[Greek] help needed [RECEIVED]

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

OK, this is from a chapter about inspecting schools:

This is New Testament Koiné Greek:

Κρῆτες ἀεὶ ψεῦσται, κακὰ θηρία, γαστέρες ἀργαὶ

Could someone Greek please record themselves saying this so I can imitate? If it helps I am told that:
The transliteration is: Kreetes aei pseustai, kaka theeria, gasteres argai. (Where "ee" indicates the long-e η character.)

Thank you

p.s it seems that the η [with a tilda over it in one case, and with no tilda later in the quote] is controversial and there is wide scholarly disagreement about how to say this.
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Koine Greek is more straightforward than ancient Greek. You can even hear it in Google translate
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=%CE%9A%CF%81%E1%BF%86%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%82%20%E1%BC%80%CE%B5%E1%BD%B6%20%CF%88%CE%B5%E1%BF%A6%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B1%CE%B9%2C%20%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%BA%E1%BD%B0%20%CE%B8%CE%B7%CF%81%CE%AF%CE%B1%2C%20%CE%B3%CE%B1%CF%83%CF%84%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%B5%CF%82%20%E1%BC%80%CF%81%CE%B3%CE%B1%E1%BD%B6&op=translate

(hope the link works) each time you click the speaker button below the text to hear it, it alternates between normal speed and a bit slower. Let me know if that helps, otherwise I will record an even shower version.

Stressed syllables in capitals:
KREE-tes a-EE PSEF-steh, ka-KA thee-REE-a, ga-STE-res ar-YEH
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

Rapunzelina wrote: July 8th, 2022, 3:38 am Koine Greek is more straightforward than ancient Greek. You can even hear it in Google translate
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=%CE%9A%CF%81%E1%BF%86%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%82%20%E1%BC%80%CE%B5%E1%BD%B6%20%CF%88%CE%B5%E1%BF%A6%CF%83%CF%84%CE%B1%CE%B9%2C%20%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%BA%E1%BD%B0%20%CE%B8%CE%B7%CF%81%CE%AF%CE%B1%2C%20%CE%B3%CE%B1%CF%83%CF%84%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%B5%CF%82%20%E1%BC%80%CF%81%CE%B3%CE%B1%E1%BD%B6&op=translate

(hope the link works) each time you click the speaker button below the text to hear it, it alternates between normal speed and a bit slower. Let me know if that helps, otherwise I will record an even shower version.

Stressed syllables in capitals:
KREE-tes a-EE PSEF-steh, ka-KA thee-REE-a, ga-STE-res ar-YEH
That works! Thank you :thumbs:
I'm a geek. I wreck my computer. Then I fix it.
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I have a phrase in Greek that I need help with, please. e« tow iviavrov to eap e^apaiprjTai, it is from page 735 of Cambridge Modern History. Could someone translate, so that I might, hopefully, repeat? I have no background in Greek but will do the best I can, thank you.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Rose! I hope this helps: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/greek_phrase.mp3
I tried slow and normal, so I said it twice. I think it means that Spring is excluded by itself, or something like that.
I would transliterate it as:
ek too eh-nee-af-TOO to EH-ar ex-ah-REH-ree-teh
If you are able to, roll the Rs.
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi Rapunzelina, thank you so much with the help with the Greek reading. I practiced listening to your tape and I hope I did it some justice. I will not be mistaken for a Greek speaker. Thank you again.
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi, I need help with some Greek, please. ‘jro'heug on page 71 of David Hume and His Influence on Philosophy. Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Rose! Enriching your Greek vocabulary :D

Let me know if this helps: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/nomo-poleos.mp3
two words, stress on the capitalized syllables: no-MO PO-le-os

PS: just to make sure, it is the phrase following "to worship the Gods", correct?
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Thank you again, Rapunzelina, it was the correct place. I was thankful that there were no "R's" in this one as only my eyes seem able to roll. Rosie
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi, it's me again with some Greek; actually quite a bit that I need help with:

ὀρθρο-φοιτο-συκοφαντο-δικο-ταλαίπωροι τρόποι: and

ἀνδρῶν δ’ οὒχ ἡγεῖτο περικλυτὸς Ἀξιόκερκις,
στῇ δ’ ἀπάνευθε μάχης πεφοβημένος εἵνεκα μίτρης:

These lines are from HMI: Inspector of Schools, pages 84-85

Thank you for any help you can give me again.
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

May I have some help with Greek passages, please

ὀρθρο-φοιτο-συκοφαντο-δικο-ταλαίπωροι τρόποι: and

ἀνδρῶν δ’ οὒχ ἡγεῖτο περικλυτὸς Ἀξιόκερκις,
στῇ δ’ ἀπάνευθε μάχης πεφοβημένος εἵνεκα μίτρης:

These lines are from HMI: Inspector of Schools, pages 84-85

Thank you
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Rosie, Sorry I missed your first post.

Wow, that's some next level Greek!

Here's my rendition, and how I'd transliterate it: (capitalized syllable is where the stress goes.)

Hope this helps! :thumbs:
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi Rapunzelina, thank you again for your help. I even rolled a couple of r's. That was fun!
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

Hi, I have a little Greek I need help with, please. ἄναξ ἀνδρῶνm is on page 273 0f HMI, Inspectors of Schools. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Rosie!

Here's how I would say it: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/anax.mp3 Anax andrON

And an r-rolling opportunity :D