[OK] confusion in Moral Sentiments

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
RossKlatte

Post by RossKlatte » February 15th, 2019, 9:39 am

https://librivox.org/the-theory-of-moral-sentiments-by-adam-smith/

The Theory of Moral Sentiments (First Edition)
Adam SMITH (1723 - 1790)

the Online text link points to
https://www.adamsmith.org/smith/tms/tms-index.htm
which reports:
"We couldn't find the page you were looking for. This is either because:
There is an error in the URL entered into your web browser. Please check the URL and try again.
The page you are looking for has been moved or deleted."
The Adam Smith Institute apparently presents only summaries at
https://www.adamsmith.org/the-theory-of-moral-sentiments

The essay can be found on Gutenberg at
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/58559/58559-h/58559-h.htm
which is transcribed from
https://ia902608.us.archive.org/2/items/essaysonimoralse00smitiala/essaysonimoralse00smitiala.pdf

In Librivox's
Play
31 31 - Part VI Section III Chapter II - Chapter III JenniferW
00:28:58
the Reader mistakenly reads "Section 3" rather than Section 2
and the title also says "Section III" rather than Section II.
This reading number 31 should be placed between numbers 26 and 27 (and retitled)

Librivox Section 26, instead of being titled simply
26 - Part VI: Section II
would be more accurately titled
26 - Part VI: Section II: Intro - Chapter I

Part Ⅵ.—Of the Character of Virtue,
SECTION Ⅱ.—OF THE CHARACTER OF THE INDIVIDUAL, SO FAR AS IT CAN AFFECT THE HAPPINESS OF OTHER PEOPLE,
CHAPTER Ⅱ.—Of the Order in which Societies are by Nature recommended to our Beneficence.
THE same principles that direct the order in which individuals are recommended to our beneficence, direct that likewise in which societies 202 are recommended to it. Those to which it is, or may be of most importance, are first and principally recommended to it.
Part Ⅵ.—Of the Character of Virtue,
SECTION Ⅱ.—OF THE CHARACTER OF THE INDIVIDUAL, SO FAR AS IT CAN AFFECT THE HAPPINESS OF OTHER PEOPLE,
CHAPTER Ⅲ.—Of Universal Benevolence.
THOUGH our effectual good offices can very seldom be extended to any wider society than that of our country; our good-will is circumscribed by no boundary, but may embrace the immensity of the universe.

At the end of Librivox Section 31, the reader announces the end of the book, prematurely. (It should be followed by Librivox Section 27.)

Furthermore,
Part VII, some 70 pages, is missing in its entirety.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 15th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Thanks for the note , but...
The title clearly states first edition and when I checked the thread, I found there was a suggestion that they could read the 6th edition next.
Based on that, which seems to me to mean they are sufficiently different to warrant the suggestion, and that the text you give seems to be the 6th edition, unless we can find an online first edition we shouldn't change anything .

Anne

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 15th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I found this written by Adam Smith
Since the first publication of theTheory Of Moral Sentiments, which was so long ago as the beginning of the year 1759, several corrections, and a good many illustrations of the doctrines contained in it, have occurred to me. But the various occupations in which the different accidents of my life necessarily involved me, have till now prevented me from revising this work with the care and attention which I always intended. The reader will find the principal alterations which I have made in this New Edition, in the last Chapter of the third Section of Part First; and in the four first Chapters of Part Third. Part Sixth, as it stands in this New Edition, is altogether new. In Part Seventh, I have brought together the greater part of the different passages concerning the Stoical Philosophy, which, in the former Editions, had been scattered about in different parts of the work. I have likewise endeavoured to explain more fully, and examine more distinctly, some of the doctrines of that famous sect. In the fourth and last Section of the same Part, I have thrown together a few additional observations concerning the duty and principle of veracity. There are, besides, in other parts of the work, a few other alterations and corrections of no great moment…. [From the Advertisement.]
Anne

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » February 15th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Since the e-text link is completely defunct, I've removed it.
The Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Report of the President's Commission on Immigration and Naturalization (1953)
Christmas Lore: LINK
Proofs The Earth Isn't a Globe! LINK

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise » February 15th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Thanks - I can't find a first edition eText anywhere so far

Anne