[FIXED]missing text Secret Garden ?

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Proof listening - they missed a bit: 12 seconds blank in a recording of "The Secret Garden", read by ahleighjane

Sorry to contact you direct – I don’t understand how the Forum works, and I don’t know which subject to post this under.

There is a 12-second blank in the middle of this recording.

Your page https://librivox.org/the-secret-garden-by-frances-hodgson-burnett-2/

Link address http://www.archive.org/download/secret_garden_1105_librivox/secretgarden_03_burnett.mp3

The track is 7 minutes 28 seconds long.

There is a 12-second blank starting at 6 mins 44 seconds, until 6 mins 56 seconds.

It’s a lovely story, but what happened in that 12 seconds??!

Hope you can fix it – please let me know if so.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I just noticed this error message from April. I checked, and the gap is still there. The reader's not been on the forum since June 2017; have we any way of getting a voice match for the missing seconds?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ashleigh had a very distintive voice I think . What is the missing speech ? would we be able to find the words somewhere else in the recording ?

Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Near the end of Chapter 3: in the HTML, the gap runs from after "Very well, Mr Pitcher ..." in line -7 to Just before "And then Mary Lennox was led up ..." in line -5
“Very well, Mr. Pitcher,” Mrs. Medlock answered. “So long as I know what’s expected of me, I can manage.”

“What’s expected of you, Mrs. Medlock,” Mr. Pitcher said, “is that you make sure that he’s not disturbed and that he doesn’t see what he doesn’t want to see.”
I think it would be fairly difficult to jigsaw a substitute in. It might be better to delete that section from after "Very well Mr. Pitcher" to "... see what he doesn't want to see":
A neat, thin old man stood near the manservant who opened the door for them.

“You are to take her to her room,” he said in a husky voice. “He doesn’t want to see her. He’s going to London in the morning.”

“Very well, Mr. Pitcher,” ...

And then Mary Lennox was led up a broad staircase and down a long corridor and up a short flight of steps and through another corridor and another, until a door opened in a wall and she found herself in a room with a fire in it and a supper on a table.
... or (specially as the OP wanted to know what happened in the missing 12 seconds) we could put a sample in "Help wanted" and ask for an approximate voice match for the couple of lines. I'm no good with accents, so can't localise Ashleigh's, but knowing her region might make it simpler for a volunteer to suggest herself. I can think of one reader whom I think would be a fair match, although a little higher pitched.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've just removed the space and a couple of words. I don't think knowing her guardian doesn't want to see her because he is going to London is an essential part of the plot and the reader is not available

Anne