[DUTCH] Just a few names

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » August 8th, 2018, 10:42 am

Hi all. Just hit a section in a book I'm reading right now where I'm having some trouble. Could anyone here help me figure out how to pronounce some of the Dutch names mentioned here? Thanks. :-)

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015014757473;view=1up;seq=80
Help Us Finish These Projects:
The Dream (Joanna Baillie)
The Book of American Negro Poetry (multiple authors)
The Vampire; or, The Bride of the Isles (J.R. Planché)

My computer died. Might be a little slow to respond.

supermikhail

Post by supermikhail » August 11th, 2018, 7:27 am

You've 100% already found the answers somewhere else, but:

"Pieter" exactly the same as the English "Peter".

"De Hooch" - "e" is a "schwa" sound, so I suppose it's as if you were pronouncing "the" in a racist manner; "Hooch" is the German "Hoch", if you've heard expressions with that; alternatively, phonetically it's "ho:h", with a long "o", like in "bored".

"Gerard Terburg" - "Hair-art" - starts with an "h" sound; the "u" is like in French; alternatively, the vowel in "due" and "hue"; the final "g" is also an "h" sound; oh, the stress in the last name should probably fall on the second syllable, but you know...

"Adriaen van de Velde" - I'm actually not sure about this, I think it's old orthography. On the other hand, there's videos on Youtube where they pronounce the name exactly like the English "Adrian". And the "v"s in the last name are "f"s.

"Gerard Dou" - "ou" corresponds to the sound for "ow" in the English "brown", "clown", "down".

...Oh, apparently at least some (if not all) of these names are pronounced by native speakers on forvo.

Foon

Post by Foon » August 13th, 2018, 1:34 am

Hi Chuck,

If this is still on time:
https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/dutchnames.mp3

Cheers,
Foon
Foon - Constructive criticism is always welcome!

Swanhilde (Fairy tales) || Junior Classics Vol. 4 (Heroes and Heroines) || Biscuits and Bills (One-Act Comedy) || Arabian Nights (Vol. 9) || Bumper the White Rabbit (Children)