[Greek] New Testament

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
ekaitz

Post by ekaitz »

I'm learning Greek from a textbook without audio, but was having some problems knowing how to pronounce words. I looked on Librivox but this project hasn't been started yet. It would be neat to get at least part of the Greek New Testament on Librivox. At the moment there is no Greek texts I think.

We couldn't use the NA27 text because that's not Public Domain, but I heard that the Numerical Text, and the Westcott & Hort, both of which are in the Public Domain are basically the same.

What do people think of this idea? Are there any people who are able to read Greek properly?
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

I think this is a good idea and I intend to put up one of the shorter epistles as a solo. Books can, and have, been written about how Latin and Greek should be pronounced, and it is an enormous and controversial subject, complicated by history and tradition, and of course the native language and accent of whoever is doing the readings. hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I don't know any ancient Greek, so I couldn't help with a reading of the New Testament, but I do know of something that might help you with pronunciation of ancient Greek. It's called "The pronunciation & reading of Ancient Greek" by Stephen G. Daitz. Here's its page on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pronunciation-Reading-Ancient-Greek-Living/dp/1579700969/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195151684&sr=8-2

It's an audio CD where he gives fairly detailed instructions on how to pronounce ancient Greek (at least scholars' best approximation of it), along with several examples from ancient texts.

I've never listened to it, but I did listen to the one he did on Classical Latin, and it was very helpful.

You might also be able to find it at a local library. That's where I got it. Hope that helps.

-Leon
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
JWMcCalvin

Post by JWMcCalvin »

There are also websites with text and audio guides to pronunciation, for example, http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/

There was a time when one could not consider oneself truly learned without being able to read Greek.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

I can read the Greek script but personally prefer to pronounce it according to the Modern Greek/Byzantine method. This is the method which the Greek Orthodox Church has used for two thousand years and continues to use in its liturgy.

Furthermore, it is the closest pronunciation to the way that the New Testament itself would have originally been pronounced. The method now taught in universitites (outside of Greece) is a reconstructed pronunciation (called the "Erasmus" pronunciation). This is reconstructed to represent Classical Greek pronunciation, as spoken during the times of Plato, Socrates, etc. It does not in any way represent the Koine or New Testament Greek pronunciation actually used in the time of the Apostles.

So, obviously, to be more historically accurate, and from general stylistic reasons, I would prefer to pronounce the New Testament according to Modern Greek/Byzantine method and not the Erasmus method taught in most non-Greek universitites. The Erasmus pronunciation would have sounded bizarre to the early first century Christians and New Testament authors.

Nicholas
HowieJ

Post by HowieJ »

check out www.greekbiblestudy.org

they have audio for both old testament and new testament greek I believe. The audio is boring though...not sure how accurate...but then again seminary greek - vs. what actually would have been is of course different.

I know they have both, not sure they have audio for both.

It's a really good site and I highly recommend it! Not just for people learning Greek but for everyone (since everyone should learn Biblical Greek - right ;) ?).

Keep up the good work with Biblical Greek!!!

I have an account there too, so if you like I can pm you my email, and so we can share notebooks or whatever.

I don't have many notes, since I've abandoned my Greek studies due to the pressure and time commitment of school. But I intend to have notes and start studying again soon.