Remember me???

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

When you log in you have the option of checking a box that says “Remember me”. When I check it, I don’t find that it does anything. I might be remembered and although that’s nice, I expected that it would obviate the need to re-enter the password again (and again) (and again). Obviously, I don’t understand what it’s supposed to do. Am I doing something wrong, my expectations too high, what’s up with that?
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

It depends on how you get to that page.

Are you always using the same computer/device?
Are you always using the same browser?
Do you shut your browser down every now and then or are you using its "private mode"?

What the "remember me" is doing is to set a cookie that notices when you come back again to a certain page (works only on the same device/browser etc.) and then the username/password should be entered in the form already. You still have to login of course, but all you have to do is to click the login button.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Thanks, Ava. I'm using an iPhone X. Today, for example, I received email notification there were messages in 3 threads I am following. I logged on with my username and password for the first link and checked "Remember me". After reading the LV message, I returned to my email program and clicked on the second link and had to re-enter the username and password, again clicking remember me. Same thing with the third link.

I don't have that issue with other devices, both Windows computers. Maybe it's something unique to my phone? :hmm:
Fritz

"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labors of a spasmodic Hercules."

Trollope
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I assume you're not logging out in between... :wink:

I am not sure what causes the issue, but it seems that when you go back to the email program, somehow the knowledge that you're still logged in is missing (for lack of a better explanation), and also the knowledge of the "remember me" did not transfer fast enough? I don't know enough about iPhones and their browser, so I can't tell you what's happening.

Of course, a "remember me" only works for a single device. If you are "remembered" on your windows machine and then switch to your iPhone, you will not be remembered there and vice versa; only the device/browser from your last login will be stored.

Sorry I can't help you with this one...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
pschempf

Post by pschempf »

Phoo! Supposedly ios12 has some new feature facilitating auto filling passwords. I’ll see if there’s something there that can give some help. Thanks anyhow! :thumbs:
Fritz

Trollope
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Mine works most times but drops out at intervals, I've never been able to work out for sure why but have been told some sites won't let you stay logged in forever and that software updates often force restarts so I just decided to grin and bear it :D

Anne