Any Russian-speaking readers around?

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Vaddy san,

You are talking about Vladimir Vladimirovich Mayakovsky (Влади́мир Влади́мирович Маяко́вский) (1893-1930). Right?

Then look
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Information_about_copyright_rules#Russia

>> Literary works of Russian origin whose authors died on or before 31st December 1952
>> are in the public domain in the United States.

So if you read his work in Russian, I suppose it's in PD.

Am I right? Can somebody confirm this?

Cheers,
Masa
Cori

Post by Cori »

As long as the edition read from was published before that date (so there's no confusion about later editing) that would sound reasonable to me. But we check books on a case-by-case basis, so it can be fully confirmed if the project gets off the ground. I'm not completely sure about how the Berne Convention is applied, and personally prefer to stick to books published before 1923, since they are incontrovertible.

I actually came here to drop off this list of Russian texts online ... I don't have time at the mo. to add the relevant ones to the wiki.

http://readrussia2012.com/resources/existing-web-resources-russian-and-english
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Akula

Post by Akula »

Hello,

my name is Alina, I am new here and i would like to participate in a group-project if there is one. I am a Russian native speaker and would like to read for Librivox, but as far as I can see all the posts are rather old, so I'm wondering if there is someone who currently works on a book in Russian and would like me to join?

Otherwise i will think about what book I would like to read personally, and of course do the 1-minute-test reading before I start on a project.

Also, how do i search for all projects (completed or ongoing) in Russian?

Thanks,
Alina
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

Hello! My name is Grace. I just finished my first year of Russian at Portland State University. Eventually, I'd love to try recording in Russian! My accent and reading fluency probably won't be good enough for another year or two, but does anyone know of any poems I could practice with? I memorized a short Alexander Block poem for class, but I'm not sure if it's PD. It started with "ночь улитса фонарь аптека...".

Thanks,
Grace
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Grace,
hggarrett wrote: does anyone know of any poems I could practice with?
How about Pushkin? I know a poem.
http://feb-web.ru/feb/pushkin/texts/push10/v03/d03-214.htm
I've forgot how I found this page. Maybe I used google.

I wonder if you record for Multilingual Short Works Collection 004.

Cheers,
Masa
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

Thank you, that is perfect! :D

I didn't know about the multilingual collection, maybe I'll try it!

Thank you!
Grace
nente

Post by nente »

hggarrett wrote:Hello! My name is Grace. I just finished my first year of Russian at Portland State University. Eventually, I'd love to try recording in Russian! My accent and reading fluency probably won't be good enough for another year or two, but does anyone know of any poems I could practice with? I memorized a short Alexander Block poem for class, but I'm not sure if it's PD. It started with "ночь улитса фонарь аптека...".

Thanks,
Grace
Hello Grace!
I was going to suggest Esenin to you, as his poems are frequently very song-like and easy to read, also he's closer to modern times and language. But then realized that I don't have the faintest idea about the copyright status of his writings, it's always such a problem with Russian texts... So here you are the links to a couple of short and at the same time unbelievably famous Lermontov poems:

http://www.klassika.ru/stihi/lermontov/v-minutu-zhizni.html
http://www.klassika.ru/stihi/lermontov/beleet-parus-odinokoj.html

Librivox doesn't have them, and only one poem by Lermontov at all yet. Don't be afraid to try!
Personally, I don't have technical ability to record now, but I would be very happy to promote Russian here by every other means. So if you record anything at all, I'll certainly PL.

Nadya
Always ready to PL anything in Russian/Ukrainian - please ask in need!
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

Thank you Nadya! I will practice those!
vvinnie

Post by vvinnie »

Hello. I'm a Russian. I live in Russia.
Sorry My English is rather bad.
But my Russian is perfect. So I'd like to participate in this your project.
As far as I understand many people want to listen and read the masterpeace of Bulgakov « Master and Margarita» in Russian and in English, but it can be done only in 2018.
What a pity!
What if we BEGIN to record it ? It will take a lot of efforts and time ... So may be we'll have finished it by 2018 ?

if someone wants to listen Leo Tolstoy's audiobooks in Russian, Do let me know. Leo Tolstoy is my favourite writer I'll record it for you.
Moderators! Feel free to correct my post if you see a mistake.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

vvinnie,

Welcome to Librivox! We are glad to have you as part of the community.

The first step is for you to complete a 1 minute test. This is not an audition, but it is an important process to make sure that your technical settings are correct so that we can utilize your recordings. There's information on the 1 minute test here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Once you get an OK on your test, we recommend that you start by recording a couple of sections for group projects. You can find a list of open projects on the various Readers Wanted Forums. If you want to read in Russian, you might consider contributing to one of the Multilingual collections, for example Multilingual Short Works here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=44507&hilit=multilingual

This allows you to learn our system under the guidance of a Book Coordinator. Many people do not realize how much work is involved in recording - what with the actual recording, then editing, proof listening your file, and correcting any comments of the project proof listener - people often spend 3 hours for each hour of recorded material that they submit. It's important that you have a bit of experience with the process before you decide to begin a project on your own.

As to recording Master and Margarita, Librivox only records books in the public domain and unfortunately, we must wait for the book to become PD before we start to record it.

Again, welcome to Librivox and we look forward to having another Russian reader and proof listener join our team!

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Master and Margarita was published in 1967, so it won't be public domain in the USA until January 1, 2063. (95 years from publication for works published 1964–1977.) :(
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
happymindsparker

Post by happymindsparker »

Hi, I would also like to contribute a short work. I'm a native Russian speaker. Here is the link to my 1-minute test in the 'Listeners wanted' forum.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44981
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello happymindsparker san,

Welcome to LibriVox. I hope you enjoy it here.

Please record something short at Multilingual Short Works Collection 007.
There are already 3 Russian recordings.

Cheers,
Masa
Praeivis

Post by Praeivis »

Russian?? :hmm: I don't know... I prefer French. But if you could propose something really worthy I don't know... Maybe... But I am not sure :hmm:

P.S. Sorry, but I don't write English at all.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Praeivis wrote:Russian?? :hmm: I don't know... I prefer French. But if you could propose something really worthy I don't know... Maybe... But I am not sure :hmm:

P.S. Sorry, but I don't write English at all.
I could swear my French was nowhere :| , but if you say that you don't write English, then my French must be improving - I understand every word in your post 8-)

To answer your very first question: yes, Russian! Let's! Обязательно! I just recently joined with the idea in mind to expand the collection of Russian books on LV. I'll do what I can, given that time is mostly what's needed for this, and that's the only real limitation. I think it of utmost importance to make all literary works as available as possible, in all languages (French, too :wink:).

Happy recording!

tovarisch
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please