Any Russian-speaking readers around?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
karlkuzmich

Post by karlkuzmich » September 29th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Airyssa wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 2:41 pm
May be Saltikov-Shedrin, Leskov?
Sure! Let us know if you need any help!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский

gardariki

Post by gardariki » October 27th, 2018, 3:55 am

Hi everyone,
My name is Lena and I look forward to contributing to Librivox' Russian collection. I have some questions before I get started, so please if anybody could clarify this for me... :)

1) Do I understand it correctly that any classic Russian text will be good for the 1-minute test (since there is none recommended on the site)? Is it OK if I take an excerpt from, say, "Капитанская дочка" by Pushkin?

2) The copyright / public domain issue is still not very clear to me. Do we follow the US law here (anything published before 1923 is free)? or can I, for example, read something free according to the current Russian law (life plus 70 years for authors, 50 years for publishers)?

3) I cannot see any open collaborative projects in Russian, maybe I just don't know where to look... anyway, I cannot start a solo book reading before I contribite to a group project, is that correct?

Thanks.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » October 27th, 2018, 5:46 am

Hello Lena,

Welcome to LibriVox! Good to have you join us. :)

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, perfectly OK to read the test in any language you prefer. It would be nice if the text had some hard 'p's and 'f's, to see how your microphone setup handles potential "plosives". The only requirement is that the text/fragment is in the Public Domain.

2) Yes, we do follow the US law because the final production files are kept in the US. In addition, you are to adhere to any local laws while recording in that locality.

3) No, that's not correct. There are so few of us here that a collaborative project in Russian is rare (I don't recall any). You can/may start a solo if you are up to it, a suggestion to join a group project is just so you can learn the process without too much to handle at once. One reasonable collaborative contribution you could make is to the current "multi-lingual short works collection".

Do ask any other questions you might have, we'll be happy to help.

Again, welcome, and hope to hear you around soon!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

karlkuzmich

Post by karlkuzmich » October 27th, 2018, 6:29 am

Hello, Lena, and welcome to LV!
1 and 2: The LV follows the US laws, so yes, anything published before 1923, unless you can prove the copyrights expired, but that is difficult for Russian texts.
3. Correct, there are no active collaborative projects in Russian, AFAIK (I have one in mind, poetry, let me know if interested), but you could contribute to a multi-lingual project. You are welcome to start a solo project, but I think the best way to start is to join a dramatic production in English, you would get a lot of useful feedback and quickly learn the ropes.
Feel free to ask for help here or in PM, and good luck!
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский