here - we have quite a few ardent classicists. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Leonidas wrote:I didn't notice those. I do apologise.
As Ruth said above, the advanced search isn't very obvious. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. No need to apologise.

We're glad to have you here! :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
Leonidas

Post by Leonidas »

I don't feel as silly now. Wow the catalogue grows at some rate.
Marilianus

Post by Marilianus »

Hello Leonidas,

Very good that You are interested in the ancient languages! I may add that pella makes some great recordings of the bible in ancient greek, she pronounces greek in the way modern greeks do - very interesting also.

The librivox´policy is that no one is critizised for his pronunciation if it is in any way consistent, so I would like to encourage You if You feel able to read something in Greek. You can make a test recording, if You want.

Hope we hear from You

:D Christoph
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

I think I'll put this one up,if someone's prepared to BC it.I had it in mind as a collaborative project, at least initially. It'll take a fair old time, but I think we should try. hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Book 4, at 847 lines is the longest book in the Odyssey [the shortest book is book 6, at 331 lines]. The average length of the books of the Odyssey is 504 lines, and the whole Odyssey has 12,105 lines. The Iliad is slightly longer, in all 15,682 lines. The longest book in the Iliad is book 5, with 909 lines, and the shortest is book 19, with 424 lines. The average length of the books of the Iliad is 653 lines. The length of the Iliad and Odyssey combined is 27,787 lines. I estimate, at a speed of roughly 11 lines a minute, that it will take about 18 hours to read the whole Odyssey. hefyd
anon.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

hefyd wrote:Book 4, at 847 lines is the longest book in the Odyssey [the shortest book is book 6, at 331 lines]. The average length of the books of the Odyssey is 504 lines, and the whole Odyssey has 12,105 lines. The Iliad is slightly longer, in all 15,682 lines. The longest book in the Iliad is book 5, with 909 lines, and the shortest is book 19, with 424 lines. The average length of the books of the Iliad is 653 lines. The length of the Iliad and Odyssey combined is 27,787 lines. I estimate, at a speed of roughly 11 lines a minute, that it will take about 18 hours to read the whole Odyssey. hefyd
Do you mean to re-do Book 6 as part of this or do you mean just to do the rest of the books?
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Book 6 is fine; we might want to do it again, or we could just stitch the parts together.We won't have to worry about it though until we've done the other 23.I'm inclined to release the individual books one by one, but it's probably easier administratively to do the whole thing as one project. hefyd
anon.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

hefyd wrote:Book 6 is fine; we might want to do it again, or we could just stitch the parts together.We won't have to worry about it though until we've done the other 23.I'm inclined to release the individual books one by one, but it's probably easier administratively to do the whole thing as one project. hefyd
I think if you do it as one project, Book 6 should be re-recorded. It would be simpler administratively, of couse, to do the book as one project. However, the advantage of doing each book on its own is that the books will be available to the listening public earlier. Book 6 took quite a while to complete, so imagine how long the whole Odyssey will take. So if it's done as one project, it won't be released for a long time. It's a longer term commitment for the MC and BC.

Since you've already released one book, you might want to continue with each book individually. Do you want to start with Book 1?
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

Do you want to start with Book 1?
Aye,but I wasn't thinking of doing these books in the same way as we did book 6 - I would simply read book 1 myself. If anyone else wanted to claim a book, they would be welcome.hefyd
anon.