Firefox gives a warning if you try to download from Librivox

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
AldertJan

Post by AldertJan »

https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2021/10/05/firefox-93-protects-against-insecure-downloads/

When I try to download audio books from Librivox, I get a warning from my Firefox browser, like you see in the link above.
Is there anything I can do about it?

Aldert Jan de Haan
Delft
Netherlands
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Due to increased security settings in the latest versions of most browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, etc), you are seeing that warning because some of the links on the site are http while others are https. There is no security issue, but the site is flagged because of mixed content as a result.

In Chrome and Edge there is an easy way to change the settings for librivox.org to allow mixed content on our site. There should be a similar way to do this in Firefox. Option number 4 below works for me in Firefox.

Here are some options to circumvent this issue:

Potential Fixes/Workarounds:

1. Try a different browser

2. Download directly from the archive.org page for the project (linked on the catalog page) Note you are downloading the exact same zipfile either way. The download link on the catalog page is a link to the download for the 64kb zip file on the IA page. All our files are stored/hosted by IA and linked on the catalog pages.

3. Right-click the download button and copy the link address. Paste this in the URL address box and press enter.

4. Right-click the download button and choose Save Link As - In the window that opens, choose a folder to save it to and click Save

5. Enable mixed content in your browser.

Hope this helps.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Specifically for FireFox -

Right-click the download button and choose Save Link As - In the window that opens, choose a folder to save it to and click Save

of

Click the download button on the LV catalog page. If an error message comes up that the download could not be saved, because the source file could not be read, click OK to close the download window. Then at the top right of the menu bar, find the downloads button and click it. Find the failed download in the list of downloads and click the symbol at the right to retry download. The download should proceed.
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This should be resolved. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart