[Fixed] Short Science Fiction Collection 080

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
wwhite

Post by wwhite »

The Unparalleled Invasion by Jack London, section 12 in Short Science Fiction Collection 080

https://librivox.org/short-science-fiction-collection-080-by-various/

Names of fictional US President and Secretary of State in this futuristic short story (published in 1910, set mainly in the 1970s) are replaced by real US President and Secretary of State in 1980s (President Reagan and Alexander Haig). I find this intentional text substitution disturbing. Please communicate with the reader and proofreader to prevent this happening again.

22:55 President Moyer replaced with President Reagan

23:17 Rufus Cowdery replaced with Alexander Haig

Thank you,
Wanda White
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thank you for the message. We'll definitely be having this corrected, as it's a violation of our "no changing the text" policy.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

The story has been taken down. This was my collection so I take the blame. All others involved have been spoken to about the surprising issue.
Thanks for catching the problem.
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
JamesJenkins

Post by JamesJenkins »

TriciaG wrote: August 8th, 2021, 2:27 pm Thank you for the message. We'll definitely be having this corrected, as it's a violation of our "no changing the text" policy.

I proof listened to this work, I do not notice the change.

Can you provide a link to the "no changing the text" policy?

The level of proof reading on was "standard"
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87787

I do not see any mention of this in the "Guide for Proof-listeners" in fact just the opposite. "It is NOT necessary for you to follow along with the text; just listen as you would normally."
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

Per PG, change is permitted.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1075/1075-h/1075-h.htm
You may use this eBook for nearly any purpose such as creation of derivative works, reports, performances and research. They may be modified and printed and given away--you may do practically ANYTHING with public domain eBooks.
This post uses 100% recycled electrons
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Our text policy regarding changes is here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies#May_I_change_the_text.3F
"We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions."
Yes, since the text is public domain, it is in principle allowed to make changes and derivatives (that's what our audiobooks are), to sell the books or put them online everywhere etc. That's what gutenberg is telling you here.

However, we do not allow changes to the texts and never have.
Mostly this comes up when people are uncomfortable using the n-word or other outdated slurs against races, ethnicities, religions etc. and we tell them to either read as written or to relinquish their claim.

I like to explain that we're like a library with original books without commentary (no margin notes).
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Here, in our wiki, under "May I change the text?"

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Recording_%26_Text_Policies#May_I_change_the_text.3F
May I change the text?

Occasionally people ask if they can change the published text, for instance by omitting or substituting offensive words or ideas.

The answer is No. We present the text as it is written: no additions, omissions, or substitutions. If the text contains a word you just cannot say, consider choosing something else to record. (There is so much available to record! No need to cause yourself discomfort.) If you wish to make an "editorial comment" about the content of the text, you may do so in the written catalog summary, but you may not add it to the recording.
I don't know where you live, but it seems like most American listeners' ears would perk up when a story written years before had President Reagan in it (perhaps less so, Alexander Haig). The author wasn't clairvoyant. ;) However, it is something that a PL could simply not notice and let by. The reader should have known that we don't change the text.

(Availle typed faster.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
JamesJenkins

Post by JamesJenkins »

It seems to me like The standard level of proof reading. Does not exist on LibriVox.

I suggest you stop advertising it and listing it as an acceptable level for work submitted.

Amy

I have enjoyed working with you. Thank you.

I think I am done here, good bye.

James
This post uses 100% recycled electrons