Any Russian-speaking readers around?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: October 13th, 2021, 12:08 pm Hi Mark! Would you place an add? You have a sign "~" in the title of the project, so I assume you accept any help form a not too dedicated PL, right?
Thank you, Hanna! Sure, I would thankfully take any PL help, and I believe the tilde (~) means just that.
Please pre-claim sections for PL because Nastya is helping too! :9:
:?: Sorry, what does "place an add" mean :?:
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

There is Listeners and editors wanted section in Board index. Some other adds are already there. We could attract smb new, not ready to record yet, but willing to PL :wink:
I'll keep an eye on your project and will support it whenever Nastya is not able to PL.
Thank you
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Hello! Maybe someone knows the reason a book may not be in the PD when it was published in 1904 and the author died more than 70 years ago (in 1906)? Can it be something to do with its later publications?
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ShiNeko wrote: October 25th, 2021, 3:03 am Hello! Maybe someone knows the reason a book may not be in the PD when it was published in 1904 and the author died more than 70 years ago (in 1906)? Can it be something to do with its later publications?
If it was published in 1904, that particular edition should be PD in the US. Is there something to make you think that it's not? Other countries have different copyright laws, and LV contributors who are not located in the US are asked to check the laws of their own country.

Misha
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

ShiNeko wrote: October 25th, 2021, 3:03 am Hello! Maybe someone knows the reason a book may not be in the PD when it was published in 1904 and the author died more than 70 years ago (in 1906)? Can it be something to do with its later publications?
What about other contributors, like editors and illustrators, who might have lived longer? In any case, the book must be PD in the USA.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
HannaPonomarenko

Hi! Do you mean the US PD?
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Kazbek wrote: October 25th, 2021, 5:09 am If it was published in 1904, that particular edition should be PD in the US. Is there something to make you think that it's not? Other countries have different copyright laws, and LV contributors who are not located in the US are asked to check the laws of their own country.
Hello Misha! Yeah, it is PD in the US, but for my country Google Books says the access is restricted, but in actuality before the 2001 we had +50 years (so all the works which became in the PD before 2001 are left in the PD), but either way he died long ago. And his other works are some in the PD and some are not. That is why I am confused.

This is the book.
~Anastasiia
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

chulsky wrote: October 25th, 2021, 7:35 am What about other contributors, like editors and illustrators, who might have lived longer? In any case, the book must be PD in the USA.
Might be the case, Mark. I don't know who the editors were so I can't check. Can one not use the text when the illustrations in the book are not in the PD? It is not like one uses the illustrations.

I just wonder when it will be PD for me then.
~Anastasiia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ShiNeko wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:14 am Hello Misha! Yeah, it is PD in the US, but for my country Google Books says the access is restricted, but in actuality before the 2001 we had +50 years (so all the works which became in the PD before 2001 are left in the PD), but either way he died long ago. And his other works are some in the PD and some are not. That is why I am confused.

This is the book.
Google Books often restricts international access without a discernible reason. I wouldn't interpret this as saying anything about PD status. If you want, I can upload the PDF to my Google Drive for you.

Michael
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Kazbek wrote: October 25th, 2021, 12:18 pm Google Books often restricts international access without a discernible reason. I wouldn't interpret this as saying anything about PD status. If you want, I can upload the PDF to my Google Drive for you.
I'll appreciate it, Michael. :9:
~Anastasiia
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ShiNeko wrote: October 25th, 2021, 12:25 pm
Kazbek wrote: October 25th, 2021, 12:18 pm Google Books often restricts international access without a discernible reason. I wouldn't interpret this as saying anything about PD status. If you want, I can upload the PDF to my Google Drive for you.
I'll appreciate it, Michael. :9:
Here you go, Nastya: 8-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xwbhQjQVCWx_og9K9ltRmpp9HBGVsDhY/view

Misha
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Kazbek wrote: October 25th, 2021, 8:47 pm Here you go, Nastya: 8-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xwbhQjQVCWx_og9K9ltRmpp9HBGVsDhY/view

Misha
Hurray! Thanks a bunch. :clap:
~Anastasiia
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Hello, sacapsie!
sacapsie wrote: October 7th, 2021, 8:09 am Hmm, I've seen those around, but to be honest, I don't quite see the point of them. There might be polyglots out there who can understand every one of those languages in every collection, or maybe people who just enjoy listening to voices and don't care if they can understand what's being read... And more power to them!
Multilingual Short Works Collection does not imply listening to the whole collection. It, in my opinion, exists more for the following purposes: it gives chance to languages with a small group of volunteers or even when there is only one volunteer here; or when a reader wants to record some poem or a story but there is no desire or no possibility in recording the whole book with it, or if there is no full book to begin with (like there are children books with only one or two fairytales in them which is not enough for a Solo project, periodicals, papers, journals). These recordings can still be found in catalog search via its title, author and language, so there is no need in looking through all the Multilingual Collections.
sacapsie wrote: October 7th, 2021, 8:09 am But I'd rather contribute to the sort of thing that I can see the value of. For these multi-version poetry collections, I like seeing different interpretations of a poem, and they nicely highlight differences in dialects, so I find them cool. But if there aren't enough volunteers around, that's the end of that idea :)
If you are still up for this, I wish to BC this Poetry Project. But for the paucity of Russian speaking volunteers it can be active for a month. First things first, we should choose a poem to record, before creating a project.
sacapsie wrote: October 6th, 2021, 1:02 pm I woke up the other day with "О сколько нам открытий чудных готовят просвещенья дух, и опыт, и т д" stuck in my head. That's just 5 lines--maybe a good one to kick off with?
I personally find this one rather short. Even the disclaimer might be longer than this one or at least have about the same duration which makes it not that pleasant to listen to multiple times. Would have chosen something a bit longer like "Пророк" by Pushkin. But I am open for more offers.
~Anastasiia
HannaPonomarenko

I think Двенадцать by Александр Блок is great and more convenient, because it's long and thus less people may be required to get 30 min or so final recording.
sacapsie

Post by sacapsie »

ShiNeko wrote: December 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm If you are still up for this, I wish to BC this Poetry Project. But for the paucity of Russian speaking volunteers it can be active for a month. First things first, we should choose a poem to record, before creating a project.

I personally find this one rather short. Even the disclaimer might be longer than this one or at least have about the same duration which makes it not that pleasant to listen to multiple times. Would have chosen something a bit longer like "Пророк" by Pushkin. But I am open for more offers.
You've convinced me that it's a dumb idea, and that there isn't much enthusiasm for it :) I've since rerouted my energies elsewhere. If someone starts a multi-version poetry project for a poem that appeals to me, I might contribute. But there are so many gaps in the catalog here that probably should be filled before that. There is hardly any Chekhov, Gogol, many others that both native Russian listeners and second-language learners might appreciate.

Poetry is nice for newbie readers such as myself because the meter makes it easier to deal with the pre-revolutionary orthography (which tbh still trips me up when I try to read it out loud in prose). And it's usually short. So it's a bit less intimidating than some of the current open projects. the Афанасьев collection is pretty frightening. I read it as a kid (in a different edition, Soviet-era) and don't remember it being quite this hard.

You're right that О сколько нам открытий... is short, but FYI, the English multi-version recordings of poems use a shortened disclaimer, created for this specific purpose:

[TITLE] by {AUTHOR}, read for librivox.org by [your name].

Here's an example of how these work:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=90360

And there are over a thousand of these in the catalog, if you want to hear the finished ones. I promise, they are fun. But, as I said, I've given up and moved on to other things, so we can drop this.