Metadata Anthony Trollope The Prime Minister [SOLVED; App issue]

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

I downloaded this file onto my Android phone and onto my laptop today, and on both devices quite a few chapters are out of order.

8-)
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Did you download the zip file or the individual files ?

Anne
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Sorry so long in responding.

I downloaded it as a zip. But, as I mentioned in my post just now on the Eustace Diamonds (also Trollope) section scramble I experienced, I have had the same problem downloading The Prime Minister onto three devices -- my phone, my laptop and a friend's desktop. (When I first posted re: this issue I had only tried my phone and laptop.)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

If you can afford to take up the extra space temporarily, could you try downloading the 128kb files which should retain the track number and see if they still play out of order? Also it might be helpful to know what software you are using to listen.
Jo
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Thanks for keeping track of this. I had the same issue with another Trollope novel, and we've figured out the problem -- it's the current version of my music player software. In another thread, I explained yesterday:

Problem understood, possibly solved -- I think. 8-)

I just re-downloaded The Eustace Diamonds to phone and laptop, with these results: There was no scrambling of files downloaded to and played on my laptop. I copied and extracted the zip file to my phone, where my file manager displayed them correctly, but my music player app both displayed and played them out of order. That is, the files were scrambled by the Samsung Music app. However, this is a relatively recent problem: about four years ago I downloaded this book and the earlier version of the app displayed and played the files in the right order. So it’s the current version of Samsung Music that’s scrambling files.

NB: Samsung increasingly dominates the smart phone market. (It now has over 40% of international market share; Apple’s iPhone sales have been dropping commensurately; other competitors are minor players.) That is, more Samsung users --> more Samsung Music users --> more scrambled files --> more problems for LibriVox listeners. But there’s an easy work-around: download a different audio-player app. (I just installed Smart Audiobook Player – free basic version, no ads, $2 full version). And Samsung will probably find a fix. Sometime.

Thanks for your help, which allowed me to figure out I only needed a new audio app. I’m sorry I got it wrong to start with (but the book was playing out of order on two computers as well as my phone … unsolved mystery).

Anyhow, if this does become a more frequent problem, there’s a simple solution.*
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!