Help a Newbie!

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
DaveWindell

Post by DaveWindell » October 11th, 2018, 1:58 am

Hi to all. I am DaveWindell a Newbie and not at all tech-savvy. The Guides and videos are great but I have one doubt. I have a Marantz USB microphone (which I'm told is a reasonable one) but I have to turn the 'recording volume' up to nearly 100% otherwise the 'playback volume' is really quiet. Is this normal or have I set up the mic or Audacity software wrongly in some way? All and any advice would be really welcome. Thanks in advance,
DaveWindell

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » October 11th, 2018, 5:23 am

DaveWindell wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 1:58 am
... I have to turn the 'recording volume' up to nearly 100% otherwise the 'playback volume' is really quiet...
Dave,

Did you know that Audacity also has the speaker slider that can make your playback louder? I am not sure what you mean by "playback volume", that's why I ask.

We also use 'Checker' software that can report what the volume is (see its "Information" page). You can install and run your MP3 through it to make sure.

Also, a good indicator that your volume is sufficient is the fact that the peaks of your waveform in Audacity reach to about 0.5 mark, like in this picture:

Also, when asking about a recording it's a good idea to export an MP3 or a FLAC and upload it (and provide a link to it in your posting). Use 'tests - tests' for "MC" in the uploader.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » October 11th, 2018, 6:45 am

He posted the same question in the "HELP! I have an Audacity Problem" thread. And it was answered there (as well).
viewtopic.php?p=1513958#p1513958

Locking this thread.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com