Any Russian-speaking readers around?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Matvevna

Post by Matvevna »

Perfect!
Thanks for your answers!

I'll check sources you've advised and definatelly will find smth interesting to record. I'm not very afraid of those old Russian letters it's just a matter of practise :-)

I'm now in the process of finding good Android application for voice recording and create my first minute :-) Btw maybe you know any good Russian text for mic test. Similiar to that about Peter Piper on LV? :hmm: :D
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It does not really matter what you read as long as it contains 'p's, 'f's, 't's, and some other characters that can cause plosives. The text needs to be in public domain, so please don't read from a yesterday's newspaper ;-)

As far as looking for an Android app, good luck! You may be able to record, but what are you going to do for editing? I don't want to rain on your parade, but I've not seen any recordings here claimed to have been made entirely on Android platform. You're going to be much better off setting up a Mac or a PC as your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Matvevna wrote: July 8th, 2018, 1:36 pm I'm now in the process of finding good Android application for voice recording and create my first minute :-) Btw maybe you know any good Russian text for mic test. Similiar to that about Peter Piper on LV? :hmm: :D
I think, the first quatrain of Pushkin's Pamyatnik is perfect for the test.
I tried to use Android, I couldn't find a good app. for my (admittedly old and cheap) one.
1. I had to put it in the airplane mode.
2. None of them records in the mp3 format, had to convert.
Any modern tablet or laptop, PC or Mac has a decent mic, I think, and could do a passable job.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Matvevna

Post by Matvevna »

Здравствуйте! 🙂 Вот такая книжечка, интересно, пройдет как Public Domain?
http://az.lib.ru/a/andersen_g_h/text_1122_ulitka_i_rozovyj_kust.shtml
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Matvevna wrote: July 12th, 2018, 12:33 pm Здравствуйте! Вот такая книжечка, интересно, пройдет как Public Domain?
http://az.lib.ru/a/andersen_g_h/text_1122_ulitka_i_rozovyj_kust.shtml
Что лучше, посчитать подходящей и влететь в нарушение прав на копирование или посчитать неподходящей и не записать эту сказку с этой странички?

Я не уверен в ответе. Чьи права могут быть нарушены? На страничке сказано: "Обновлено: 14/03/2015" (то есть недавно). Ещё сказано, что "OCR, spell check и перевод в современную орфографию" - от некоего сайта. Здесь-то и зарыто сомнение: защищён ли перевод на современную орфографию законом по охране прав? Нигде на странице нет записи о том, что этот текст - в общественном достоянии...

Если же посчитать этот источник неподходящим, то что плохого? Придётся пользоваться другими...

Для того, чтобы наши админы приняли учатстие в этом обсуждении, его надо вести на английском.
tovarisch
Matvevna

Post by Matvevna »

Да уж, выбор честно говоря не большой....

So in order to be 100% sure that the text is under Public Domain in USA we should use 1922 year or earlier edition, right?

What is the best way to search for a PD text on above sites you've mentioned (or others)? Only a year? Or are there any other criterias that indicates that text is in PD (also for later editions)?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Matvevna wrote: July 14th, 2018, 6:27 am Да уж, выбор честно говоря не большой....

So in order to be 100% sure that the text is under Public Domain in USA we should use 1922 year or earlier edition, right?

What is the best way to search for a PD text on above sites you've mentioned (or others)? Only a year? Or are there any other criterias that indicates that text is in PD (also for later editions)?
Fun, eh? I've dug through some copyright law explanations and found that all the books published by Academy of Sciences of USSR in 1960s (from which texts you can find now most of Russian classics on 'lib.ru' and similar sites) if not in the Public Domain simply because it was done by the government for the public, then because USSR wasn't party to Bern Convention at the time. But to convince our admins of that is another story.

Yes, if you can read from the editions available on archive.org (scanned), you're going to be in the clear.

I know of no other criteria with which our admins will agree, except the date of publication. Sad. :roll: I've effectively stopped reading in Russian because of that. I may start again - I am in the middle of Goncharov's Obryv translated (crappily), and I wanted to record the original, which I could only find in a 1916 edition, which should be acceptable. It's the pre-reform orthography, but I think I can persevere.
tovarisch
Matvevna

Post by Matvevna »

Then I hope this book will not raise any objections :D
https://archive.org/details/peterburgskiy_sbornik_1922
The quality of scans will make me struggle a bit...but I'll try :)
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

That would be perfect!
If you wish, I could be your BC / PL (book coordinator / proof listener), let me know!
Airyssa

Post by Airyssa »

I can read books in Russian langage. For example, books of Arkadiy Gaydar.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Airyssa wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:19 am I can read books in Russian langage. For example, books of Arkadiy Gaydar.
Welcome to LV, Airyssa, we do need readers and proof-listeners in Russian.
Unfortunately, Gaydar's books are not in the Public Domain, and therefore won't be acceptable for LV :-(, but there are others.
The rule of thumb: the book must be published no later than 1922 and be present on the Internet.
Airyssa

Post by Airyssa »

May be Saltikov-Shedrin, Leskov?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Airyssa wrote: September 28th, 2018, 2:41 pm May be Saltikov-Shedrin, Leskov?
Highly likely :wink:
tovarisch
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Airyssa wrote: September 28th, 2018, 2:41 pm May be Saltikov-Shedrin, Leskov?
Sure! Let us know if you need any help!
gardariki

Post by gardariki »

Hi everyone,
My name is Lena and I look forward to contributing to Librivox' Russian collection. I have some questions before I get started, so please if anybody could clarify this for me... :)

1) Do I understand it correctly that any classic Russian text will be good for the 1-minute test (since there is none recommended on the site)? Is it OK if I take an excerpt from, say, "Капитанская дочка" by Pushkin?

2) The copyright / public domain issue is still not very clear to me. Do we follow the US law here (anything published before 1923 is free)? or can I, for example, read something free according to the current Russian law (life plus 70 years for authors, 50 years for publishers)?

3) I cannot see any open collaborative projects in Russian, maybe I just don't know where to look... anyway, I cannot start a solo book reading before I contribite to a group project, is that correct?

Thanks.