[OK] Tags in generated files missing and worse

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I downloaded the 64bit MP3s for https://librivox.org/the-pit-prop-syndicate-by-freeman-wills-crofts/ in hopes to listen (using the link on the page in our catalog).

It did surprise me that so recently catalogued (catalogged?) item would not have any MP3 tags in the generated (64kbps) files. They do exist in the 128kbps files (I only checked 4 of them). OK, no big deal, thought I, I'll just set the track numbers myself (Android player I use needs track numbers to order the tracks correctly). All was going well until file #9, which refused to be edited. Turns out, it wan't the only one. I downloaded four 128kbps instead and will use those to listen to the book.

Synopsis:
* generated 64kbps MP3 files don't have MP3 tags copied to them (author, etc.);
* generated files for sections 9, 11, 17 and 19 are defective in the sense that they don't allow adding MP3 tags.

I don't know if this can be fixed. You could send it to be re-derived, I suppose, but what's to prevent the same trouble from happening again even for the same book?

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know.

Thanks!
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

OK, a correction: my Android phone is able to see some properties of those 64kbps MP3 files (like track titles, author), but on my Windows 7 Pro 64bit computer I am unable to see them (they are OK in the 128kbps files).
tovarisch
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've checked my downloaded 64 kb zip file and all the tags are there. We don't make the 64kb zip - Archive does them "on demand" , maybe it's a "server glitch" or something ?

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I just downloaded the 64kb zip from the link on the catalog page, unzipped the files, and confirmed that all the files have the correct tags for track #, album, artist and title. (Downloaded to PC with Win10 and Chrome browser) So it may be that your download was corrupted as Anne has suggested.
Jo
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Good, we can write it off on a glitch. Downloading from archive.org at work has always be spotty... :hmm:
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Further research helped discover that Windows 7 cannot handle ID3v2.4 tags. It handles only up to v2.3. This page talks about it.
tovarisch
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It appears to be an Archive responsibility.

I also have Win7 64 bit. I downloaded the 64k zip file, and have no ID tags. The Checker says they're ID3 v2.4 as you suggest.

I then downloaded a 128kb file. It's ID3 v2.3. So we send it to Archive as v2.3, and they derive the 64kb files as v2.4.

Personally, I always download the 128kb files (as a zip straight off Archive), so I've never noticed it before. If space isn't an issue, perhaps you could do the same?
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It's an option, of course. But I actually don't mind v2.4. I downloaded and installed Mp3tag software, which handles both. I only need it/them to make sure that the track numbers are there, to appease the Google Play Music app that need those to order the files correctly. I used to use Windows Explorer to fix the numbers, and now will continue with Mp3tag program.

At home I have Win 10, which probably handles v2.4 OK, so no problem there. Android has no problem with v2.4 either. I just was startled to find that Win 7 couldn't do it... Oh well...
tovarisch